What's new

Maybe a fake Gold dollar

G

Guest2023

I purchased a Gold Dollar W59 from Ali express. It arrived safely at my house today. Unlike others say, it doesnt cut at all right out of the box. So I tried to set the bevel and hone it. But no matter how hard I try, it doesnt take an edge.

So I looked upon others' review again. To my surprise, I found out mine looks different fron what others posted. First of all, the blade of mine looks more shiny and mirror polished whereas others' look machine finished. Second, the rivet on mine looks very different.

Could it be a fake Gold Dollar RSO?

Attachments

• 5A4F204C-A080-427F-A135-85A884186F87.jpeg
    5A4F204C-A080-427F-A135-85A884186F87.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 636915D3-6BD5-49B1-AF98-C7FBEED51C82.jpeg
    636915D3-6BD5-49B1-AF98-C7FBEED51C82.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 54

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It's either a fake W59 or one that has been modified. A third thing to note with yours is that the tail is noticeably shorter than an "original" W59.

IMG_20200723_125447.jpg
As for not taking an edge, that could be due to your honing skills or the blade's heat treatment. I have only owned 10 W59's, most bought directly from the manufacturer, and have never had a problem getting them to hold a very good shaving edge.

All mine have had the face marked with "Gold Dollar of Classic Quality". There are others offered for sale on line without any face markings. It has been said that those without may not have passed Gold Dollar's strict and thorough "quality control".

Profile Open.jpg
As received from the factory​

Last edited:
G

Guest2023

It's either a fake W59 or one that has been modified. A third thing to note with yours is that the tail is noticeably shorter than an "original" W59.

As for not taking an edge, that could be due to your honing skills or the blade's heat treatment. I have only owned 10 W59's, most bought directly from the manufacturer, and have never had a problem getting them to hold a very good shaving edge.

All mine have had the face marked with "Gold Dollar of Classic Quality". There are others offered for sale on line without any face markings. It has been said that those without may not have passed Gold Dollar's strict and thorough "quality control".
Though I am not a honing expert, I never had a problem honing 20 or more straight razors and wedge blades like Heljestrand, Wilkinson or Rolls. So I dont think my honing skill is a problem on this one.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It is possible that a previous owner of your W59 polished it mechanically. If done incorrectly, this can raise the steel temperature well above 200°C, particularly at/near the edge. Such a temperature will change the steel's physical properties.

G

Guest2023

It is possible that a previous owner of your W59 polished it mechanically. If done incorrectly, this can raise the steel temperature well above 200°C, particularly at/near the edge. Such a temperature will change the steel's physical properties.

I bought it from an Ali Express vendor. not from a private seller.

G

Guest2023

I don't know, out of all the razors to fake, a GD would be my absolute last choice. Why fake a $4 razor

I dont understand it too. but as you can see, there are noticeable differences as mentioned above. Glossy blade, shorter tail, different rivet.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't know, out of all the razors to fake, a GD would be my absolute last choice. Why fake a $4 razor
Because if someone can copy it for <$4 and then sell it on AliExpress for $15 or more, that's a nice little earner. I have seen them listed for sale on line for over $40.

Last edited:
G

Guest2023

Vendors have been known to modify before reselling.
I highly doubt it. Why would they cut the tail, polish and reheat it before they sell it at $9? It was the cheapest W59 listed on the Ali.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I highly doubt it. Why would they cut the tail, polish and reheat it before they sell it at $9? It was the cheapest W59 listed on the Ali.
I have no idea but stranger things have happened with on-line vendors. They would not purposely reheat it. That is just a byproduct of incorrect mechanical polishing.

Here they are for sale direct from the manufacturer:

Last edited:
didn't @Slash McCoy say that the factory would do what every you want when ordered in bulk, perhaps your vendor didn't order with the stamps?

did you get it sharpened? I felt that this model razor was not for me based on the edge to spine issue and completely got rid of the spine "crap".

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had one of those. It honed up well but I didn’t like the razor and gave it away. I expect it was the model Van Gough used.

G

Guest2023

didn't @Slash McCoy say that the factory would do what every you want when ordered in bulk, perhaps your vendor didn't order with the stamps?

did you get it sharpened? I felt that this model razor was not for me based on the edge to spine issue and completely got rid of the spine "crap".

Aside from the stamps, it has a shorter tail, different pivot pin and is more glossy. And the blade itself seems narrower. I don't think it is a genuine Gold Dollar razor. It never gets sharpened no matter how hard I try so I gave it up.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I had one of those. It honed up well but I didn’t like the razor and gave it away. I expect it was the model Van Gough used.
The Gold Dollar W59, bought directly from the manufacturer, is currently my most favoured SR. It takes and holds an edge that competes with a Feather DE blade in a shavette.

That Spanish point keeps your concentration up and is also good for shaving inside of nostrils and ear canals 😊.

G

Guest2023

I got refunded by Ali a moment ago. I appealed to Ali that it looked like a fake and Alie decided to favor my opinion. Now I need to look for a real Gold Dollar W59. Any recommendations?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I couldn't find any vendors on AliExpress that looked like they sold genuine OEM Gold Dollar W59 straight razors.

Here is a link to another vendor who looks like they sell genuine OEM Good Dollar W59 straight razors. They ship worldwide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom