What's new

May Monthly Discussion: Work/School Gear

Work/School Gear

$6336134-successful-business-people-at-a-corporate-meeting.jpg

From looking at my own personal gear, there are things I have that work best for my work, as well as things I do not take to work at all

We all have gear suited for the job I'm sure and this month We are going to have a look at what works best, for work, or for school.

Be it ink colours you have to use, Pens that never fail you, paper that is cheap enough as well as FP friendly, anything and everything that is stabled in the work horse category I would love to hear about

Its already May, lets make this the best Discussion yet

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im sadly back on the Pilot G2 Pens, but I have moved up to size 1.0 mm. Its a nice bold line. The Visconti 1.0mm Gel Ink was too expensive considering I was going through one a day.

I use my fountain pens for school and work, I take a lot of notes in meetings or on the phone and grad school generates a lot of notes. I need to look into a decent two or three pen case. I usually carry three pens in my orvis briefcase/satchel and I'm afraid they will scratch.

Anything with a F nib is good for work, IMO. The less ink it lays down, the less I need to worry about the paper I'm writing on. I stick with Quink Black, Lamy Blue and BBB. 3 reliable inks in colors no one can complain about. The corporate world is so plain that even blue/black stands out, so I get to have a little fun.

Any of my inks that lay in the blue or black ranges come to work with me... I do use a staples sustainable earth book

And most of my pens come to work... certain pens have that half second to start problem with some inks, and when those inks are in those pens don't come

Other then that its fair game to me

I won't take any pen >$100 to work.

I use Rhodia No. 18 top staplebound pads, Staples Arc notebooks in 5.5" x 8.5", and Clairefontaine 3.5" x 5.5" staplebound notebooks... depending on the situation.

Pilot and Sheaffer anything loaded with black and red (or amber) works best at work for me. I do contract review and spec compliance so it's almost mandatory for my own sanity to have something other than black to mark-up with. My other go-to implements are a black PaperMate flair and fine point Sharpie.
Work is boring. That's why I keep a journal and a third pen (usually) and something loaded with green or turquoise.

As far as pens goes, most days I take my Waterman Charleston M nib with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue, and my Sailor Samiko B with either Noodler's Nikita or more recently Sailor Jentle Epinard. I take my personal journal, and an ARC notebook that I picked up from Staples to use for projects on products in my portfolio. I also take my passport sized Moleskine for quick notes. Thinking about changing this one to Rhodia, but I'm going to wait until I order the Goulet's notebook sampler before making the change...want to try the Rhodia paper.

I have a red lamy safari that is always inked in some sort of red. Right now I have noodler's burgundy in it. Also have my parker 51 with MB toffee brown. (my fun pen with a color that is still usable for work) and my lamy studio with kon peki in it (my version of a more exciting blue) that i use for signing official documents and such. I switch out the parker 51 and the MB brown for any other pen and ink i want to rotate in.

Jason embed this...

Hand pocket
Hand pocket
Hand pocket
Hand pocket
Hand pocket

When I'm taking notes during meetings or conference calls, I use multiple colors (black, blue, red, other). I'm a very visual person, so it helps to have colorful notes. So, I'll have at least 2 or 3 pens in front of me at a time.

It's just not worth the risk to lose a pen that's either expensive or not readily replaceable. For example... my dad is tearing out his hair because he can't find his Waterman X-Pen, because he'll take any pen with him wherever he goes. He's going to have a ridiculously hard time trying to replace it, all because he didn't just leave it in his home office.

I only bring out an expensive pen when I'm doing something like signing a contract, and only if it's a special event.

I don't even loan out a Sharpie, ain't no one touching my fountain pens! Since starting in new kitchens after moving I'm not having to write much out. I've been leaving the pens at home and using a Sheaffer ballpoint. I use a Sharpie and an Expo dry erase marker for most of my stuff now. If I'm doing inventory they want it done in pencil...

I miss the Imperial in my pocket but it just doesn't get used like it did...

Edited to add I do occasionally carry a Pelikan mostly the beater 140 I scrounged together but It rarely leaves my pocket and never leaves my hand (one of the Liquor reps uses fountain pens so she fondled it once...)

Edited to add I do occasionally carry a Pelikan mostly the beater 140 I scrounged together but It rarely leaves my pocket and never leaves my hand (one of the Liquor reps uses fountain pens so she fondled it once...)

FP envy, dangerous between the sexes, especially in the work place! :ohmy:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I remember my first real job (retail) one of the bosses told me "there's 3 things you want to have on you at all times; a pen, a notepad, and a box cutter". in 14 years he's never been wrong, because every single time i've failed to have one of those 3 on me...guess what i've needed.

over the past several years (maybe 4+) my pen of choice for work has been a Uni-Ball Signo 207-medium point in blue or black ink. I can write with this pen better than any other pen, and working at OfficeMax and Office Depot for a combined 10 years i've used A LOT of pens. They are cheap enough that if I break it or loose it it's no problem to replace. They have a soft rubber grip that is just perfect. Retractable which makes it easy to use with one hand, and you'd be surprised at how often you only have one hand to work with in retail. There is just no other pen for me while working.

On the other hand...when i'm at home (which is a lot more often these days) I make it a point to only use my Lamy Safari. So's I can get better writing with a FP.

I always have a fountain pen, clicker type ball point pen, and small notebook on me wherever I am. The pens travel in a leather pen case, and they go wherever I do to prevent loss or theft. In 8 or so years of carrying fountain pens all over the world, I've never lost one (knock on wood). If I'm working, the fountain pen is usually a Pilot Vanishing Point. It's so convenient for quick notes. The ball point is if someone needs to borrow a pen. The small notebook if for lists and reminders.

I'm happy to take any pen I own anywhere with me. I just don't like pens with screw caps for work because I've never used a pen for long writing sessions at any job. The longest I'll have a pen out is when I'm editing a report or letter hard copy. That's pretty rare, though. I keep most of my pens around the house for letter writing and journaling.

I also like Arc notebooks from Staples, Rhodia notepads, and Clairefontaine notebooks.

-Andy

Last edited:
A bit out of left field, but two of the recent additions to my work stable have been:

$31311.jpg$41092.jpg

These are simply lightly padded A4-sized cases that are great for transporting documents and papers in your briefcase - they keep things together and tidy, have a few pockets for pens and other bits and pieces. The one on the left cost about $19 and the one on the right cost about $25 (both from jetpens).

Both will hold letter-sized paper and most tablets.

I've previously used file folders and other similar sorts of things to keep my briefcase organized, but these beat anything I've used hands down, look professional, and are pretty cheap to boot.

Pretty nice bit of kit. I don't do a lot of travel for business anymore, and it's not possible to take work home with me, so unfortunately I can't see them being useful for me. :crying:

Top Bottom