What's new

May 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Semogue/SV Saturday

PXL_20230318_034759028d.jpeg

I forgot about my brush and it ended up soaking in a cup of water for over 4 hours. Lather application was super soft. I may increase my boar soaking time from 5 to 10 minutes in the future.
The SV 70 scent was elegant and the lather was super slick. It was an enjoyable late afternoon cold water shave that I will give a score of 9.4 and a comfort rating of 10.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
The June thread is up. :)

Date27.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE147/365 (100%)
147/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
001_wub.gif

Gillette Black (19)Zenith 502B XSE
001_wub.gif
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave

4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Still out and everything is fine. Contemplating if Balin’s FOMO is getting to me regarding MWF - FOMO I did not previously knew I had.

I am joining brother @LJBraaten because after some tiptoeing in shallow waters I learned that I am getting a Twinplex for Father’s Day in June. Looking forward to that!

Another top tier shave with the Athena. Maybe faintly less than yesterday, but there was also less stubble to deal with than yesterday. The blade continues to perform so I will grant its 20 shave as well and we’ll see what tomorrow brings after that.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in and the end of the month is nigh

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Gillette Slim (9)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush: FS 3-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: MDC Rose

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Nivea 2-Phase AS Lotion
Bart’s Unscented ASB
Czech & Speake No.88 Cologne

Out for a wheel with the other half this evening so dig deep for some quality products to use. She’s worth it. Slim performed with aplomb with the Nacet blade. MDC Rose is such s beautiful scent and the soap performed excellently yielding a BBS finish.

If you’re in the States enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend. If you’re in 🇬🇧 enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend. And for everyone else enjoy the rest of your weekend 😎😎😎😎

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

Notes to these shaves:

Still out and everything is fine. Contemplating if Balin’s FOMO is getting to me regarding MWF - FOMO I did not previously knew I had.
I stopped reading the thread about MWF's reformulation and it helped!! That you are 'out' for the month, I bet it makes it harder for you. @silverlifter helped also with this:
Tallow is nothing magical. If MdC and SV can go without it, then it is clearly not an essential ingredient in a top tier soap.

I tried MWF (tallow) a while back, and it performs well enough, but no better than the aforementioned, although the ceramic bowl is nice.

Nostalgia for tallow, and other discontinued objects, is a key cultural plank of lots of communities like these. The scarcity provides us with a challenge, and there is status associated with the accumulation of "rare" soaps, razors, blades etc. But they all do the same job and in ten or twenty years time there will be another class of "things" that are deemed desirable, or grails, or whatever. They're just things, and their accessible counterparts are just as good at removing whiskers.
I am sure we will be able to get that ceramic bowl for a long time after the reformulation!

Hang in there man!!

I stopped reading the thread about MWF's reformulation and it helped!! That you are 'out' for the month, I bet it makes it harder for you.
Thanks for your support!

Well, it’s actually easy. If it’s the tallow and lanolin as main features - those are found in Mike’s Natural Barbershop as well as Areffa’s Discoverer and Phantom of Kyiv. I have 4 pucks of Mikes and two tubs of Areffa. And in total I think I have between 3-4 years of soap stored :eek2:

I do like MWF smell. That might be a selling point. But I used Discoverer for a head shave this month. The best soap I have used to date.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks for your support!

Well, it’s actually easy. If it’s the tallow and lanolin as main features - those are found in Mike’s Natural Barbershop as well as Areffa’s Discoverer and Phantom of Kyiv. I have 4 pucks of Mikes and two tubs of Areffa. And in total I think I have between 3-4 years of soap stored :eek2:

I do like MWF smell. That might be a selling point. But I used Discoverer for a head shave this month. The best soap I have used to date.

Cheers,

Guido
Did you order direct from Mike’s Natural soaps ? If so what was delivery cost like and how long did it take ?
It’s on my list of soaps to try but can’t seem to get it in 🇬🇧

Did you order direct from Mike’s Natural soaps ? If so what was delivery cost like and how long did it take ?
It’s on my list of soaps to try but can’t seem to get it in 🇬🇧
No brother - that’s indeed impossible directly. Mike does not export by himself. I was fortunate to have a friends visit us from the States and she brought it with her as a gift.

Areffa on the other hand is easy peasy - including after shave splash. Very quick considering her circumstances.

Still in 3 days of growth

May GRUME : 15
2023 GRUYERE : 82

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Zaza (0)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Lime Shaving Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Osma alum bloc, Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic balm

From memory, the Zaza was the first blade to actually provide me with a good shave . Today was fine, not great but fine, I am sure the AS balm had plenty to do.

W22 may.jpg

Top Bottom