What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

My guess is, they are an already existing blade, branded KCG. I wish I knew which one, so that I could get a cheap 100-pack.
So, Platinum Nacet you say ?...
:devil2:

Same here, the KCG is my favorite and most dependable blade (although it can be rougher on the neck compared to my other blades). I went into DE shaving in December 2021 (with a KCG and 3 packs of KCG blades from the local pharmacy store) and managed to stock up just shy of 200 blades for approximately 0.30-0.35 cents per blade (but currently they go for around 0.50-0.60 cents a blade which is ridiculous). Seeing as they can run for 10-14 shaves easily (but I must admit, I usually retire blades after 7 shaves) the cost per shave are very good.

I have seen other threads, forums, reviews and even mircoscoping comparisons of the KCG and other Gillettes. From my understanding the Nacet (difficult to get in the Netherlands, but roughly €0.40 per blade) appears to be the closest, but Gillette Premiums (€17 for 100) are also mentioned quite a lot. I do not have those blades in stock, so cannot say anything out of own experience.

And as with everything shave-related: YMMV.

Cheers,

Guido
Best I can factor is $.45 per KCG blade

Day 26, still out.
Day 146 of the year, 40% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got a comfortable BBS from this combination.

So, Platinum Nacet you say ?...

Must... resist... :biggrin1:

Best I can factor is $.45 per KCG blade

50p here :eek2: but can't begrudge a retail markup. I'm lucky that local shop is still in business, and selling shaving stuff.

managed to stock up just shy of 200 blades for approximately 0.30-0.35 cents per blade (but currently they go for around 0.50-0.60 cents a blade which is ridiculous). Seeing as they can run for 10-14 shaves easily (but I must admit, I usually retire blades after 7 shaves) the cost per shave are very good

Even if you did change blade every 7 days, like I tend to, you'd have 4 years of first class shaves in your stash. :thumbup:

Feel sorry for the people buying the new 5-blade offering, as that's really expensive, and doesn't even have a proper model name (as far as I could see), it's just "Gillette Labs".

Last edited:
Day 26, still out.
Day 146 of the year, 40% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got a comfortable BBS from this combination.

Must... resist... :biggrin1:

50p here :eek2: but can't begrudge a retail markup. I'm lucky that local shop is still in business, and selling shaving stuff.

Even if you did change blade every 7 days, like I tend to, you'd have 4 years of first class shaves in your stash. :thumbup:

Feel sorry for the people buying the new 5-blade offering, as that's really expensive, and doesn't even have a proper model name (as far as I could see), it's just "Gillette Labs".
I know! 👍🏻 And indeed in other parts of the world this is an insanely expensive blade. Well here too at the moment actually. I just checked: some for €1.35 per blade.

Well Gillette does know its marketing stuff. Can’t deny that.

Guido

27.05.22 27/31 (87.10% completed and still in).

No specific need to shave today, but in true BOSC fashion we did a four pass anyway. And it’s Fatip Friday!

Prep:
Cold water splash
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Gentile SE
Blade:KCG (5)
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Executive Man
Rating:
9.0/10 BBS

Extended notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11783930

Have a Great day everyone.

still in - first full fledged Bay Rum shave of the season --> DFS+

sotd.jpg

Still in

GRUME : 14/16 (every other day shaver here (and some time even more or less))

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Proraso boar brush
Soap : Sterling Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (4)
Post : Alum block, Sterling Margaritas in the Artic AS balm menthol and then the Sterling Margaritas in the Artic splash

Another rinse and repeat, nice shave, little to no irritation.

The big question :

Will it be smart to do anything else shave wise .... worth the potential issue ?

I guess Sunday shave will tell

Captain's Choice 'Soap Locker'

View attachment 1460152
View attachment 1460153

It's possible they may be coming back, but I decided not to leave it to chance.
Still out...

20220527_123752.jpg

I postponed my morning shave once I received notice the package was out for delivery. I immediately transferred the Cella from my current previous loading bowl to the Soap Locker. I still haven't shaved yet, but I plan to as soon as I finish this post. I will use the razor and blade (Colonial Razors 'The General' and Feather ProGuard) in the pic, but the brush (Zenith 505AK Manchurian) is one that came in this week. It was being held for me until June (thanks @J-MN), but I asked to complete the transaction once I declared myself out of the GRUME. The actual brush for the day will be the Zenith 506U XSE unbleached boar (another winner); the Manchurian is prepped and ready for next week.

Congratulations to those who are still in; only a few days remain so stay the course...
To those of us still out, we tried our best... or did we? :cool:

To all of you, have a GREAT weekend, be well, and stay safe...

Here we go, my first shave for 365 shaves.
  • 28/31 days in GRUME May (90.32% completed and getting ready for the final laps - and boy am I resisting purchasing goodies!)
  • 147/148 days of shaving (99.32%)
Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (5)
Brush:Omega Black Badger
Cream:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso
Passes:WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:8.0/10 BBS

Extended notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11785351

Have a Great day everyone.

Guido

Still in.

I'm enjoying twice-a-week shaves and being too lazy to post here.

I have been using Blackbird OC exclusively, I've been testing some blades and weeding out the undesirables. I'll most likely end up with 4-6 good blades in my rotation and preference and that is an acceptable variety of blades to have.

A Mail-Call from last month's purchase was delivered. I always wanted to know what it feels like to receive a Kilo brick of Vitos or Cella - now I know. It feels excellent, especially when I personally don't have to finish up this excellent soap.

IMG_20220523_115623.jpg

Palmolive creams were excellent, certainly better than any cream I've used. I'll be keeping a tube of Palmolive and about 200 gm of Vitos, the rest are all going to my friends.

A Semogue Butterscotch Mistura brush was also in the mail, and I almost fell for it but my will to keep my rotation small prevailed and it'll also be sent to a friend.

Top Bottom