What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

5 25 22.jpg

Still in!

Still in

GRUME : 13/16 (every other day shaver here (and some time even more or less))

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Proraso boar brush
Soap : Sterling Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (3)
Post : Alum block, Sterling Margaritas in the Artic AS balm menthol and then the Sterling Margaritas in the Artic splash

Rinse and repeat, nice shave, little to no irritation

Day 25, still out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

A good near-BBS.

IIRC, you had quite a winning streak going! Do you have any idea how many days in a row you went before this purchase?

As usual, I encourage you to stay the course for the rest of the month to go 30/31. Feel free to keep posting here if you're so inclined and we'll hope to see you in June!

I dropped out of the February GRUME (tracking down hard-to-get Nivea), but survived March, April and the first 23 days of May, so the winning streak was 84 days — better than I thought!

If I need to restock anything, I should have done it by June, so I've signed up for that one.

I like the KCGs a lot, well over the Silver Blues and 7 o'Clocks.
They work very well in all razors I've tried them in, but concur with them being a novelty at $1.3 per

My guess is, they are an already existing blade, branded KCG. I wish I knew which one, so that I could get a cheap 100-pack.

26.05.22 - 26/31 (83.87% completed of GRUME in May) and still in! May is not over yet and l have already signed up for GRUME in June.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminum
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.0/10 BBS

Extended notes to today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11782779

Have a Great day everyone. Ascention Day actually.

Day 25, still out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

A good near-BBS.

I dropped out of the February GRUME (tracking down hard-to-get Nivea), but survived March, April and the first 23 days of May, so the winning streak was 84 days — better than I thought!

If I need to restock anything, I should have done it by June, so I've signed up for that one.

My guess is, they are an already existing blade, branded KCG. I wish I knew which one, so that I could get a cheap 100-pack.
Same here, the KCG is my favorite and most dependable blade (although it can be rougher on the neck compared to my other blades). I went into DE shaving in December 2021 (with a KCG and 3 packs of KCG blades from the local pharmacy store) and managed to stock up just shy of 200 blades for approximately 0.30-0.35 cents per blade (but currently they go for around 0.50-0.60 cents a blade which is ridiculous). Seeing as they can run for 10-14 shaves easily (but I must admit, I usually retire blades after 7 shaves) the cost per shave are very good.

I have seen other threads, forums, reviews and even mircoscoping comparisons of the KCG and other Gillettes. From my understanding the Nacet (difficult to get in the Netherlands, but roughly €0.40 per blade) appears to be the closest, but Gillette Premiums (€17 for 100) are also mentioned quite a lot. I do not have those blades in stock, so cannot say anything out of own experience.

And as with everything shave-related: YMMV.

Cheers,

Guido

Day 26 still out.

My new Polo Super brushes (PL10, PL12, PL14) that I failed my restrains for have arrived from Isle of Man via Fedex.

The Polo 10 seems to be just right, a good upsizing from the Polo 8 which I've had for a couple of years now.
The Polo 12 is ample brush, probably bigger than the Plisson 20 which I thought was big.
The Polo 14 is something else, laughable in that it dwarfs everything else, a true BF brush. It literally does eat soap for breakfast.

The Super grade on these is incredibly soft, I guess nothing like the old versions, but meh, these were very accessible, are very well made and I'm happy.
Simpsons really do make a good brush!

proxy.php

Day 26 still out.

My new Polo Super brushes (PL10, PL12, PL14) that I failed my restrains for have arrived from Isle of Man via Fedex.

The Polo 10 seems to be just right, a good upsizing from the Polo 8 which I've had for a couple of years now.
The Polo 12 is ample brush, probably bigger than the Plisson 20 which I thought was big.
The Polo 14 is something else, laughable in that it dwarfs everything else, a true BF brush. It literally does eat soap for breakfast.

The Super grade on these is incredibly soft, I guess nothing like the old versions, but meh, these were very accessible, are very well made and I'm happy.

proxy.php
Tempting the gents here, are we 😎

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Lather: Proraso Red
Razor: Gold Dollar 208
Strop: Invisible Edge standard plus canvas backed hanging strop
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Edt: Brut

20220526_080733.jpg

Todays shave was another good bbs shave. While I love face lathering with my Beagle, I always seem to get better lather when I bowl lather with my Simpsons Trafalgar.

-Still In-
SOTD #23
BBS

A bit late today, spent the morning down at the beach.
Another nice and easy 3-pass shave today, starting to pack my travel gear for my weekend stay-cation...

Most likely will consist of:
Torga C3 Brush, Mühle R89 (Black Resin) with a fresh Med-Prep, B&M PV (SOTM), and Nivea 2 in 1 to finish things off

• No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Trafalgar T2
  • ATT SB90
  • BIC Platinum (3)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • B&M Melange Splash
  • No Post-Shave balm

Day 26 still out.

proxy.php
The chubby can literally fit inside the PL14

Top Bottom