What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

-Still In-
SOTD #21
BBS

Wonderfully calm Tuesday shave, finally. Nice contrast to yesterday's continuous work interruptions, though the interruptions (meetings) effectively pushed the shave post noon.

20min Meditative Session was a bonus.
  • No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • SOC Butterscotch Mistura
  • ATT SB90
  • BIC Platinum (1)
  • Thayer’s Astringent
  • Stirling Triumph Splash
  • No Post-Shave balm
FD437751-C91D-4C8C-94CA-F8C219B2660B.jpeg

Day 24, 77.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

I'm out ¾ of the way through — sorry about that! I was in a shop which had KCG blades in stock, so bought a packet just because I could. They add a bit of novelty to the good bulk blade rotation (Astra SP, Wizamet).

Loaded a fresh KCG, and got a comfortable near-BBS.

Still in
Pre-Shave: Hot face wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2)
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Black
Brush: Frank Shaving 3-band Silvertip
Soap: Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Nivea 2-phase ASL
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

Lovely early morning shave. as struggled to sleep. Rewarded with a BBS shave with no irritation or feedback from Alum. Lather was nice, dense and slick.

All set for a good day as picking up my new eco friendly car. Stay safe, have good shaved and keep away from temptation all 😎😎😎😎

Day 24, 77.4% complete.

I'm out ¾ of the way through — sorry about that! I was in a shop which had KCG blades in stock, so bought a packet just because I could. They add a bit of novelty to the good bulk blade rotation (Astra SP, Wizamet).

IIRC, you had quite a winning streak going! Do you have any idea how many days in a row you went before this purchase?

As usual, I encourage you to stay the course for the rest of the month to go 30/31. Feel free to keep posting here if you're so inclined and we'll hope to see you in June!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Guido75
3) @Doti B
4) @bubo_strix
5) @iver
6) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
7) @ChriWilson - SOTM
8) @Kyle89
9) Balin - GRUYERE - out (5/13: Tallowhale)
10) @Chef455
11) @mattps1 - GRUYERE - out (5/19: Simpson brush)
12) @Multum in parvo
13) @JKar
14) @cryhavoc
15) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
16) @hopper_64
17) @wes1953
18) @sandorfi - SOTM
19) @BobbyB
20) Roedeer - out (5/24: KCG blades)
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @SharpieB
23) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
24) JAHE - out (5/15: Wolfman)
25) bjm - out (5/22: Soap Locker)
26) @linty1
27) @La Malice
28) @Contact_vs_Feedback
29) @Frinstance
30) @johnottavio
31) @Dodger59
32) @FL shaver
33) @Timeclo
34) @lomfs24

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (25)
  • Vintage Floppy Fuller
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus - SOTM
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Vintage Avon Moonwind Cologne/AS
Today, I didn't rush; I cruised quickly.

A few conversations yesterday, and an evening walk with SWMBO, finally got me to realize that I'm woefully out of shape and ready to do something about it. I used to be a decent athlete (many sports growing up, tennis in high school, volleyball in college, then climbing/mountain biking/snowboarding before my child showed up), but now I get winded just messing around with our youngest dog. You wouldn't know it to look at me - I've always been slender - but I think we all know there's more to health than just your absolute weight.

So, I got up at 6:25am - a Herculean accomplishment for me - and did a walk/run around the (hilly) block, some curls with relatively light weights, sit-ups, push-ups, and a weird full-body jumping thing that combines cardio and strength. Then I did it all again. When I got done with that, SWMBO and I took two of our dogs for a walk.

After the walk, I hopped in the shower and then had a nice two-pass shave. Efficiently quick but not rushed, with very satisfying results.

And I plan to do it all again tomorrow.

Onward!

Day 24, 77.4% complete.

I like the KCGs a lot, well over the Silver Blues and 7 o'Clocks.
They work very well in all razors I've tried them in, but concur with them being a novelty at $1.3 per

25.05.22 - 25/31 (80.65% completed of GRUME in May) and still in! Man, we are close! And man is it hard sometimes. Imagine seeing a Gillette 1948 Aristocrat Junior at your local shaving shop for €70 and being in GRUME! Ouch!

Shavewise a really nice experience again. Looking forward to shave #4.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminum
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.5/10 BBS

Extended notes are available here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11782128

And @luvmysuper was kind enough to post my interview earlier this week: Guido75 Member Interview - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/guido75-member-interview.624889/

Have a Great day everyone.

The June thread is up. :)

Top Bottom