What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I am out. I may have treewhaled a little bit doomsday prepping for the Tallow Tabacalypse. When my gear arrives I will post pics.

I have set a new record for myself, 132 days no purchases!! I will be back for June and start a new streak!!
Yikes! Well, I hope all the unobtanium lives up to your expectations. Please do post the pics, and we'll look forward to seeing you in June. And, of course, your new streak could start tomorrow!

Did I miss something, or is this really our first loss of the month?? It's been a while since I looked at the list, and I didn't see any other "out" statements along the way. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also...a late addition at the bottom of the list.

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Guido75
3) @Doti B
4) @bubo_strix
5) @iver
6) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
7) @ChriWilson - SOTM
8) @Kyle89
9) Balin - GRUYERE - out (5/13: Tallowhale)
10) @Chef455
11) @mattps1 - GRUYERE
12) @Multum in parvo
13) @JKar
14) @cryhavoc
15) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
16) @hopper_64
17) @wes1953
18) @sandorfi - SOTM
19) @BobbyB
20) @Roedeer
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @SharpieB
23) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
24) @JAHE
25) @bjm
26) @linty1
27) @La Malice
28) @Contact_vs_Feedback
29) @Frinstance
30) @johnottavio
31) @Dodger59
32) @FL shaver
33) @Timeclo
34) @lomfs24

Last edited:
Last month I found an eBay seller from Ukraine who had a NOS Soviet era razor. I thought it would be a good opportunity to try something different and directly support a Ukrainian citizen. It’s a Brigantine. Came with a sealed pack of vintage Sputnik blades. A fine shaver. I went with a boat theme today. I was tempted to try a vintage blade but I went with a Wizamet that was already broken in, just in case the razor was mean. It wasn’t. A nice bit of blade feel but a very smooth shaver.

Turtleship Coconut
Semogue SOC boar
Brigantine
Wizamet (5)
VIBR

0C0CF910-A846-4CE2-988C-F734FB9AE2D9.jpeg

I am out. I may have treewhaled a little bit doomsday prepping for the Tallow Tabacalypse. When my gear arrives I will post pics.

I have set a new record for myself, 132 days no purchases!! I will be back for June and start a new streak!!
And what a day to pick to be out ;) - but in my book this still makes you the man. What a streak! I think this equals about the time I am into DE shaving since December. And I have done multiple purchases since! I think I am with @bjm on this one. My last purchase was 30 April for a new Fatip Piccolo. And man I have been biting my fingernails since starting this GRUME. But, fear not Brandon @FoolishMortal - still in! I might see you again in June @Balin - I mean, we do get one restock day right... ;)

Cheers,

Guido.

Still In
SOTD #11
DFS

Not the smoothest blade for this razor IMO, but terribly effective :302:

I can honestly say that the SOC Butterscotch and I are developing into a fine partnership.
Hopefully there will be no animosity in the stables if a Cherry or Taj handled "Caravela" knot shows up next month.
I'm of the impression that the wooden handled SOCs are smaller diameter; perhaps fitting my travel tube :LMS
Mistura knots are simply awesome :001_wub:

Still In
SOTD #11
DFS

Not the smoothest blade for this razor IMO, but terribly effective :302:

I can honestly say that the SOC Butterscotch and I are developing into a fine partnership
Mistura knots are simply awesome :001_wub:
A Mistura should be in every Den :thumbsup:

So...did you just shove seven sticks of Arko into an apothecary mug? :eek2:
You betcha! It's either 7 or 5 chopped up like poor man's banana split and pressed down like pilings. The idea was air it out that much quicker and have a valid (?) reason for a very handy apothecary mug. I've made enough frankensoaps over the years to want to try something other than grate & smoosh.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef

That's a good run, @Balin . Nothing to be disappointed in.

Answering roll call, still in. Pondering my shave at the moment. I think I hear Margaritas in the Arctic calling my name...

Day 13, 41.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Ti Handle, Wizamet SI #5
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got the open comb into play again. Mowing stubble down with it WTG and XTG is fun, but the docile safety bar version is easier for ATG, neck shaving and tidying up.

If RazoRock made a hybrid OC/SB plate, I'd buy it.

13.05.22 - 13/31 (41.84% completed). Still in.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Brush:
Omega Proraso Board
Cream:
The Alpha Men 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
KCG (4)
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green and Executive Man
Rating:
9.5/10 BBS
Comments:Smooth sailing today. Some blood apparently, but that was gone before I knew it. Even down the chin is smoother than I usually accomplish. Happy camper.

Have a very good day everyone!

14.05.22 - 14/31 (45.2% completed). Still in.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Gentile
Brush:
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Dorco ST300 HQ (5)
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9/10 BBS
Comments:Smooth sailing today. Some blood on the final pass which was a signal to retire the blade. But man! Five comfortable and smooth shave again with the Dorco. An amazing blade, who would have guessed at that price point. Somehow I do believe this blade deserves a second chance given the history of bad reviews on the web.

Have a very good day and great weekend everyone!

You did excellent work with your streak.

Though I hate to see a brother fall... I fully support your decision. It's just a question of (short) time until tallow Tabac will be gone forever...
It's already unobtainious on our side of the pond (at least here in Germany, Tabac's homebase).

Besides, you can start your new streak today... Just saying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom