What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

... and now I'm out.

Just a short glimbse on BST made me stumble.

To my defense a Wolfman WR1 head with the exact comb gaps and the exact finish I already was looking for (and even more attractive: such one being sold within Germany) isn't an offering which comes up too often, so I caved.

But I hope you don't mind me continuing to post here, though. It shall be a 30/31 Grume for me.

... and now I'm out.

To my defense a Wolfman WR1 head with the exact comb gaps and the exact finish I already was looking for (and even more attractive: such one being sold within Germany) isn't an offering which comes up too often, so I caved.

But I hope you don't mind me continuing to post here, though. It shall be a 30/31 Grume for me.
Sorry to see you're out, but it's totally understandable. It looks like your patience was rewarded. Congratulations !!

... and now I'm out.

That's a lot of chances coming together, no finger pointing here 🤝

Day 15, 48.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Ti Handle, Wizamet SI #7
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: None.

Did a basic 2-pass, getting an acceptable DFS. Skipped post-shave products completely, and the result is comfortable.

So would I, if I was chasing anything that elusive Enjoy it!

... and now I'm out.

Same from me Guido. I was literally just eyeing their website. With those prices if something comes along in Germany rather than posting from Canada and if this razor has been on your list - all systems go. That’s why we don’t have abstinence, but instead a gentlemanly restraint.
Viel Spaß mit dem Rasierhobel!

Cheers,

Guido

Blame you!?!?!? Obviously it was the esteemed gentleman's fault who posted in the BST. Psshhh.
:laugh:
Seriously, glad you found something that makes you happy in some way.
We shall see.

Wolfman is a final frontier for me, if you will. Since I joined the waiting list on New Year's Day I kind of inhaled every information I could find on the differences of the razor heads (Wr1 vs Wr2) and the gaps available. Boy, I can tell you, it can literally drive you nuts.

Finally, I narrowed it down to one WR1 setup (the one I have bought now) - a daily driver - and one WR2 setup (a whisker wacking razor for two/three days worth of growth), but the latter now is a story of another day 😉.

Since you can't beat first hand experience when it comes to shaving gear I still have to find out if one of these razors will make their way into my top 5 rotation (they should, taking their price into consideration). If not, off to the BST they'd go.

I won't keep a Wolfman razor just for the sake of owning one. But at least the itch to try this manufacturer will have stopped...

Come, try traditional wet shaving and save some money, they said. 😉

16.05.22 - 16/31 (51.6% completed) and still in. We have crossed the midway point!

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Gentile
Brush:
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Tiger Platinum (2)
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)

And random strokes during touch up.
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9/10 DFS
Comments:It is a mild blade for sure. More buffing required than usual. Yet also more comfortable than yesterday - especially after realigning the blade a bit. I need to check my shave journal to verify earlier experiences with the Tiger. Maybe open comb is better suited for this blade. Let’s say I need to work on our relationship a bit more.

Have a very good day everyone!

Still in.

Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday, RR UFO handle
Blade: Kai (1)
Soap: Trader Joe's Honey Mango (pre) + Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Zenith Boar Copper Handle
AS: Tabac
Scent: PdP 63 EdT

Simple 1 1/2 passes and a bit of touch up. First use of a Kai blade and it went well in the CG.

Added the PdP after the LOTH made a not-so-flattering comment on the Tabac!

Peace!

Last edited:
Monday May 16 - Still in

Razorock SLOC
Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Shavemac 2-Band Fan 24mm
Derby
Stirling Deep Blue Sea

IMG-4387_DSC_4387 (3).JPG

Probably and odd thing to post on a Grume thread, but I have come to trust the folks here!

I have been considering getting a TTO razor. The thoughts are that it would be helpful for "during the week quick shaves". I have a Feather Popular, and think it just ok, but going to try and run it a few more times. As you can tell, I tend to like mild-to-average razors and mostly run my Charcoal Goods Everyday, GC 68 SB and Merkur 34c most often. I have a SLOC and an open comb GC plate for the extended times between shaves. Don't really care for an adjustable (but what do I know). I don't chase BBS and care mostly about smoothness, lack of irritation and comfort.

So, your thoughts between a vintage Schick Krona or SuperSpeed vs the Popular, Weishi and its various related brothers, and Parker TTO's would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Probably and odd thing to post on a Grume thread, but I have come to trust the folks here!

I have been considering getting a TTO razor. The thoughts are that it would be helpful for "during the week quick shaves". I have a Feather Popular, and think it just ok, but going to try and run it a few more times. As you can tell, I tend to like mild-to-average razors and mostly run my Charcoal Goods Everyday, GC 68 SB and Merkur 34c most often. I have a SLOC and an open comb GC plate for the extended times between shaves. Don't really care for an adjustable (but what do I know). I don't chase BBS and care mostly about smoothness, lack of irritation and comfort.

So, your thoughts between a vintage Schick Krona or SuperSpeed vs the Popular, Weishi and its various related brothers, and Parker TTO's would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
I haven't shaved with a Feather popular to date, however, my vote goes to the Superspeed (the standard Flare Tip). It's a classic TTO razor which efficiency-wise is in the same rather mild ballpark with Merkur 34C. The Superspeed is a solidly crafted razor which is not picky regarding blade varieties.

What about a Gillette Slim? The adjustability of the Slim might be an argument, too.

<SNIP>

Thank you!
I don't think it's odd at all. Once you decide which TTO razor(s) you want to try, you can always offer a trade to acquire it/them and continue your GRUME participation. Good luck...

Last edited:
Top Bottom