What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

and closing in on my third consecutive Grume. I probably have enough in the way of consumables to see out the rest of 2022. It will likely be slim pickings by the end of the year but I’d like to aim for that. With one exception. I’m not going to pass on the Wolfman the second time around. I will allow myself that one exception when my name comes up.

SOTD

Vector
Chubby 2
SMN
ABC Tabacco Verde
View attachment 1269813
Beautiful and eloquent photo and supplies!
I am curious about the black tray? Where, if you don't mind me asking, did it come from?

@SharpieB sent to me a few months ago. Yesterday I got quite a surprise when the postman delivered an unexpected and welcome package- a tube of PdP Bergamot & Thyme balm to complement the soap, again a gift from Sharpie. My wife said "Is this Christian charity, or are you being wooed?" I laughed... it is a most generous gift from one of my favourite Maple Leaf fans... and it worked a charm! It was one of those shaves where it all came together- water, soap, brush, razor, blade, and balm, to leave me feeling clean, refreshed, and grateful... if not wooed!

Still in!
Wall based on your previous avatar, you ARE a good looking fella. Your resemblance to that King Arthur guy from Camelot is uncanny. 😜

Just Ah GRUME-en On The 21st Day!

Sloppy-super-sudsy-soapy-soupy-slippery-slither of Trumper's Rose, (used as pre-shave lather)
Jagger DE89 and Nacet blade
Trumper's bowl lather applied with RR Plissoft brush
Nautica AS

Everything is turning up Rosy!🌹

I have read forum remarks that Trumper's soaps are not as good as their creams. In my 2 cent opinion, the rose cream is excellent. I am wanting to eventually acquire more soaps but the rose cream remains a favorite.

The pre shave lather I describe above really works. For a while now, I have been reflecting on my experience that the second application of lather was more slick and cushioning than the initial first pass lather. What I am now trying is prepping my face with the watery "pre-lather" mentioned above, applied with a brush for about 30 seconds. It stays on my face while I prepare my "real" lather in a bowl. When I am ready to apply the "real" lather, I pat one additional splash of hot water on my face (removing a portion of the "pre-lather") and quickly start applying the "real" lather. So far, this has worked with several soaps and creams.

I had a great shave today.
Good Day! :letterk1:
PXL_20210521_165711327.jpg

Last edited:
Gillette Silver Blue on about shave #7 still smooth and sharp- these are really outstanding blades. The first shave is never the best, but shaves 2 and 3 the blade smooths out and then I like to ride it till the smoothness begins to fade, and that usually begins to occur between 7 and 12 shaves. The Gillette red tip Super Speed is slowly displacing the 1970s black handled SS as my fave- or is it just that after a few months I'm forgetting what a terrific shaver the black handle is??? I don't know. But the added weight of the red tip makes it a real pleasure to use.

Simpsons M7 in Best Badger. One of those shaves where at the end I say to myself "Best really IS best!" It made a delightful face lather from the Pre de Provence soap that @SharpieB sent to me a few months ago. Yesterday I got quite a surprise when the postman delivered an unexpected and welcome package- a tube of PdP Bergamot & Thyme balm to complement the soap, again a gift from Sharpie. My wife said "Is this Christian charity, or are you being wooed?" I laughed... it is a most generous gift from one of my favourite Maple Leaf fans... and it worked a charm! It was one of those shaves where it all came together- water, soap, brush, razor, blade, and balm, to leave me feeling clean, refreshed,

Owen, you make me want to dig out my Simpson 58 in Best and Red Tip.

Still in....despite Stirling dropping some interesting stuff.

I haven't shaved in two days. But have bought a new refrigerator and started restocking l the stuff that went south with the old fridge, helped a pal navigate some possible health stuff.

I'll be ready for a good shave tomorrow.

Last edited:
Owen, you make me want to dig out my Simpson 58 in Best and Red Tip.

Still in....despite Stirling dropping some interesting stuff.

The new Stirling soaps are on my reward for completing the GRUME short list. If I had not been in the GRUME those soaps would have been ordered the second I got the release email. Now I have some space to ask myself if I am really missing anything.

Although now I am in a quandary because I did order a GRUME friendly Beagle so in one sense that is a bigger reward than I had anticipated.

Beautiful and eloquent photo and supplies!
I am curious about the black tray? Where, if you don't mind me asking, did it come from?
Yeah the black tray features a lot. It’s pretty handy for putting everything together since I keep my razors outside of the bathroom. I picked it up at a furniture shop of all places, Freedom in Richmond. It’s a hard rubber type of material. Perfect size really.

Still in

and closing in on my third consecutive Grume. I probably have enough in the way of consumables to see out the rest of 2022. It will likely be slim pickings by the end of the year but I’d like to aim for that. With one exception. I’m not going to pass on the Wolfman the second time around. I will allow myself that one exception when my name comes up.

SOTD

Vector
Chubby 2
SMN
ABC Tabacco Verde
View attachment 1269813
Unbelievable! Six hours after posting this, I got an email from Wolfman confirming that they are ready for my order. 5 months after joining the wait list.

Still in but hanging by a thread...

Certainly feeling the predicament of trying out the new Stirling scents, as Stirling samples have been on my list for quite a while at this point, and was going to be my reward for completing this months GRUME.

After purchasing the Beagle and being gifted a pair of Simpson brushes for my birthday in April, it may warrant joining next months GRUME.

Been a fun and fortunate time in terms of getting into higher end brushes, that's for sure! It's just soap, and I have plenty.

Stirling scent loophole- buy the bath bars. Spot on scent in my opinion.

Unbelievable! Six hours after posting this, I got an email from Wolfman confirming that they are ready for my order. 5 months after joining the wait list.

Still in but hanging by a thread...
A well-considered purchase puts you out of the GRUME, but might not be a fail, if you know what I mean. GRUME is meant to help curb the ADs, which are compulsive...so, yeah. If you still want this razor after 5 months of waiting, that’s “considered”. If you go for it, that’s understandable.

Still in.

I missed a couple of days shave, don't know why but after each time I take a break I'm looking forward to shaving.

I felt a bit miffed for not being able to get the "Beagle", and honestly I spent an evening trying to reason with myself if it was actually a good thing for me or not?

Brush may be great, but I came to the conclusion that sometimes it's a lot better to let go of some good things as well, for the sake of keeping the sanity, and it'll will help me keep my impulses in check as well.

Bonus: I went to my list of things to get later on and eliminated almost half of the items.

I held on tight to the moment of clarity, and came out really happy about my current shaving gears.

There is no reason for angst over any items.

I'm extremely lucky to have great brushes (provided by, and purchased), that too at such an early stage, I have ample soaps, and my razors are capable of giving me a great shave.

Surely I'll purchase some stuff later on, most of them will be a good addition but nothing is actually needed right now.

With the satisfied feeling, I'm getting back to enjoying the shaving experience.

Parker Variant Adjustable (setting 4)
Shark Super Chrome (5 or 6)
Stirling Duke
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm
Alum rub, Sacred Earth ASL

I'm getting very crisp shaves from the Shark blade and it is becoming one of my favorite blades.
It'll be a pleasure to use in the August for Arko Sharko.

I'll be saving the rest of the packet for August.

Stirling Duke is continuing to provide great lather and it is a going to last longer than I expected, this was bound to happen as I have no experience finishing any soap / tube.

A 2 Pass DFS+ Shave and somehow my neck area is also DFS+

IMG_20210522_131203.jpg

Still in.

So today I switched to the ATT Windsor Pro with a GSB. This is a razor I haven't used in months with a blade a don't usually use. I proceeded to shave like a monkey on crack. Not good. I saw more weepers than I have ever had in all of my shaves combined.

You know the scenes from Band of Brothers when they are waiting to jump into France, but can't because of the fog? "NO. JUMP. TODAY." NO. SHAVE. TOMORROW.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Silver Blue and the red tip Super Speed
DR Harris' Marlborough shave stick, face lathered with a Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian
Gillette Sun Up to finish. A little bit of CeraVe moisturizer to keep the skin happy.
A classic, relaxing, and luxurious shave today. I'm still in.

Still in. Today’s shave
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (9-7-5)
Blade: Astra Blue SS (3)
Soap: MWF
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS Splash
SV Burro di Illipe
Trumper Coral Skin Food
Trumper Portugal Cologne

What a smooth shave. Couple of weepers, put that down to not having used this razor in a while. BBS shave to usher in my first evening out since the pubs have opened for indoor use.

😎😎😎😎😎

A ROYAL GRUME...:letterk1:
Still In

Shower and D.R. Harris watery lather mix for pre-shave
Lavender Lather with Fendrihan brush
Gillette King with Nacet blade
Cold splashes, Gillette AS lotion and American AS Balm

KING FOR A DAY!

I have been reading the thread on B&B about the "World's Mildest (New) Razor" with interest. My favorite mild razor is the Henson AL 13. Today, a fellow B&Ber remarked that the Gillette King was the second mildest DE razor he had ever used.

Last night, by chance, I watched Clambake, an old predictable but fun movie that starred the "King", Elvis Presley. Like all Elvis movies, he got the girl in the end.

As fate would have it, I decided to pull out the Gillette KING and give it a spin.

This was the first DE razor I bought and it started me going down the rabbit hole. That first shave with a (kinda) real lather and brush was a revelation and had me instantly hooked. I knew shaving could be fun! Today was no different. It was a great shave with improved shaving skills. The King may not be my most enjoyable razor but it does a mighty fine job.

GOOD DAY! :letterk1:

PXL_20210522_173758532.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom