What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

A walk on the Mild Side

Still In

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: Stirling Boar,
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic,
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium (1),
Post-shave: Florida Water,

Apologies for going AWOL this weekend. Distracted with some family fun and good weather.

While doing some attic cleaning Friday night, I found a Wilkinson Sword plastic razor. I brought it down stairs and gave it a Whirl this morning.

As I remember, it is a mild razor with good, geometry with an easy to find effective angle. It is incredibly light razor being mostly made of quality, shiny black. With a gentle, but noticeable blade, face feel. In short, it does what a razor should do.

Maybe it's an aging thing. But I find that I enjoy mild shavers much more than I used to.

An additional shout out to Stirling's magnificent boar brush, a great knot in a Simpson's Eagle knock off handle.

I traded a camera, a lens, and some film for a Gamechanger .68P. My razor arrived late last week. This morning was my first shave with my new razor. Thanks to @Jmp63 I had a Astra Superior Stainless to load into the razor for its maiden voyage.

I did two passes with some touchup. The razor is nice but I would not say better than my Rockwell 6c with either plates 3 or 4 shave wise. The build quality of the Gamechanger is much better than the Rockwell, and it is much nicer to look at. The weight is similar and to me even the handles feel similar. The smaller head of the Gamechanger is nice for under the nose and I like the little bit of blade feel the razor has but it does not seem to shave any better than the Rockwell. I think I do less buffing with the Rockwell.

The blade is fine. I got a great shave this morning with a lot of buffing and no blood loss. I have no irritation and I always do when using the Astra SP. It is a fine blade and I do appreciate Jmp63 sending them to me but I doubt I will be purchasing more. In my opinion GWS blades are sharper, just as smooth, and cost about the same. I am going to try the Astra SS blade in the Rockwell tomorrow.

This Gamechanger is a nice razor and I will keep it in my rotation but I think I miss my camera. Maybe it would benefit from a sharper blade, like a Shark for Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow. Maybe during next years restock window I can buy the open comb plate for the Gamechanger. Maybe I just need to be happy with the razors I currently own and hang onto my cameras.

The Gamechanger .68p is pretty and has a very nice feel. It gives a good shave and is enjoyable to use (bear with me now I am almost convinced everything is okay) and it will make a fine addition to my collection.

Oh yea, the guy I traded for the razor is thrilled with the camera. I offered to pay the postage for the trade back if he was unhappy with it and he declined my offer. 😢

SOTD
IMG_20210517_075315474.jpg

Still in.

I have been shaving, but wasn't putting the SOTD here.

Summer heat is getting high, it crossed the level of Comfort long time ago, recently crossed the Bearable mark, and soon it'll be at scorching level.

Come to think of it, I used to go for full day bike rides without so much as a protective lotion, just a helmet and tank full of petrol.

90000 km in a 4 stroke, 4 geared meager 96cc bike was completed without a care about sun or the rain.

I actually looked forward to the Rain and storms, nothing was better than the feel of cold winds and raindrops hitting us while on the road, now I don't even own a geared vehicle, just a sissy scooter.
I suddenly felt old.

This lockdown business has changed my comfort level.

And coming back to the shave, it was great.
Everything performed well and got a 2 Pass DFS Shave.

Parker Variant Adjustable made a lot of noise (blade chatter) and once again reminded me why I switched to RazoRock razors.
It is a good razor to keep, costly enough to care, but not enough to lose sleep if it ever gets lost.

Stirling Duke is going to be a great companion for the coming weeks and probably months.

IMG_20210517_231749.jpg

The Gamechanger .68p is pretty and has a very nice feel. It gives a good shave and is enjoyable to use (bear with me now I am almost convinced everything is okay) and it will make a fine addition to my collection

Congratulations, wmadoty.
It's potentially a lot more agile than your Rockwell, but the RR Bulldog handle makes it heavy (103g).

I tried using the head on an 84mm aluminium handle (Windrose RA3), and got the weight down to 52g.

On The Seventeenth Day Of GRUME...
Still In...

Hot shower and Proraso red pre-shave
Rockwell 6c, plate 2 with Parker blade 4x
D.R. Harris Lavender
RR Plissoft brush

First pass WTG. Second pass XTG which is now a new norm for me. I have no concerns about irritation or blade feedback.

The old bulldog was originally used as a pipe holder but now purposed as a razor stand.

Good Shave
Good Day!

PXL_20210517_202755943.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
If you still feel any trauma about taking the razor, consider giving some rarely-used kit to the community as a PIF. You know, to keep "the balance". :)

My greed for this particular razor, which I do not yet have in my hands, would have to subside somewhat, for me to notice any trauma. But I do think some PIFs are in my future. Not just those first two brushes that I don't care about any more. But actual razors, kamisoris. I enjoy honing a whole lot, and it won't be long before I have more honed razors than I desire to keep, so a PIF seems like a perfect way to keep things in balance.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Silver Blue/red tip Super Speed
Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap
Simpson Eagle G3 Super
Gillette Sun Up after shave

This is one terrific soap. Too bad there isn't a matching splash or EDT so I could ruin my GRUME.
Still in!

Top Bottom