What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

396C9A17-7110-4B57-AF99-7E14BF1D8B46.jpeg

Still in and someone is trying to reinforce me skipping shaving while traveling this week.

Here’s my hot water after running for an hour (spoiler, it’s still cold and yellow.)

My youngest daughter told me I screwed up my reservations and ended up at the Hotel Cecil instead of the Courtyard by Marriott, Los Angeles, CA. Yay, yay indeed.

Last edited:
I am out. 👎

i have been waiting for a RazoRock Game Changer .84-P plate to come back into stock at Italian Barber for ages and I got the email notification last night. Ordered. And yet again... down in GRUME flames I go.

Don’t cry for me, fellas. I am good with this purchase and buying a $30 razor plate isn’t gonna open the floodgates. I won’t be calling Mark at Simpsons to commission a new custom brush. 🙂

See you in June.
It sounds like this was a considered purchase. If you're going to fail the GRUME, that's the way to do it. Please feel free to play along from home, and we'll hope to see you next month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Doti B
3) @MtView
4) @wmadoty
5) @Herrenberg
6) @La Malice
7) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) @henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (5/9: Ever Ready SE razor)
10) @Roedeer
11) @Chef455
12) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) @Owen Bawn
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) @Schnitzel52
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @AZBronco
18) @Cahoots
19) @SeinfeldNoir
20) @tjsgarden
21) @pdieten - GRUYERE
22) @Timeclo
23) @Kyle89
24) @Sinnbad11
25) @Cino
26) @redrako
27) Sandorfi - out (5/3: Soaps and aftershaves)
28) SharpieB - out (5/10: GC .84-P plate)
29) @Sotiris_A
30) @Tomo
31) @FL shaver
32) @linty1

Still in and someone is trying to reinforce me skipping shaving while traveling this week.

Here’s my hot water after running for an hour (spoiler, it’s still cold and yellow.)

My youngest daughter told me I screwed up my reservations and ended up at the Hotel Cecil instead of the Courtyard by Marriott, Los Angeles, CA. Yay, yay indeed.
Oh.

My.

I looked up Hotel Cecil and one of the search results was "How many people have died at Hotel Cecil". Turns out the answer is...

Maybe spend most of your trip outside the hotel...

Don't do it!

Edit: Doesn't PAA have a Hotel Cecil soap in its honor? A soap I would personally not want but YMMV.

Don't do it!

Edit: Doesn't PAA have a Hotel Cecil soap in its honor? A soap I would personally not want but YMMV.

It does. My understanding is it’s Burma Shave scented. My daughter is way into Hotel Cecil because of the Netflix documentary so I bought her a Hotel Cecil sweatshirt from PAA and a bottle of Hotel Cecil after shave for my son-in-law to not leave him out. My daughter says it smells good and he likes it but it might just be my son-in-law kissing my butt. If I ever get back to St Louis to visit them I’ll try to remember to smell it.

Oh.

My.

I looked up Hotel Cecil and one of the search results was "How many people have died at Hotel Cecil". Turns out the answer is...

Maybe spend most of your trip outside the hotel...

Yes, and as my daughter pointed out one of them was a young lady that died in their water tank on the roof and soaked in it for quite some time. Long enough that patrons complained about the water’s color and smell…

It does. My understanding is it’s Burma Shave scented. My daughter is way into Hotel Cecil because of the Netflix documentary so I bought her a Hotel Cecil sweatshirt from PAA and a bottle of Hotel Cecil after shave for my son-in-law to not leave him out. My daughter says it smells good and he likes it but it might just be my son-in-law kissing my butt. If I ever get back to St Louis to visit them I’ll try to remember to smell it.

Those are very cool gifts. I didn't know about the documentary. I'll probably end up watching it too.

That's the yellowest water ive ever seen come out of a tap in the US.

Good luck, if your tetanus isn't up to date I'd recommend using something very mild!

Still in
Micromatic Monday, in restraint

I used (one of) my Clog Pruf(s), it's my favorite vintage razor of all time. I have several back ups in case this one breaks.

Seeing as its already about 80 years old I'm beginning to think that worry is unfounded. If it were to happen, however, I do have six willing to take its place.
0510212105~2.jpg

Still in, 32.2% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Canned Foam (Skinguard)
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Since it was late, tried using canned foam to save time (it didn't, though). Got a plausible DFS... eventually, but this stuff is at least twice as thick as optimised MWF lather. Either you put up with that, or try to thin it with water, which takes time. Somehow I don't think I'm going to 3017 my canned foams.

Post-shave was comfortable.

linty1

My wallet cries.
What does the "Gruyere" on the list mean?

While I haven't been overly tempted to purchase anything yet, I did notice that there -are- little things here and 5ere that kinda make it a nuissance, like browsing shops/online and going hey.. I'd like to try that, and its fairly cheap too... and then realizing you can't. Eventually I guess.

Still in.

Top Bottom