What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm out!

This was supposed to be the month in which I finally take the GRUME seriously. I was under no illusions about it being easy, I had quit window shopping on shaving supply websites. I had even been enjoying the equipment that is in my current rotation. But there was the local flea market that was supposed to be safe. No-one ever sells shaving equipment at this flea market. Then my girlfriend found it, an Ever Ready single edge, Pat'd 1912, and for only £5. At that price I just had to have it.
20210509_201823.jpg
20210509_201836.jpg
20210509_201857.jpg

Good luck and I'll see Y'all in next months GRUME

I'm out!

This was supposed to be the month in which I finally take the GRUME seriously. I was under no illusions about it being easy, I had quit window shopping on shaving supply websites. I had even been enjoying the equipment that is in my current rotation. But there was the local flea market that was supposed to be safe. No-one ever sells shaving equipment at this flea market. Then my girlfriend found it, an Ever Ready single edge, Pat'd 1912, and for only £5. At that price I just had to have it.
View attachment 1264203View attachment 1264204View attachment 1264205

That’s some find though. If you have to go out st least do it in style 👍🏻

I'm out!

Solid. Those style single edge razors are awesome.

I've been working on a partly used stick of Arko lately, and that is good soap that I have no problem with, but my relationship with Shark blades is such that there is no way in everloving h e double hockey sticks that I'm breaking GRUYERE just to buy some even if it does rhyme.

If we're really lucky I might be willing to load one of my excess of Silver Star blades, but that's as far as I go. Arko-Starko. Done.
Hey Guys, I have a couple Arko sticks I bought and have never used it. If you want to have a Arko-Day this week I am game. :letterk1:

On The Ninth Day Of GRUME-ER-ING...

Pre-Shave: Shower and Proraso Red
Gillette King with Nacet blade(2x)
D.R. Harris Lavender soap
Cold water splashes, Thayer Lavender WH, face creams and Davidoff Cooling Water

Summary

This weekend was for my wife on Mother's Day.

I actually thought about taking a day off and not shave today to give my face a day of rest.
Since I started this hobby three months ago, I haven't missed a day because the whole shaving routine is so enjoyable. Another idea was to use the Rockwell 6C using plate 1- just to pretend I was shaving!
Last night, I had placed the Gillette King, my first DE purchase and entrance down the rabbit hole on the counter top and went with that.
I am beginning to think my face really likes the Nacet blade. I still want to pair it with the Feather AS-D2.
Yesterday I mentioned I had the best shave to this point. Today's shave was also excellent and enjoyable.
I see rumors there may be a Arko-Day :a14: later this week. If so I am in! :letterk1:

Good Day:letterk1:

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in! A nice two pass shave, cleaned up and out away the oren for the Standard razor. Gunna use the gsb blades and sorta keep track of how it goes, then switch over to the nacet blades with the same razor and take those for a spin.

Used up a pack of stypic matchsticks, one pack left, but also have a clubman weeper stick (I think its some sorta liquid inside) to try. Should last me a while, I don't get weepers often, just trying it out, the matchbook styptics were nice and easy to use. I like it better than the reg stypic chalk piece.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've been working on a partly used stick of Arko lately, and that is good soap that I have no problem with, but my relationship with Shark blades is such that there is no way in everloving h e double hockey sticks that I'm breaking GRUYERE just to buy some even if it does rhyme.

If we're really lucky I might be willing to load one of my excess of Silver Star blades, but that's as far as I go. Arko-Starko. Done.
If you are going to do ARKO-SHARKO AUGUST, and you are in the July and August GRUMEs, we'll find a way to get a month's worth of Sharks to you. I promise.

Owen Bawn

I'm out!

What you choose to do now is really important. If your goal really is restraint you shouldn't let today's purchase derail your entire train. Now that you're "out" you're probably going to start looking around with a "what the hell" attitude, as in "I've already blown the GRUME, so why bother being in restraint? I'll do it next month," you'll tell yourself as the purchases pile up and your credit card wheezes along. That's a trap that will lead to a mountain of purchases and a boatload of remorse and regret if you aren't careful. You've admitted you bought something; now, if you don't want this to turn into a treewhale you'll decide that for the month of May your restraint record will be 30 wins, 1 loss. That's a pretty good record of restraint in my book. When's the last time you went a whole month with only one purchase, and that item only cost 5 quid? That's the choice you face tonight. Good luck.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
If you are going to do ARKO-SHARKO AUGUST, and you are in the July and August GRUMEs, we'll find a way to get a month's worth of Sharks to you. I promise.

If you are willing to extend that same courtesy to your pal here in WNC I'd be down for joining you. I have a couple of sticks of Arko (never used it before) but no Sharks and I'm in the 4 month sabbatical. A single tuck should do me for a months worth of shaves no problem. I typically shave for one week on a single blade ;)

Owen Bawn

If you are willing to extend that same courtesy to your pal here in WNC I'd be down for joining you. I have a couple of sticks of Arko (never used it before) but no Sharks and I'm in the 4 month sabbatical. A single tuck should do me for a months worth of shaves no problem. I typically shave for one week on a single blade ;)
Absolutely. Remind me in July!

What you choose to do now is really important. If your goal really is restraint you shouldn't let today's purchase derail your entire train. Now that you're "out" you're probably going to start looking around with a "what the hell" attitude, as in "I've already blown the GRUME, so why bother being in restraint? I'll do it next month," you'll tell yourself as the purchases pile up and your credit card wheezes along. That's a trap that will lead to a mountain of purchases and a boatload of remorse and regret if you aren't careful. You've admitted you bought something; now, if you don't want this to turn into a treewhale you'll decide that for the month of May your restraint record will be 30 wins, 1 loss. That's a pretty good record of restraint in my book. When's the last time you went a whole month with only one purchase, and that item only cost 5 quid? That's the choice you face tonight. Good luck.

Yep the vintage Razor was only a fiver, it had a £12 sticker on it but it was in a "all items £5" box so the guy let me have it for £5.

You make a good point about being careful not to treewhale now that I'm out. I would say that buying some SE blades for it would count as a needed purchase. Other than that I shall try to follow your advice and continue to restrain myself.

Owen Bawn

Yep the vintage Razor was only a fiver, it had a £12 sticker on it but it was in a "all items £5" box so the guy let me have it for £5.

You make a good point about being careful not to treewhale now that I'm out. I would say that buying some SE blades for it would count as a needed purchase. Other than that I shall try to follow your advice and continue to restrain myself.
Some unsolicited tough love... screw buying the blades. You don't need them. You have another razor, don't you? You bought this razor because it was a great deal on a rare item. That doesn't mean you need to use it immediately. If you're serious about trying to limit purchases you'll put it away until your restraint is done, whether that is at the end of this month, or in July, or next Christmas.

Or do it your way. But my experience with items I bought on restraint is that I feel a tinge of sadness about them. You're the man you have to face in the mirror, so long as you're good with him you're fine.

Top Bottom