What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, 12.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Wizamet SI #6
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

BBS face and DFS neck, but that felt a bit rough. Blades usually last me to #7, but not this one.

Plus having shiny new things keeps my little brain occupied so I don’t cave into the pressure of buying other shiny new things. 🙂

I find looking at my excessive stash of blades helps to keep the ADs at bay. At current burn rate, running out isn't going to happen...

Still in, 12.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Wizamet SI #6
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

BBS face and DFS neck, but that felt a bit rough. Blades usually last me to #7, but not this one.

I find looking at my excessive stash of blades helps to keep the ADs at bay. At current burn rate, running out isn't going to happen...
People are living longer, you know. 😜 If I make it to 120 and can still shave, I just might make it thru my blade stash!

Still in
Yates EH tonight, great shave
0504212335~2.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A new Gillette Silver Blue in the red tip Super Speed
Simpsons M7 synthetic
Williams Mug Soap
Booster Island Bay Rum

Today's synthetics really make a nice lather. I'm one of those guys everybody hates- I not only get it to lather easily but I put Williams on the same level as soaps like Mitchells Wool Fat and Haslinger in terms of quality of shave. Always leaves me feeling clean. And Booster bay rum has a good clean scent as well so it all fit together nicely. Still in, and still enjoying restraint.

A new Gillette Silver Blue in the red tip Super Speed
Simpsons M7 synthetic
Williams Mug Soap
Booster Island Bay Rum

Today's synthetics really make a nice lather. I'm one of those guys everybody hates- I not only get it to lather easily but I put Williams on the same level as soaps like Mitchells Wool Fat and Haslinger in terms of quality of shave. Always leaves me feeling clean. And Booster bay rum has a good clean scent as well so it all fit together nicely. Still in, and still enjoying restraint.
Oh No! Now I will have to put Williams on the bucket list for June!
Question: Can some type of menthol additive be added to the soap with the bloom water or in the lathering bowl?

Still In
Grandslam Double Edge Safety Razor
Astra SP
Homemade Brush
AON: Nantahala Shaving Soap
Old Spice
SOTD.jpg

Another great shave. Two passes today with some touchup. My chin is firming up nicely and is not nearly as easy to irritate. Still have some problems with the area right below the corners of my mouth but I am sure that will get better with time as well.

This razor was an impulse buy last year. I wanted a razor with a wooden handle so I purchased two different ones. Both of those razors have a very similar head design and the shaves are surprisingly good. I did not know it then but I think the head is a DE89 clone?

This is an incredibly smooth shaver and gets pretty close without much work. It is super easy to find the proper angle and it does allow some deviation. The scallops hold lather well and this makes buffing easier. The handle is very long, well balanced, and it fits my hand.

When the razor was new the handle kept coming apart as I was shaving and I had to put some thread locker on the different handle pieces to keep that from happening. Finish on the razor is cheaply done, you can see there were impurities on the base plate and under the cap that were chromed over. I do not get the impression it will last forever, but it is a great razor for $15.00.

Razor.jpg

I found my propensity to browse increasing yesterday. The marketing emails with the newest soaps, sales and razors didn't help, but there was very little temptation overall.

Still in.

Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB w/German Wilkinson Sword blade
Crown Shaving Co. pre-shave
Muhle STF 23mm brush
Oz Shaving Co. Tornadic soap and splash

I'm thinking of moving to an all synthetic rotation for a week. I just can't bring myself to put away my Simpsons badgers right now. I suppose that just reinforces my restraint and helps we realize that I have a lot of good gear already.

Still in.

1620232613627.png

Well, there is is. My pride and my shame. The brush that knocked me out of the April GRUME. The stone handle is great to hold, and appeals to me even more in person than it did in the picture. But was it worth it, to be knocked out of a commitment to myself, by a mere material object? Can it ever be worth it?
1620232758349.png

Anyway, I loved using the brush. It was a bit scritchy on the ends, but that may have been partly because I misunderstood the note that the seller sent me, saying he had preloaded it or something, so I shouldn't soak it. Maybe he meant that some people will get a new brush and give it a long soak? Anyway, I just ran water on it and used it, which is not what I'll do next time.

This is my second shave with the Ralf Aust, and now that I have gotten over the initial shock about how different full hollows are, I am filled with respect for this razor. It's just so no-nonsense about giving me a great shave. And it came as close to shave-ready as any razor I've ever bought. I just put it through the pasted balsa strops, then proceeded as usual, and I'll bet I could have shaved with it without even doing that. I know that if I put "my edge" on it, it will be a bit more comfortable, but it lacked nothing in competence. Very nice razor, which gave me a feeling of full control, and made it seem easy to knock out a BBS cheeks, DFS neck shave. One little slice, on the cheek of all places, reminded me that I have to be extra-careful about angles when dealing with a full hollow.

To honor the new brush, I used my wife's favorite shave soap, which is also my most expensive shave soap. You can't tell me that's a coincidence. It was as great as ever. When I'm using these hard soaps, I am fully in their camp, thinking "yeah, who needs those fatty slick soaps, this is what shave soap should be." Then I pick up something like a Declaration Grooming, and I switch sides immediately and think it's just awesome.

Speaking of DG, I tried their liniment again, but this time I had some sense and added a ton of water to it. I'm liking it a lot better.

Fifth Day of GRUME...
Still In

Pre-Shave: Warm water splashes(two minutes) and Proraso white
Feather AS-D2
Feather blade (new)
Fendrihan 24 mm synthetic brush
Proraso Green with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil
Cremo Cooling balm
Davidoff Cooling Water on hands and arms

Today I focused on my shaving angle with the Feather.
I guess I don't like the feel and sound of the Feather. I tried riding the cap, the bar and angles in-between. The shave was clean and close but not as smooth as other razors. Maybe I just like a smoother razor like the Henson AL13, Rockwell 6C (plate 2) or Jagger 89 etc. As to performance, the shave was excellent! I'll move on to a different razor tomorrow and return to the Feather as my experience and technique improves.
I added another little experiment to the equation. I have been wanting to add a cooling, menthol and refreshing element to my shave. The only cream I have that fits the bill is Prosaro green. I decided to try to boost it up a notch. I added 1 drop of peppermint essential oil in my lathering bowl before mixing the lather. WOW! the peppermint hit all the right notes! The lather felt cool and refreshing. It made the post shave cold water splashes feel even better. The Cremo Cooling balm enhanced the feeling. The clincher was one hour after shaving, there was no irritation, redness or dry feeling on my face or neck.
GRUME-on
Good Day

Fifth Day of GRUME...
Still In

Pre-Shave: Warm water splashes(two minutes) and Proraso white
Feather AS-D2
Feather blade (new)
Fendrihan 24 mm synthetic brush
Proraso Green with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil
Cremo Cooling balm
Davidoff Cooling Water on hands and arms

Today I focused on my shaving angle with the Feather.
I guess I don't like the feel and sound of the Feather. I tried riding the cap, the bar and angles in-between. The shave was clean and close but not as smooth as other razors. Maybe I just like a smoother razor like the Henson AL13, Rockwell 6C (plate 2) or Jagger 89 etc. As to performance, the shave was excellent! I'll move on to a different razor tomorrow and return to the Feather as my experience and technique improves.
I added another little experiment to the equation. I have been wanting to add a cooling, menthol and refreshing element to my shave. The only cream I have that fits the bill is Prosaro green. I decided to try to boost it up a notch. I added 1 drop of peppermint essential oil in my lathering bowl before mixing the lather. WOW! the peppermint hit all the right notes! The lather felt cool and refreshing. It made the post shave cold water splashes feel even better. The Cremo Cooling balm enhanced the feeling. The clincher was one hour after shaving, there was no irritation, redness or dry feeling on my face or neck.
GRUME-on
Good Day
I definitely noticed that your list was heavy on the cooling! Sounds like a great early-summer shave. :)

Top Bottom