What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I admire your fortitude!

Maybe you could add a little of a cream that you do like, or grate the remainder of the sample and press it on top of another soap?

Your idea is a good one and the advice is appreciated. What I should do is just toss the soap. It is a $4.00 .5oz sample. I just can't make myself throw it away. The wife likes the scent a little so at least it has that going for it. Maybe I will get lucky and it will not last a week.

Oh, and the only reason it was ever purchased was to make the minimum purchase price for free shipping. Come to think of it that is where most of my blades have come from.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water and GFT Ecuris Skin Food
Lather: Proraso Green shaving cream & Geo f Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Razor: 1950s Gillette Flare tip Rocket
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
Bowl: Anbbas
Post-shave: Hot and cold water & alum block
results: Bbs face and neck, no irritation one cut. 9.5/10

Your idea is a good one and the advice is appreciated. What I should do is just toss the soap. It is a $4.00 .5oz sample. I just can't make myself throw it away. The wife likes the scent a little so at least it has that going for it. Maybe I will get lucky and it will not last a week.

Oh, and the only reason it was ever purchased was to make the minimum purchase price for free shipping. Come to think of it that is where most of my blades have come from.
I would have a tough time spending $4 on a sample when I could get (at least) two sticks of Arko for the same cost. ;)

Of course, that doesn't work if the vendor doesn't stock Arko.

But either way, at least you didn't splash out for the full puck of a dud!

Still in and the first shave in a few days.

Head shave and neck/goatee trim. I haven't been using my shaving bowls lately. I'm toying with the idea of purging all bowls (but not my mugs which I use with pucks and my Captain's Choice heavyweight copper bowl.) I have a gorgeous handmade Moss Scuttle I'm going back and forth on. I don't use it very often but it was a gift and it's really awesome so I'm not sure I can pull the trigger.

Lovely BBS. Probably the high point of my slow Tuesday.

» Leaf w/Gillette Gillette Platinum Blue (14) - headshaves only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum Blue (14) - neck and goatee trim only
» PAA Black Bot CK-6 (almost gone)
» Zenith Copper/B03-A26-L (aka B28)
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
» PAA Black Bot AS

Have a great day gentlemen!

May 4th

Pre-Shave: 365 Everyday Value Olive Oil Glycerin Soap
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance
Brush: Omega 10065 Yellow Boar
Razor: Maggard V3 MR1
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Florida Spice

One of my Ahab razor/blade combinations has been the Maggard V3 and Super-Max's once famous Super Platinum blades. Today, was good, but it got me with a little wheeper.

That's alright because I got to finish with my newest AS, Florida Water. Florida water is my name for a Badger Blend I saw a long time ago here on B&B. It's a mixture of 60% modern Old Spice mixed with 40% Florida Water.

Badger Blends are a collection of member blended, inexpensive drugstore aftershaves. Like the best AS blends, it takes two mediocre splashes animals makes one very good aftershave.

Do yourself a favor and google Badger Blends and it's more refined cousin, Bootlegger's aftershave.

I alway joke that my worst fear is my fiance selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

That would make me roll in my grave so much I'd be a renewable energy source!
That honestly keeps me up at night sometimes! I tell my wife and kids all the time how much my “stuff” is worth and how/where to sell it.... shaving brushes and razors, guitars, knives, wine, art, etc. Yes, I am well aware that I shall be dead when they have to sell my crap, but I’d prefer they have the $$$.

I am petrified that my dumb@$$ 20-somethings will let my 8 year old use my Simpson brushes to paint with or make sangrias with my First Growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru Burgundies. Cristal, Dom or Krug champagne mimosas, anyone? 😱

Still in... On The Fourth Day Of GRUME-er-ing!

Pre-Shave: Shower and Proraso Sensitive
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: KAI 3x
Brush: RR Plissoft Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Cremo Cooling Balm with face serums and Davidoff Cooling Waters on hands and arms

Summary: I had two objectives today.
I am still wanting to "like" the Feather razor. Most users report the Feather as a mild razor. It seems more aggressive than a Henson AL13 and the Rockwell 6C (plate 2). I focused on my shaving angle and rode the cap but the razor still felt more aggressive than the Henson and Rockwell. I will continue experimenting and am sure I will get better with the Feather.

My other goal today was to add some menthol and cooling effects in a shave. The above cream and balm did the job without any irritation!.:thumbup: I still don't want to try AS splashes on my face (at this time) that contain alcohol due to concerns of a drying or irritating effect.
Good Day!

Still in... On The Fourth Day Of GRUME-er-ing!

Pre-Shave: Shower and Proraso Sensitive
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: KAI 3x
Brush: RR Plissoft Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Cremo Cooling Balm with face serums and Davidoff Cooling Waters on hands and arms

Summary: I had two objectives today.
I am still wanting to "like" the Feather razor. Most users report the Feather as a mild razor. It seems more aggressive than a Henson AL13 and the Rockwell 6C (plate 2). I focused on my shaving angle and rode the cap but the razor still felt more aggressive than the Henson and Rockwell. I will continue experimenting and am sure I will get better with the Feather.

My other goal today was to add some menthol and cooling effects in a shave. The above cream and balm did the job without any irritation!.:thumbup: I still don't want to try AS splashes on my face (at this time) that contain alcohol due to concerns of a drying or irritating effect.
Good Day!
Have you considered using a steep angle? It works really well for me.

I have already decided to use the same kit tomorrow that I did today. The primary goal will be to experiment with the angle while using the Feather. Thanks for the suggestion.

I enjoyed and learned a lot from both threads. Thanks again.

Wow, you don't mess around with your not-purchases.

The Wolfman, etc. was my SOTD. As far as keeping a list of stuff I didn’t buy I hope it will reinforce my restraint as opposed to becoming a shopping list for the future.

For example, I have a large Muhle STF on the list for no good reason. I have a 23mm Muhle STF that works great and is the perfect size. I have a Duke 3 synth and a Chubby 2 synth that are also great brushes and now I am using them all.

I have WSP Barbershop on the list. Barbershop scents are a sink hole for me because I don’t like most of them that I try and I’m happy with Seville.

Still in.

3rd shave with my Razorock Hawk SE today and I am already in the groove with it. Such a nice shave and the learning curve was super easy. First SE shaves since I was a teenybopper in the early 80’s when I used to use my dad’s Schick Injector.

Plus having shiny new things keeps my little brain occupied so I don’t cave into the pressure of buying other shiny new things. 🙂

Top Bottom