What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
Clog Pruf this micromatic monday
0503212047a~2.jpg

Still in.

I got an excellent shave today.

I realized that I didn't have any Summer suitable soap in the rotation.
I purchased all the soaps in Winter season and during that time the Orange, Tangerine and all the Lime scented soaps didn't seem appealing to me.

To solve the problem without going on perusing, I picked up a lovely all weather suitable soap: Williams Mug Soap.

It has been atleast a month and a half since I last used it.
I was unsure if it'll lather up properly or to be more accurate, whether I'll be able to create quality lather from it or not?

All the doubts cleared up by the 1st pass, and I got good results for 4 passes easily and bonus point, the quality of lather improved with each pass.
It started a bit too wet and eventually reached the desired consistency, slickness and protection was there from the beginning.

Finished the shave with Old Spice Original to see if I overdid any area; no stings only a bit tingling for a few moments.

I received the Minora blades from a fellow B&B member among other blades, and this is the first time I've used it.

The blade seems thinner than Astra SP, and it is delightful to use.
Edge is keen, shaving experience is smooth and doesn't skip.

It is a good combination with the RazoRock Lupo 95.
How long it'll last is yet to be seen.

RazoRock Lupo 95
Williams Mug Soap
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm
Minora blade
Old Spice Original ASL

IMG_20210504_151519.jpg

Still in

Schick Injector Type G4 - Schick 66
Schick Injector (3)
The Goodfellas' Smile Tallow N.1
Omega 10065 Boar
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Had a great shave but still not sold on this soap. Getting a little burning the last 2 shaves, nothing bad but definitely there. I'm also not sure about the scent, SWMBO loves it but I'm undecided.

Sorry to hear you fell prey to your SAD so early in the going. Feel free to post your feedback about the soaps and aftershaves when you use the purchases. Of course, you can re-commit and continue to play along from home, and we'll hope to see you next month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Doti B
3) @MtView
4) @wmadoty
5) @Herrenberg
6) @La Malice
7) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) @henrickd - GRUYERE
9) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) @Roedeer
11) @Chef455
12) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) @Owen Bawn
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) @Schnitzel52
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @AZBronco
18) @Cahoots
19) @SeinfeldNoir
20) @tjsgarden
21) @pdieten - GRUYERE
22) @Timeclo
23) @Kyle89
24) @Sinnbad11
25) @Cino
26) @redrako
27) Sandorfi - out (5/3: Soaps and aftershaves)
28) @SharpieB
29) @Sotiris_A
30) @Tomo

Still in

Still in. I am starting a list though. Right now it's called stuff I didn't buy because of GRUME.

Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB w/German Wilkinson Sword blade
Crown Shaving Co. pre-shave
CF Lime cream and balm

As I sit upon a mountain of shaving soaps, splashes and balms like the dragon Smaug, some of which I am trying to BST now, it occurs to me that selling them is a real PIA. Once you go over 13 oz you have to ship Priority Mail. Once you have to pay Priority Mail, the money you net after paying $12 to ship from east coast to west coast is very little considering your time and packing materials and the already greatly reduced price of the items.

In other words, I really don't want to end up with this kind of surplus again.

As I sit upon a mountain of shaving soaps, splashes and balms like the dragon Smaug, some of which I am trying to BST now, it occurs to me that selling them is a real PIA.
I know the feeling. I decided I just need to work my way through my soap/balm/AS hoard the hard way. I don't even try to sell the stuff. If I run across someone in a market where the soap isn't available (or outrageously expensive) I'll give it to them and ship it for free just so they can have the experience of something hard to find where they live. I lose money each time I do it but it makes me feel good and I hope they get some enjoyment out of it.

I just finished my first razor purge. I gifted a couple of razors, brushes, blades, bowl, stand and soaps to my neighbor boy. He just took his first teaching job and his dad told me he'd taken up DE shaving last fall to save money. I gifted hardware and software to my teacher niece and her engineer boyfriend. She's a hippy and he's just cheap. I gifted to a son-in-law because he was having issues edging his beard and shaving his neck (DEs/SEs are awesome for beard/neck trimming). I've gifted razors to several young people on B&B. My hope is it sticks and they continue using the hardware and they get some enjoyment (or benefit) out of it. I know no one is enjoying the stuff if it's sitting on shelves in my closet gathering dust. My biggest fear is 40 years from now, when I'm dead and my kids and grandkids are cleaning out my house, they end up selling my hoard at an estate or garage sale for the equivalent of $0.50 each. Even worse, $1.00 per paper bag of stuff. I'd roll over in my grave.

fyi. My niece lurks on the GRUMEs to mock me.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I decided I just need to work my way through my soap/balm/AS hoard the hard way. I don't even try to sell the stuff. If I run across someone in a market where the soap isn't available (or outrageously expensive) I'll give it to them and ship it for free just so they can have the experience of something hard to find where they live. I lose money each time I do it but it makes me feel good and I hope they get some enjoyment out of it.

I just finished my first razor purge. I gifted a couple of razors, brushes, blades, bowl, stand and soaps to my neighbor boy. He just took his first teaching job and his dad told me he'd taken up DE shaving last fall to save money. I gifted hardware and software to my teacher niece and her engineer boyfriend. She's a hippy and he's just cheap. I gifted to a son-in-law because he was having issues edging his beard and shaving his neck (DEs are awesome for beard/neck trimming). I've gifted razors to several young people on B&B. My hope is it sticks and they continue using the hardware and they get some enjoyment (or benefit) out of it. I know no one is enjoying the stuff if it's sitting on shelves in my closet gathering dust. My biggest fear is 40 years from now, when I'm dead and my kids and grandkids are cleaning out my house, they end up selling my hoard at an estate or garage sale for the equivalent of $0.50 each. Even worse, $1.00 per paper bag of stuff. I'd roll over in my grave.

I alway joke that my worst fear is my fiance selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

That would make me roll in my grave so much I'd be a renewable energy source!

I just finished my first razor purge. I gifted a couple of razors, brushes, blades, bowl, stand and soaps to my neighbor boy. He just took his first teaching job and his dad told me he'd taken up DE shaving last fall to save money. I gifted hardware and software to my teacher niece and her engineer boyfriend. She's a hippy and he's just cheap. I gifted to a son-in-law because he was having issues edging his beard and shaving his neck (DEs/SEs are awesome for beard/neck trimming). I've gifted razors to several young people on B&B. My hope is it sticks and they continue using the hardware and they get some enjoyment (or benefit) out of it. I know no one is enjoying the stuff if it's sitting on shelves in my closet gathering dust. My biggest fear is 40 years from now, when I'm dead and my kids and grandkids are cleaning out my house, they end up selling my hoard at an estate or garage sale for the equivalent of $0.50 each. Even worse, $1.00 per paper bag of stuff. I'd roll over in my grave.

Never met her and already love your niece. She sounds a lot like my sisters eldest daughter, if you are reading this Nicki I love you!

SOTD

Rockwell 6c Plate 3
Gillette Wilkinson Sword India Saloon Pack
Homemade Brush inexpensive Synthetic Knot (Great Little Brush)
AON: Nantahala Shaving Soap
Old Spice "real" Original (Glass Bottle)

IMG_20210504_071141248.jpg

Not much to say about a nearly perfect shave but there was not much to work with. I had almost no stubble from the day before. I did a single pass and some touchup/buffing. I don't care for the soap and think that might be why the sample has lasted over 7 months. I am going to keep using it until it is gone.

Top Bottom