What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Maybe i will or i will ask for someone more experienced than me to organize it. Because i have no idea of the rules. I could copy the ones from Shave Trek i suppose... Or maybe i will just do on my own. I could also open a "Sabbatical Journal"...Or simply not. According to how my mood goes.

Thank you for the suggestion though. I am surprised that there is no other Sabbatical than the yearly, to be honest... Well, there is the 10 year Marathon one, thought by the legend that is @GaryTha, but this is for legends. :laugh:
There used to be quarterly restraint/sabbatical threads. Dig up one or two of the old ones, copy or change the rules as you see fit, and post the thread. That's how I revived the GRUME idea and we've been going strong for nearly two years. Here's the first GRUME thread that I started:

Or...don't.

If you choose not to start a thread, at least make the GRUME threads your unofficial check-in space and let us know how it's going.

There used to be quarterly restraint/sabbatical threads. Dig up one or two of the old ones, copy or change the rules as you see fit, and post the thread. That's how I revived the GRUME idea and we've been going strong for nearly two years.

Or don't.

If you choose not to start a thread, at least make the GRUME threads your unofficial check-in space and let us know how it's going.

Thank you for the information and availability, sir! Most helpful!

Welcome to the GRUME your resolve is already stronger than mine. I'm not sure that I'll even have the resolve to enter a GRUME during my birthday month.
Thanks, glad to be here! It's not gonna be easy, that's for sure. Despite having my birthday coming up, I really feel the need to actually familiarize myself with my recent software acquisitions [emoji28]

Worst case scenario would be to find some reasonably priced used soaps over on the Facebook wetshaving groups I follow. I haven't shown much restraint over there the last couple of months, that's for sure...

Thanks, glad to be here! It's not gonna be easy, that's for sure. Despite having my birthday coming up, I really feel the need to actually familiarize myself with my recent software acquisitions [emoji28]

Worst case scenario would be to find some reasonably priced used soaps over on the Facebook wetshaving groups I follow. I haven't shown much restraint over there the last couple of months, that's for sure...
Keep in mind that trades - especially within the current GRUME group - are strongly encouraged. Both parties get to clear out some unused/disliked item(s) and receive item(s) that will actually be used and enjoyed...or at least scratch the acquisition itch. Win-win. :)

I'm in. Got too much stuff to work with.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
14) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89

Cheers gentleman.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11

I'm back this month, the product I was waiting on last month didn't even get released but nonetheless my den expanded pretty significantly. The favorite acquisition was the Yates EH, it outperforms my Ti Blackbird imo.

I'll give it another go.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino

Having flunked the April GRUME, I think I am ready for this one. Really. I was just not ready last time, too many gaps. Now I think I'm ready. It helps that I know the pattern of my hobbies, which is to buy things up to a certain point, and then stop. I think I have reached that certain point. What I was missing before, and will not be missing once packages arrive:

A brush with a deep-green stone handle. Just something I have pursued for a long time, and finally found during the GRUME.

Some way to store my brushes with the bristles down

A kind of kamisori whose handle bends away from the spine, just what I need for those precarious XTG strokes I've been attempting.

A synthetic brush because people say those can be great

Yeah, I bought a bunch of stuff. If I flunk out of May with another purchase flurry, I might have to go into Shaving Gear Rehab. But I think it was just that declaring abstinence for the first time made me very aware of the gaps. Those are now filled. We'll see.

I'm in.

I almost made it through the 2015 general restraint, thought it was a piece of cake. Then I learned that it wasn't 20 hours and 15 minutes. Maybe a month is a more manageable time frame.

I'll probably be receiving an already ordered Omeaga boar brush in the first few days of May.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino
26. redrako

For the first time I'm in, just ordered a couple of extra blades yesterday ant this should do it.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino
26) redrako
27) Sandorfi

This will be a little zen exercise for me.
Instead of obsessing in the rabbit hole, I plan to be in the moment and focus on good prep, observation and focus on technique, take my time and notice which products work good for me.
I especially enjoy the pre shave time when I make thoughtful considerations of which components to use for a particular shave. I reflect on what I know works good and what aspects of shaving I want to improve.
I think I can make a good lather but I also know there is room for improvement. I am learning to alternate which side of my face I lather and shave first. I have decided for this month to use a blade twice and then dispose it.

What the hell... let’s give ‘er another go. Every thing I need is either in hand, on order or on a waiting list.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Doti B
3) MtView
4) wmadoty
5) Herrenberg
6) La Malice
7) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound
10) Roedeer
11) Chef455
12) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) Owen Bawn
15) Schnitzel52
16) ‘Bout Time
17) AZBronco
18) Cahoots
19) SeinfeldNoir
20) tjsgarden
21) pdieten - GRUYERE
22) Timeclo
23) Kyle89
24) Sinnbad11
25) Cino
26) redrako
27) Sandorfi
28) SharpieB

FoolishMortal,
THANKS for starting the GRUME. This is my first.
Do you happen to know the largest number of GRUME-ers in a single month and the highest percentage to successfully complete the month?
Thanks again,
John
Hi John. Welcome and you're welcome. :)

The May GRUME will be the two-year anniversary of my starting this thing up after a hiatus. @CzechCzar and a few others started it, near as I can tell. I haven't really kept statistics, but I know that we've had 30+ in a few months and 75% or better completion percentage along the way. Maybe I'll go through and pull the numbers...

Top Bottom