What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

New week, new setup. Sometimes I need to pinch myself. This must be too good to be true.

8FCEE4F4-7E8D-46DD-AD21-FCFDBC9EC197.jpeg

Still in.

I've lost count of the shaves from Shark Super Chrome blade.
This was a very good find, as far as blades are concerned I will put Shark blade same as Gillette 7 O'clock Black, but more smooth and agile.

If the remaining Shark blades will last just as long as this, I'll be able to complete the "Arko Sharko August" with my remaining Shark blades easily.

Stirling Duke is going on great, and I've been preferring Beehive synthesis brush for the Summer.

I'm getting lazy in taking photos, especially since majority of the shave setup is same as the day before.

Weather here have cooled down a bit, it is mostly due to the cyclone storms in adjoining States.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in.

I've lost count of the shaves from Shark Super Chrome blade.
This was a very good find, as far as blades are concerned I will put Shark blade same as Gillette 7 O'clock Black, but more smooth and agile.

If the remaining Shark blades will last just as long as this, I'll be able to complete the "Arko Sharko August" with my remaining Shark blades easily.
This is so cool... it is not even June but already members the world over are preparing for

Arko-Sharko August!

On The Thirtieth Day Of GRUMEing...Still In

Shower and Giovanni Shave Cream used as a pre-shave
Trumper Rose cream applied with a Anbbas badger brush
E Jagger 89 loaded with Nacet blade
Mario Badescu Rose Water spray, moisturizers and Davidoff Cooling Waters

What a month it has been.

Today, I managed to shave before church and a great shave it was. First, the Giavanni Shave cream used as a pre-shave is excellent. Next, the Trumper Rose smelled great and I enjoyed painting it on my face and neck. The real star attraction was combining a Nacet blade with a E Jagger razor. This combo was smooth WTG and XTG. I took my first baby steps shaving ATG for the first time ever on part of my neckline.
My compliments and thanks to B&B and everyone involved in GRUME this month.

Good Day

PXL_20210530_173013090.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The women from my alma mater have just won the collegiate national championship in lacrosse. I believe this is the first natty any BC women's team has won- the women's hockey team are perennial finalists in their tournament, but they've never won it.

With that in mind I of course elected to use an Eagle in Super for my shave, with Proraso white soap and vintage kanon cologne. A GSB blade in the red tip Super Speed did the hair removal.

Still in.

bc lax.jpg

Haven't posted in awhile due too some life stuff (all good), but am pleased to say, that I'm still in.

With a few exceptions, I've been hanging with my Soap Commander Endurance shave soap, various razors, and blades (including 2 Shark Stainless and 2 Shark Chromes). I do have to thank everyone who participated in Grume, it's an eyeopener to step back from the buying the "latest and greatest".

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Haven't posted in awhile due too some life stuff (all good), but am pleased to say, that I'm still in.

With a few exceptions, I've been hanging with my Soap Commander Endurance shave soap, various razors, and blades (including 2 Shark Stainless and 2 Shark Chromes). I do have to thank everyone who participated in Grume, it's an eyeopener to step back from the buying the "latest and greatest".
Good to see you back on the boards.

Still in.

1622418032713.png

This is the razor I've alluded to in some previous stories, including one in which I consulted the wisdom of the thread about whether acquiring it put me out of the GRUME. Love a razor with a backstory, and this is a good one.

On another forum, there was a DE shaver who had decided to take up straight razor shaving, and to do it by having a razor custom made. A metallurgist by trade, he studied the composition of various steels, and decided on a very modern steel, CPM M4, for its fine-grained carbides and other characteristics that he knows and I do not. One I do know is the 4% chromium content. So this is not a stainless steel.

He received the razor, and found it frustrating, just a mess to shave with. He sent it out to be honed, at significant expense, and got it back -- still not good. I offered to hone it for him for nothing, as I did to a more general audience in a thread here, and he sent it my way.

It was a long process. With those hard carbides, diamond (or CBN) was a must. The razor had a low spot at the toe on one side. Anyway, skipping a long honing story, I did my thing, describing the steps and posting microscope pictures at each step.

Finally, I was happy, and gave it a shave test. Wow. I was impressed. It was comfortable, very keen, and had some of the qualities of a stainless steel razor, where it wants to glide over your face. I sent it back to him, and asked whether the maker would be willing to consider making me one in 5/8 or 6/8 (that's another story, but the short answer is not really).

Of course I fully expected that he would be as happy with his shave as I was, but no, he was as frustrated as ever, and planned to return to DE shaving. I was confused and displeased -- how could I have messed up, when the razor shaved so well for me? I did not expect the next step: he said that if I wanted the razor, I could have it for free! His view was that he had seen just how much effort I had put in, so I had earned it. My view was that I loved the razor and would be happy to pay for it, but he would not hear of it.

So now it's mine. I put it through a sequence, because I wanted to knock off both that low spot, which I had merely accommodated during the previous honing, and the smile, because I don't really like smiles on razors.

With the world now so connected, there is rarely something new under the sun. So I suppose this is probably not the only CPM M4 razor in existence. But it is certainly unusual, and special, and it speaks to me, and I am very happy to have it.

The shave was, of course, absolutely excellent.

Still in.

I managed to capture a picture of today's setup, it was a lot of work 😉

Consistency; this is the word that comes to mind after getting continuous, good quality shaves with same soap and blade for almost a month.

I learned to not go after BBS daily, especially in Summer season.

I'm enjoying the daily 2 Pass DFS+ shaves and it's better to enjoy the shaves than run after the BBS, when I know it is going to disappear as soon as the hair grows back.

For me, BBS is a fleeting feeling, it comes automatically and I enjoy it when it comes that way.

Beehive was a worthy investment and it is serving me very well.

IMG_20210531_171646.jpg

Top Bottom