What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Well, once again I succumbed. Twas a Carbon Ti that got me. Some things you gotta grab when they're in stock. So I'm out for May but I'll be bach.

See yawl in June.
We'll be here. :)

Please do play along from home for the last few days, if you are so inclined, and we'll see you then.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Beagle!
2) @Doti B
3) @MtView - Beagle!
4) @wmadoty
5) @Herrenberg - Beagle!
6) @La Malice
7) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
8) @henrickd - GRUYERE
9) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (5/9: Ever Ready SE razor) - Beagle!
10) @Roedeer
11) @Chef455
12) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
13) @Owen Bawn - Beagle Herder!
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
15) @Schnitzel52
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @AZBronco
18) @Cahoots
19) @SeinfeldNoir
20) @tjsgarden - Beagle!
21) @pdieten - GRUYERE
22) @Timeclo
23) @Kyle89 - Beagle!
24) @Sinnbad11
25) Cino - out (5/28: Carbon Ti)
26) @redrako
27) Sandorfi - out (5/3: Soaps and aftershaves)
28) SharpieB - out (5/10: GC .84-P plate) - Beagle!
29) @Sotiris_A
30) @Tomo
31) @FL shaver
32) linty1 - out (5/12: PIF entry)

The June thread is up:

Well, once again I succumbed. Twas a Carbon Ti that got me. Some things you gotta grab when they're in stock. So I'm out for May but I'll be bach.

See yawl in June.

Exactly — a time-limited opportunity. That's what got me out in April.

Still in, 90.3% of May complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A near-perfect result, with no irritation.

No major temptations have surfaced here.

I couldn't help reading about the latest DE offerings from RazoRock, but I already have four Game Changer plates that cover most eventualities.

Sticking the slim Game Changer head onto a light 84mm handle got the ergonomic bugs out of the system for me, and the Windrose handles also look good.

Game over? I suspect it's the non-DE stuff that I'll have to beware of now...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Relaxing late night shave to calm down after watching three back-to-back thrilling games of... college softball. Same old GSB blade in the same old red tip Super Speed. A Zenith that was advertised as a Manchurian but which looks and acts like a hybrid Manchurian/Silvertip. It's a really nice brush either way, and a nice change from the Zenith Manchurians about which I have no doubt. Williams Mug Soap, mug & then face lathered, and Booster Island Bay Rum to finish.
Still in!

Still in.

No time to think about shaving gear. The new project at work is keeping me busy... :biggrin1:

So, I am enjoying not having to choose anything more than the SR of the day. The 59 is still going strong after 2 months of daily use, as is the MWF, which is still around 3/4 full. I think it will last more than 6 months this time.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

Is it just me, or have others noticed how few seem to have washed out of the Grume this month?
I was literally just thinking exactly the same thing. I’m still in, too. Latest setup has been:
0F4CC125-3B00-4B73-9334-980109126D8F.jpeg

Still in.
The dilemma I have is I need to shave before going out this evening. What to use though ? I have narrowed the razor down to a choice between Rockwell 6C and Fatboy, but the soap/cream undecided between Monsavon Bol a Raser, SV 70th, Trumper GFT or CF Lime. Help guys 😎😎😎😎

CF Lime is on my radar for June.

Still in.

It is not just cool in New England today, it is cold. It is raining and 42 degrees out.

Because of the weather I reached for the Lavanille soap and balm with a Chubby 2 synth. I hadn't packed away my brush scuttle for the season yet so I used that too.

I had an easy BBS shave with the Karve SS and D(SB) plate.

I watched the "new" Midway movie last night and plan on watching the PBS documentary that I purchased a while back called "Air Group 16: We Came to Remember" tonight. It shows the last (?) reunion of WWII carrier pilots who formed up at Quonset, RI. They are quite elderly in the documentary and I find it fascinating to watch them reflect on the war experiences of their youth with the wisdom of age.

Last edited:
On The 29th Day Of GRUME
Still In

Hot water splashes and Viking Blade foaming cream used for pre shave
Lather & Wood Bay Rum bowl mixed and applied with Fendrihan brush
Henson AL-13 with Feather blade
Cold water splashes, aloe vera gel, moisturizers and Grey Flannel cologne

I experimented with the Viking Blade foaming cream this morning. I don't particularly like it as a stand alone product but I thought it may add slickness as a pre shave. Now I am not so sure. Combined with the Lather & Wood I seem to get some dragging and not as much gliding. The results were very good but I was left with a little burn. Oh well, live and learn.

As a side note, the Fendrihan 24mm synthetic is GREAT for face painters that like a very soft brush. It is softer than my RR Plissoft but with a little less backbone It applies a super smooth lather.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Good Day

Still in

Schick Injector Type I2 -Hydro-Magic
Schick Injector (7)
Stirling Coconut Lime sample
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Gillette Cool Wave

A fantastic BBS shave after mowing the yard this AM! I'm really enjoying the Stirling Coconut Lime scent and the performance is top notch as always.

Stil in. Lovely shave tonight. Finally went with
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: Frank Shaving 2-band Badger
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (9/7/5)
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Cream: Trumper GFT
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS splash
Trumper Extract of Limes skin food
Trumper GFT Cologne

Lovely 3 pass BBS shave. 9/7/5 with the Fatboy definitely works for me and the Tiger Platinum is a revelation for me.

Almost another GRUME over. Roll on the next one 😎😎😎😎

On The 29th Day Of GRUME
Still In

Hot water splashes and Viking Blade foaming cream used for pre shave
Lather & Wood Bay Rum bowl mixed and applied with Fendrihan brush
Henson AL-13 with Feather blade
Cold water splashes, aloe vera gel, moisturizers and Grey Flannel cologne

I experimented with the Viking Blade foaming cream this morning. I don't particularly like it as a stand alone product but I thought it may add slickness as a pre shave. Now I am not so sure. Combined with the Lather & Wood I seem to get some dragging and not as much gliding. The results were very good but I was left with a little burn. Oh well, live and learn.

As a side note, the Fendrihan 24mm synthetic is GREAT for face painters that like a very soft brush. It is softer than my RR Plissoft but with a little less backbone It applies a super smooth lather.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Good Day

I know you wanted to try some blades. PM me what you want to try and we can work out a trade. I would like to see you in the June GRUME just because I like your posts.

Still in.

I need to shave. I spent the day mounting an antenna and running cable on my roof. Sick of cable expenses when we have all these streaming services we’re paying for.

This will probably be my last post of May. I’d like to wish everyone good shaves and thank you for a fun thread in May. I always enjoy the GRUMES because there’s enough new blood to keep things interesting. Some people are active one month but take a month off from posting due to life but there’s always someone posting interesting things. Thanks all. I hope to hear from you all in the future even if it isn’t the June GRUME.

Den

Still in, 93.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Used the same kit, and got another outstanding result, so I've got no rational need to buy another DE.

I'm hoping to do some "real" (bricks and mortar) recreational shopping later in June, which will no doubt throw up random temptations...

Top Bottom