What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Dorco ST301 (2)

Result :

Went back to a 2 pass shave and clean up, small amount of alum feedback, 1 tiny nick OK shave, talk to you guys next week.

Behold the reason of my failiure :redface-new:.
View attachment 1262675View attachment 1262675

Couln't resist this offer from a fellow member on a local forum (at 20€/24$). Up to the next grume.
Good luck to all of you with this one.
That's a fantastic deal! Tabac and B&M are in my Top 5, so it might have gotten me, too, had I seen it. :)

Which cream is the Simpsons?

That's a fantastic deal! Tabac and B&M are in my Top 5, so it might have gotten me, too, had I seen it. :)

Which cream is the Simpsons?
Dont realy know, not much info beside what's on the tin lid.
I think they don't sell this anymore (was it a sort of limited edition?).
Anyway it smells soapy and fresh (so far my fantastic scent discription).
Goint to try this one soon...

Dont realy know, not much info beside what's on the tin lid.
I think they don't sell this anymore (was it a sort of limited edition?).
Anyway it smells soapy and fresh (so far my fantastic scent discription).
Goint to try this one soon...
Cool, let us know how it goes. I had their Peppermint and Rosemary cream, and it was fantastic.

Still in. Tonight’s shave.
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: Astra SS (1st use)
Soap: MWF
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

BBS shave tonight with the new blade. Sharper than the Astra SP IMO, but not as smooth on first use. More feedback than usual with the alum too. Be intrigued to see if this smooths out a bit on 2nd/3rd uses.

Still in, 19.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

A lazy man's autopilot DFS. The Rockwell head is a good match with the 84mm Ti handle (total weight 88g).

BBS shave tonight with the new blade. Sharper than the Astra SP IMO, but not as smooth on first use. More feedback than usual with the alum too. Be intrigued to see if this smooths out a bit on 2nd/3rd uses.

I have not revisited my Astra SS since the first shave, where it felt like I was going to get nicked ATG.

Maybe it's just an extreme case of "works better on the second shave", so I'll try it again in the Rockwell, with something tame like R2.

Still in.
Razor: RR GC 68-P
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: RR 400 MB
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Proraso Blue
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Have a great day y’all!
9EF453AA-9D5B-4403-B021-8AC9DF0A8647.jpeg

Still in.

Pulled out the 1956 Red Tip and tried it with a BIC blade (2) tonight. Nice combo!

The beastly huge Thater 4125/4 2-band Silvertip lathered up way more Canada Shaving Soap than I could use in one shave. Did a rare 4 pass shave and the rest went down the sink. Canada Shaving Soap is amazing stuff. Unscented only, but one of the best performing soaps I have ever used.

Pre-Shave: hot water
Lather: Muhle Aloe Vera shaving stick
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Razor: Merkur 34c hd
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic(3)
Post-shave: cold water & Geo f Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

Results: Bbs face dfs neck, 9.5/10

I'm still in and so far I'm loving my current stuff so much that I have no desire to buy more. My Simpsons Trafalgar T1 is giving me so much joy at the moment that I've almost forgotten about my unused Classic 1 Synthetic.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Silver Blue, red tip Super Speed
Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Arko stick, face lathered
Pinaud Clubman

I seldom remember 'Clubman Friday,' but I remembered it this morning. The Chubby 1 Super is the finest small brush in the world. Get yourself one when the GRUME ends! Great shave, and I'm still in.

Cool, let us know how it goes. I had their Peppermint and Rosemary cream, and it was fantastic.
This morning I had a shave with the Simpson Unscented cream and I was amazed. This is by far the best cream I ever used.
The only thing it lacks is the scent. For the rest: easy to build and very dense, thick and creamy lather, even with a redicilous small amount of cream (had enough for 6 passes I guess). Slickness and post-shave feel is exceptional.. Between the passes I rince with water and the slickness is unbelieveable.
Such a shame they don't sell this anymore.

To all the GRUMErs, keep up the good work :thumbup1:

Still in... but a custom Feather DX in BTS is seriously working on me.

Had a few extra minutes this morning so went with the straight razor.
AOS unscented pre-shave oil.
Paladin Moby brush.
AOS Lavender soap.
Still very new to using a SR so I can't say it was a great shave but my skill is improving. A little closer every time and no slices but did get a few nicks around my chin trying to get XTG passes right.
Finished with alum block, Osage Rub and AOS aftershave gel.

All in all not bad at all. Wife still thinks I'm nuts for learning the death blade as she calls it.

Still in.

Pre-Shave: 365 Everyday Value Olive Oil Glycerin Soap
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance
Brush: Wet Shaving Products Monarch Silvertip
Razor: Maggard V3 MR1
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (3)
Post-shave: Avon Spicy

I've taken this month as an opportunity to experiment with a few blades that I had set aside because I rejected them in my early days of wet shaving. These were the days when my confidence in technique was only outweighed by the number of passes I made in search of the elusive BBS.

Today's blade is the Shark Super Chrome. These are the sharks that came in the Derby-like plastic holder. Having used four of them, three shaves per blade, I quite enjoy them. I find them comparable to Gillette Platinums - it's smoothness making for a comfortable shave, but sharp enough to get the job done.

This morning I had a shave with the Simpson Unscented cream and I was amazed. This is by far the best cream I ever used.
The only thing it lacks is the scent. For the rest: easy to build and very dense, thick and creamy lather, even with a redicilous small amount of cream (had enough for 6 passes I guess). Slickness and post-shave feel is exceptional.. Between the passes I rince with water and the slickness is unbelieveable.
Such a shame they don't sell this anymore.

To all the GRUMErs, keep up the good work :thumbup1:
The Simpsons cream is really good stuff. Anyone with a Simpson addiction that buys direct will have a ton of it as they are throwing it in with almost every brush order. Hell, even my Berkeley came with a free tub.

Simpson does still sell the cream for £5 in limited scents and their new cream is on sale now for only £7. I am dying to try the Lime. 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in.

Pre-Shave: 365 Everyday Value Olive Oil Glycerin Soap
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance
Brush: Wet Shaving Products Monarch Silvertip
Razor: Maggard V3 MR1
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (3)
Post-shave: Avon Spicy

I've taken this month as an opportunity to experiment with a few blades that I had set aside because I rejected them in my early days of wet shaving. These were the days when my confidence in technique was only outweighed by the number of passes I made in search of the elusive BBS.

Today's blade is the Shark Super Chrome. These are the sharks that came in the Derby-like plastic holder. Having used four of them, three shaves per blade, I quite enjoy them. I find them comparable to Gillette Platinums - it's smoothness making for a comfortable shave, but sharp enough to get the job done.
You'll have to get in on Shark Week this summer- a week of using Shark blades. The real die hards combine Shark Week and Arko August and do a solid month of Arko-Sharko.

Top Bottom