What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

BEE49E93-0F94-49CC-98B1-1140A4FC8E3B.jpeg

First use with the Colonel (and frankly, first time using a badger brush). Got the lather pretty close to how I liked it, but I'll have to load it up a bit more. Had just the right amount of scritch to it, and was really surprised how the denseness felt on my face. Did not feel the need to splay it at all. The shape itself was all I needed. It will be interesting to see how it changes over time, but wouldn't be upset if the change is minimal.

Still in!

Question: Can some type of menthol additive be added to the soap with the bloom water or in the lathering bowl?
I've used a PAA Chill Mill to grind up menthol crystals in bloom water. All a Chill Mill is is a salt grinder with menthol crystals instead of salt crystals. PAA puts a funky sticker on it and gives it a whacky name. If you have a salt mill all you need are the crystals. If you need menthol crystals PM me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in!
This shave was heavily inspired by @Owen Bawn

Brand new silver blue, in my Gillette red tip. A big beautiful badger brush and arko smashed in a mug, I didn't have a suitable bay rum but Limon will do fine. Culminated in a very good shave.
View attachment 1262503
I knew I shoulda trademarked "Arko mashed in a mug." Looks like a terrific shave!

3th day of the GRUME ... and big fail after day three.
Couldn't resist the offer on a local forum and bought 3 soaps and 2 aftershaves for almost nothing, it was a steal I couldn't resist.
Next time, there's always next time (and just maybe I will break my record of 3) :innocent:

Behold the reason of my failiure :redface-new:.
IMG_20210506_143617436_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20210506_143617436_HDR_2.jpg

Couln't resist this offer from a fellow member on a local forum (at 20€/24$). Up to the next grume.
Good luck to all of you with this one.

You're good, man. Very good.
A new Gillette Silver Blue in the red tip Super Speed
Simpsons M7 synthetic
Williams Mug Soap
Booster Island Bay Rum

Today's synthetics really make a nice lather. I'm one of those guys everybody hates- I not only get it to lather easily but I put Williams on the same level as soaps like Mitchells Wool Fat and Haslinger in terms of quality of shave. Always leaves me feeling clean. And Booster bay rum has a good clean scent as well so it all fit together nicely. Still in, and still enjoying restraint.

Owen, you make me want to try Williams again,.....almost. :)

Still In

Pre-Shave: 365 Everyday Value Olive Oil Glycerin Soap
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance
Brush: Stirling Butterscotch 24mm Finest
Razor: Maggard V3 MR1
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Shulton Old Spice Fresh Lime

Missed yesterday's shave, so this morning's shave was two days growth. As is usually the case, two, or more days, today's shave was top notch.

In my previous post, I mentioned my love/hate relationship with Super-Max Super Platinums in the Maggard MR1. This morning, that blade/razor combination was magnificent.

Lastly, a shout out to Shulton's Old Spice Fresh Lime for a terrific scent.

Still in.

Crown Shaving Co. pre-shave
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
Simpsons Tulip 3 Super
T&H 1805 cream and balm

This was my first time using the T&H balm. On the plus side it wasn't as thick as it looked in the bottle and it left me with a soft and smooth post-shave feel. On the minus side I didn't find it as soothing as other balms and it wasn't the splash. As others have noted elsewhere it was very lightly scented which I consider a minus, but not unusual for a balm. Why oh why T&H did you do away with the splashes?

The Sixth Day Of GRUME...The Journey Continues...

Still In

Yesterday I shot for a cool and refreshing shave. It was very successful. Until earlier this week, I thought icy or menthol ingredients would cause irritation. Yesterday's shave helped me realize I can use cooling ingredients without experiencing sensitivity issues. I am still not sure adding peppermint essential oil is the way to go. I am looking forward to adding menthol crystals to soap bloom water or a lather bowl and enjoying that experience.

Today I decided to go in a different direction. Rosy! Rosy! Rosy!

Pre-shave: Warm to hot water splashes and Geo. F. Trumper's Skin Food (rose)
Henson AL13 with Feather blade (2x)
Geo. F. Trumper's Rose Cream
RR synthetic brush
Post Shave: Mario Badescu Rosewater Spray and usual skin cream and serum; Lucky Tiger Face Tonic on hands and arms

Comments
The Trumper's Skin Food didn't work that well as a pre shave. I felt the blade trying to drag and it didn't seem to be slick. I rinsed the lather off and used just the shaving cream. The Henson is light and made with aluminum. The weight of the razor without any pressure was sufficient for a smooth shave. I think the skin food would work better for me post shave.

Top Bottom