What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still In, finishing strong.

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower,
Lather: Soap Commander Endurance,
Brush: DS Maggard Blue Ocean 24 mm 2-Band,
Razor: Gillette Red Tip B2,
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1),
Post-shave: Avon Spicy, Soap Commander Endurance balm,

This month, I've enjoyed seeing everyone's fine kits. So finishing up, I've chosen Owen's red tip, super-speed loaded with a new Gillette Silver Blue.

Because this is Memorial Day, let's all take some time to think of servicemen who are no longer with us. For my family, it's Henry Wright, Joe Silveria and Theron Squires.

Alright, still in, 12h to go I am sure I can make it until the end

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Shark Super Chrome (2)

Result :

Well this morning shave happened last nigh as I was made aware at the last minute that we were expected for diner at the in-laws

Last and final shave of my 3 month blade trek. underwhelming result with this blade compared to the stainless steel a few nick here and there on each shave slight irritated a few hours later.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Last shave of May. Starting tomorrow I'm going to go all-synthetic until 4 July or the arrival of my Beagle brush, whichever comes first! I have a box of synthetics that never get used- take them all for a spin and see how they perform.

Today, a new GSB in the same red tip Super Speed; a Paladin Mandarin brush and Williams Mug Soap. Finished with some of that Dollar Store Old Spice knock-off.

Still in. Thanks to all for the camaraderie and support, and as always, thanks to @FoolishMortal for managing this thread. He's helped so many of us by keeping the GRUME light burning.

Still in.

I hadn’t planned on shaving today but worked the bee hives this morning. I came in smelling like smoke, covered in honey and sweat and sore from lifting heavy supers. The honey supers are filling up. I decided a nice shower and shave was in order. The only time I like menthol and/or spikenard is after working in the heat. Even then I’m mostly ambivalent towards them. It was my usual kit except for the brush and PAA Star Jelly (I traded for it.). I’ll list them out since I’ve been pretty lazy with that in May. I was still too lazy to snap a picture.

Head shave and goatee trim.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” (19) - head shaves only

» Twig w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” 1/2 blade (19) - neck and goatee trims only

» Ever-Ready 26MM 200 "Ben Shipp Edition" Butterscotch and Red w/2 band bulb - (Heritage Shaving)

» PAA Black Bot CK-6 (just a sliver left)

» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

» PAA Black Bot Star Jelly (smells nothing like the soap or aftershave)

I did a recent a recent trade for the Black Bot Star Jelly. To me it smells like pure moonshine, just alcohol, very little scent. A few months ago @Sinnbad11 and I did a trade and I ended up with some PAA Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly. That has a nice scent and smells more like a traditional AS. The Black Bot smells like the time I spilled 1/2 pint of corn liquor down my front while drinking at a motorcycle club’s private clubhouse in southern MO (true story.) If there are any Wingmen on the board, sorry for wasting the moonshine and thanks for not beating me into the ground for being sloppy.

Thanks @redrako for bringing up Memorial Day. In my family it’s Dick Sternitzke and Bruce Olson.

Onward to June!

On The Final Day Of GRUME For May, 2021...drum roll please...Still In!

First things First.
It has been a personal blessing to "GRUME" with you guys this month. I have learned a lot about shaving but more important, I have learned deeper personal lessons. It has been a unique experience to read reports from everyone. Too bad we couldn't meet and celebrate together over a couple drinks. Cheers to everyone!

Best wishes to the June GRUMERS. I plan to continue my GRUME-ing journey in July.

Oh Yeah, The Shave...
Shower and hot water splashed pre shave
MWF face painted with Simpson Emperor #1
Feather Popular razor with Nacet blade
Cold water splashes, aloe vera gel, Pinaud Lime Sec and moisturizers

THANKS TO EVERYONE
GOOD DAY!

Still in
Micromatic Monday May 31st
New blade in the clog pruf, lost a couple extra skin cells but it's not too bad at all.
0531212115~2.jpg

100% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

BBS face, DFS neck, and near zero post-shave irritation.

That was a good month. I've coaxed some of my best results yet out of this Game Changer, instead of "blaming the tools" and going shopping.

Thanks to everyone else who took part, and to @FoolishMortal for organising it. I hope to see many of you over on the June GRUME.

I just picked up some New Republic Aloe Vera for my razor burn. I used it before as a moisturizer back in the day and figured it would be good for shaving as well. I'll let you guys know.

Oh my bad. I didn't know this was a timeline thread. Honestly, I just searched for the New Republic to read opinions or reviews on it. Thanks for letting me know mis-posted.
Ahh, no big deal. It's fun to revisit where we were at a point in time. :)

To the point, though, there is always a current-month GRUME thread to peruse, should you have the inclination. ;)

Top Bottom