What's new

May 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

First day of May GRUME. This morning's shave was Titan 1918 ACRO SR with Proraso green cream face lathered with badger.

After the shave, I put my orders in with AliExpress and Lazada; hinges and latch for a second matching seven-day set case, more lapping film, and a couple of GD 66 SRs to use to teach my housemaid how to balsa strop.

I think I am developing a 7DSAD. This could get expensive.
I just hope that your post office reopens soon so you can get the stuff!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just hope that your post office reopens soon so you can get the stuff!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I am hoping the same. Lazada have started delivering again , including stuff from China. Looks like PhilPost will be closed down until at least mid May. AliExpress stuff comes through PhilPost.

According to tracking, I have 1 x Titan VG10-HZ SR and 2 x Titan ACRM-2 SRs sitting in my local PO. I need the ACRM-2's to complete my matching 7DS. I also have another 7 x Titan VG10-HZ's sitting in Manila. They are for my second matching 7DS.

Am I developing a 7DSAD?

Life is not always easy in my little bit of paradise.

Last edited:
First shave of the month with Karve SS OC-C and fresh Derby blade.
Today is my rare day off, and I opted for the morning shave instead of routine evening.
I had four days' stubble, and after three passes - no nicks, no irritation - I am happy with the result. I think I will give OC a thorough run for a month or so.

First shave of the month was very nice!
Schick Krona
Wilkinson Sword (8)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Omega 10290 Boar
Pinaud Clubman

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Don’t usually bother with pre or after shaves, first shave was quite standard for me:
Rockwell 6S(R2)
Astra SP (2)
Proraso white
EJ silvertip badger brush

Quite smooth, there are a few spots though where I wish I was using a R4/5 plate.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
May 1st, 2020
SOTD
20200501_131003_kindlephoto-102270875.jpg

Damn, I blew it on the very first day!

Bought a bottle of Pino Silvestre on line.

But I had to! It looks like you can't get the original after shave any more, just the spray EDT. It looked like this vendor had some NOS with the splash so I had to buy it!

a9bb396caa0c3e49b719a376b50d57343686fc8f01c390f5d9fe7c4b99720966.jpg

I mean com'on....

who wouldn't want that bottle in their shave den?

So, I had to do it as you may not be able to get it any more.

You understand that, right?

But I had to! It looks like you can't get the original after shave any more, just the spray EDT. It looked like this vendor had some NOS with the splash so I had to buy it!

View attachment 1094560
I mean com'on....

So, is this an unobtanium item you've been searching for, or something that you stumbled across and thought it would be cool to buy?

Last edited:

Ridpath

FIGHTER!

View attachment 1094560
I mean com'on....

Ooh, that’s a really pretty bottle! If it was to score a time limited offer on something like that, I think most of us can understand. I certainly wouldn’t have done any different!

Ooh, that’s a really pretty bottle! If it was to score a time limited offer on something like that, I think most of us can understand. I certainly wouldn’t have done any different!

That makes me feel better but still, I feel dirty.

I lost my self-control.....

I feel like a you-know-what!

I am not going to answer that question.

I invoke my rights against self incrimination under the Fifth Amendment!
Right. Gotcha.

Well, I guess the good news is that there's no post from you, signing up for the GRUME, in this thread. So, if you failed, you only failed for yourself...which is what the GRUME is all about, anyway. :)

Last edited:
Starting the GRUME with a great shave! SOTD - 01 MAY 2020

SOTD 05012020.jpg

Brush - Rudy Vey "Big Ivory"
Lather - Palmolive Classic cream
Razors - CJB Kamisori shavette / EJ DE89
Blades - Feather AC Pro (4) / Astra SP (2)
Post-shave - Stirling WH Orange Chill

Still getting used to the shavette. It feels tuggy on heavier growths but with the right angle, it's bearable. One day, I'll get a DFS with the shavette but for now, I'm doing cleanups with DE. Excellent shaving cream. Really surprised me with the slickness for great value.

For the first time in eons (a year?), I used my Colonial General V1 in stainless with a new Feather Pro blade. Tremendous shave. I'm going to start pulling out my neglected razors to remind myself why I like them...

Day 1: All that stuff about Polsilver and Wizamet had my finger hovering over an eBay Wizamet buy, which is surely irrational, since I haven't tried them, and like Astra SP. Come on, laddie.

Preshave: Hot facecloth, Nuage shave oil
Brush: None
Soap: Canned foam
Razor: Rockwell 6S with R4
Blade: New Astra SP (1)
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Modern Brut.

01-05-20.JPG

Day 1:
Razor - Timeless SS 0.68 OC
Brush - Semogue 610
Soap - Czech & Speake OC
Post shave - DR Harris Windsor AS
Blade - Fresh Feather Hi Stainless

I feel like I now need a Timeless titanium 0.68, since it would maybe be a blingier, nicer Rockwell R5.

On the other hand, I used the R4 today, and liked it.

Stick with what you like. For me it’s the Timeless. I’ve sold all of my other DE’s now. The Timeless is a perfect daily driver for me. Still joined the Wolfman waiting list to see what all the WR2 fuss is about. I doubt if that will effect the May GRUME though!

First time participating.

First day shave was phenomenal.
Paradigm Diamondback 2020
Silver Blue Blade, day 2 (my sweet spot)
Grooming Dept Pre and Soap (Angel)
Declaration Grooming AS (Massacre)

I’m not sure I’ll ever buy another razor. This thing is perfect for me. I’m scared to go back to my Charcoal Goods.

Top Bottom