What's new

May 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm intrigued by the CJB, Timeclo. I ought to try some sort of shavette, if I can get hold of one.

Basic Rockwell R5 tidy-up here, a good SAS, and then played around with using the plastic Wilkinson Classic as "difficult area" ATG device on my chin. Mostly good.
It's a cheaper alternative to the Feather kamosori shavette. It can be very unforgiving but once I got a stable hand and a steepish angle, it's been giving me better shaves every time. I haven't gotten any irritations yet and I've used this about 15 times. I'm planning to daily shave for a while to test out its irritation-O-meter.

Still in.... resisted the weekend sales

Gillette '48-'49 NDC Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword (3)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Omega 10065 Boar
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Still in. The weather got quite warm here and my skin behaves better. I don't have a lot of time to think about the software and hardware that I will use on a daily basis. I just grab a soap, a brush and a razor. I gravitate towards more aggressive razors and settings lately (Rex #4-6, Progress #4 or higher etc.). Somehow things work well :D

Happy shaves and see you in the next month's thread!

Still in. SOTD - 26 MAY 2020

SOTD 05262020.jpg

Good shave. Continuing to work on lathering the Siliski soaps test base and honing my shavette techinques.

No temptation so far. I do see a nice sale for one of my favorite brushes but I got too many at the moment. Let's continue to enjoy what we have!

Well done, gents!

We haven't lost anyone for a while (hold thumbs, cross fingers, knock wood) and we're nearly at the end. I'll have the June thread up shortly. In the meanwhile, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) Wgg2017 - out (5/3: 3 Soaps)
3) @Timeclo
4) @Roedeer
5) Tomo - out (5/15: Scuttle and SR)
6) @Blathering Idiot
7) @Chef455
8) Ridpath - out (5/11: Just...Wow.)
9) @rbscebu
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) Billy T. - out (5/8: Tcheon Fung Sing set)
12) @cryhavoc
13) @Sotiris_A
14) @Fred D
15) @RTM
16) @pbrmhl
17) Schnitzel52 - out (5/10: straight shave)
18) @GaryTha

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It has been a pleasure sharing this month's GRUME with you all. Unfortunately I will not be participating in the June GRUME. I have a few shaving projects I want to get stuck into, like another one or two matching seven-day SR sets.

I can't think of anything I desperately need to get before the end of June, at least shaving-related.

The situation regarding bricks-and-mortar outlets might change, though, and I'd gladly support our local ones, if it doesn't put their staff at risk.

Pencil me in for the June GRUME, anyway.

Still in! SOTD - 27 MAY 2020

SOTD 05272020.jpg

Had a quick one pass with the Lupo and finished off with my CJB shavette. Nice and enjoyable shave. My skin is still red for some reason but I'm trying my best to keep it under control.

No temptation today other than thoughts of purchasing something in June... neh. I think I'll be fine for couple more months.

Still in. SOTD - 28 MAY 2020

SOTD 05282020.jpg

Great shave. DE helped get the stubbles off the side of my neck and shavette mowed through everything else.

SOTD
  • Schoccolo v1*
  • Nacet (25)
  • Formula T Tobacco
  • Rubberset 203 re-knotted 28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I mixed it up a bit today, using the Formula T Tobacco soap. I hadn't used it for a couple of months and I've been using a big boar that likes to eat lather, so I make sure to load heavy so as not to run out of lather. With a 30-second load, I got a fair bit of foam, which is usually a bad sign. However, the lather came together quite nicely and held up, occasionally dripping in long strings. The only problem with that soap is that it's so slick, I had trouble holding onto my brush!

After face-lathering for my first pass:

Formula_T_Tobacco_1.jpg
Formula_T_Tobacco_2.jpg

*Schone top cap, Piccolo base plate, Schone handle

Sweet and heavy scent of Núavia Rosso wasn't my first choice tonight. Instead I went with MdC Rose. The scent is perfect match for Mediterranean nights. I think I will put my 3017ing Núavia off for the time being.
MdC is a thirsty soap, I loaded heavy and gradually added water, three times while face lathering. The resulting lather is definitely top class. Very fragrant too.
I was on call last three days, so couldn't really took time off to have proper relaxing shave. Tonight I loaded Karve SS, OC-C with fresh Bolzano blade; two passes wtg and one xtg. Bolzano wins all awards in smooth category for me. Very nice, wishing you all great shaves.

Sweet and heavy scent of Núavia Rosso wasn't my first choice tonight. Instead I went with MdC Rose. The scent is perfect match for Mediterranean nights. I think I will put my 3017ing Núavia off for the time being.
MdC is a thirsty soap, I loaded heavy and gradually added water, three times while face lathering. The resulting lather is definitely top class. Very fragrant too.
I was on call last three days, so couldn't really took time off to have proper relaxing shave. Tonight I loaded Karve SS, OC-C with fresh Bolzano blade; two passes wtg and one xtg. Bolzano wins all awards in smooth category for me. Very nice, wishing you all great shaves.

I love both Rosso and MdC Rose. Sometimes one is the right answer, sometimes the other. These days, I prefer Rose.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in with only 60 hours to my finish.

I am staying with my Gold Dollar W59, genuine synthetic badger brush and Sanofi shave cream until the end. Only 5 more shaves to go.

This morning I finished off my shave with Proraso white pre-shave (used as a post-shave) cream followed by a slash of Clarifiance for a very comfortable result. I might keep that going for a while.

Top Bottom