What's new

May 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Well it just got worse.
Since I was “off the hook” I ordered an Omega 10066.
Connaught was out of stock on the 100842.
I 3017d the Ogallala Bay Rum a couple weeks ago and didn’t think 🤔 I needed to replace it.
I wanted to support the barbershop. At least that’s what I told myself. But, the soap is good. And a new brush on the way. Maybe I can find repentance...
Huh, well you did make a good purchase in that case. I love my 10066 and it felt broken from the start. Light handle but makes for a great lather. Hope you enjoy it.

Still in! I was tempted by a new brush handle but only for a second. The GRUME does keep your mind in focus on the end goal. Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with MWF but I'll be trying out another sample of it to compare. Hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoying your shaves!

As an aside, the rumor has it that my barber might be opening up again next week 🤗. Would having a barber shave put me out of this GRUME?
It's an interesting question. My considered opinion is that, so long as you don't walk out with additional supplies (even a sample), you're still in play. Paying to get a shave is not the same as buying supplies, as you don't actually have anything in your possession.

If someone wants to make an argument to the contrary, I'm open to hearing it.

Reactions: RTM

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What a depressing morning. After yesterday morning's mistaken shave that left me BBS, I had nothing to shave this morning.

Here's hoping that I will have some whiskers in time for my vesperum shave today.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in-
Gillette Heritage (don't mock me)
I did not bother to check the blade
Arko
WCS Synthetic
Rubbed a little alum powder on to test @njpaddy 's theory of alum blocks are pointless, I must say my face felt firmed up, no weepers to evaluate however.

Still in. Had a test lather w/ PAA Starcraft brush and Stirling Scots Pine Sheep. Creamy and Dense lather.

SOTD 05142020.jpg
Stirling Scots Pine Sheep.PNG

I did see a good price on a brush but I don't need it. I think I'm going to continue the GRUME for next month as well.

Still in

1958 Gillette TV Special Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword (5)
Mike's Bay Rum
Omega 40033 Mighty Midget Boar
Bootlegger's Green Freeze

Still in! SOTD - 15MAY2020

SOTD 05152020.jpg

Brush - Motherlode knot
Pre-shave - Cube 2.0
Lather - Spearhead SassyJavaDog
Razor - GC84
Blade - GWS (3)
Post-shave - Thayer's WH Rose

Amazing shave. Nice creamy lather made for an easy shave. GC84 cuts like butta. No irritation DFS+ shave.

I did get tempted today because a buddy offered me to sell one of his brushes. Looked amazing but I offered him to trade and he refused. Oh well. Time to move on and keep on the GRUME!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm happy again. After 48 hours since my unintentional BBS shave, this morning I had my normal whiskers back to shave. To celebrate, I used my most expensive (not necessarily my best) gear:

Titan ARCO SR
Mühle Badger brush
Proraso green shave cream

This time I was much more careful to not get that BBS finish. All went well and I was happy again.

Still in.

Sorry to say that I’m out again. Third time lucky next month.

It’s getting cold in Australia and a scuttle was required to get me through the winter. Also a man can’t seriously be expected to get by with a single straight razor, honing and stropping every day like a mad man. I clearly needed a backup.

8D160CBD-7877-4F99-AE17-A07E208E6722.jpeg

91F3256F-0769-41E6-9DCD-4608B6C83119.jpeg

Last edited:

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Sorry to say that I’m out again. Third time lucky next month.

It’s getting cold in Australia and a scuttle was required to get me through the winter. Also a man can’t seriously be expected to get by with a single straight razor, honing and stropping every day like a mad man. I clearly needed a backup.

View attachment 1100666

View attachment 1100667
Another one bites the dust... join us in the stands!

That is a very good looking scuttle, where’d you find it if you don’t mind me asking?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I received three new synthetic genuine badger hair brushes this morning, ordered last March. Lazada PH are getting back into delivering orders again.

I'm waiting to see if PhilPost open up again on Monday. I have many "presents" in their system waiting to be delivered, including 11 SR's.

Another one bites the dust... join us in the stands!

That is a very good looking scuttle, where’d you find it if you don’t mind me asking?

Still in. This weekend I decided on final try for Fitjar Släterøy cream sample. The verdict is - it's alright. I mean, it does exactly what it says on the tin, and the lather was looking good and felt fantastic. Still there is something missing. Maybe it's me, not caring for bay rum variations.

Top Bottom