What's new

Maxwell June Razor. Anyone try this razor yet?

My second shave today with the Maxwell June was terrific. I pushed the razor and achieved a BBS shave in three-passes using the Astra with no irritation or other issues. Quite an interesting razor, and I'm curious to see how this one will do in the marketplace.

As a comparison, my two shaves with this razor seem better to me than the OneBlade Hybrid shaves I've had. This is despite the general preference I've developed for thicker, stiffer SE blades for my shaves. Both the OneBlade Hybrid and the Maxwell June retail for roughly $100, and each seems targeted to cartridge shavers, which makes it to me an interesting comparison. I did pick up the Hybrid off the BST, while I bought the Maxwell June new.

I'm still waiting for the wife to weigh in on the Maxwell June, I did put it back in the shower for her after shaving this morning. Being a husband for a couple of weeks shy of 45 years, I've learned to wait with such things rather than ask :001_smile .

Good day all!

PXL_20210930_182025803.jpg

I don’t think the blades should be loose. My razor has not exhibited that behavior. If you continue to experience loose blades you should insist that MJ make it right. Are you holding the top piece of the press over the middle piece of the press when you remove the middle piece after seating the blade? The purpose of the very top piece is to keep the guard/insert seated into the razor base when you remove the middle section of the press. Make sure to keep a good pressure on the top piece of the press when removing the middle piece.
"I did not have any issues of the blade falling out of the head during shaving, but I did notice the blade was somewhat loose after loading." Yes, I have been keeping the top piece firmly pressed against the middle piece when removing the middle piece, and sometimes the thin removeable part of the razor head slips loose. I've done some experimenting and I think I may have solved the issue. Up until now, I have been loading the blade as the person in the video does, with fingers and thumb on each side of the middle piece and pressing down. It seems to work better (for me) if I place my palm on top of the middle piece then quickly, and firmly, press down which seems to snap-n-mash the blade(s) into position. When I remove the razor from the loader, everything is tight. And, day 5 using the razor was very nice. 3-pass with minor clean-up and a BBS result.

"I did not have any issues of the blade falling out of the head during shaving, but I did notice the blade was somewhat loose after loading." Yes, I have been keeping the top piece firmly pressed against the middle piece when removing the middle piece, and sometimes the thin removeable part of the razor head slips loose. I've done some experimenting and I think I may have solved the issue. Up until now, I have been loading the blade as the person in the video does, with fingers and thumb on each side of the middle piece and pressing down. It seems to work better (for me) if I place my palm on top of the middle piece then quickly, and firmly, press down which seems to snap-n-mash the blade(s) into position. When I remove the razor from the loader, everything is tight. And, day 5 using the razor was very nice. 3-pass with minor clean-up and a BBS result.
That’s great! The blade loading is new to all of us and I look at it as just another part of the learning curve with this razor. I expect it to become second nature to us in a short time.

I finished my 7th shave, a full week with the Maxwell June, and remain quite impressed. The first two shaves were with the supplied Astra blade and quite nice. I switched to a Personna Med Prep for the next five shaves and the razor also performed well. All my shaves, spare one, were better than 9 out of 10, with a few 10s in there The one shave that wasn't great was still an 8+/10, likely because my lather just wasn't quite right yesterday.

Overall for me, after a full week, I'd call the Maxwell June a really good shaving razor. Easy, no stress, and very pleasant to shave with. Of late, I've been shaving mostly with stiffer SE blades, whether Artist Club, injector or Gem, but the Maxwell June yielded similar end results to those shaves with the twinned DE blade. The Maxwell June still feels a bit light to me, but one could get used to it. The vast variety in available DE blades could make for some very interesting comparison shaves over time. Trying many different DE blades in different razors has always been a fun aspect of this hobby. The Maxwell June razor will be staying in my arsenal.

Oh, the wife felt a little insecure with the Maxwell June for her underarms, noting she felt it might nick her, but did say it would excellent for leg shaving. So the razor may still yet disappear into her stuff. Go figure :001_smile .

Gents, newbie here. Nudging 70 & never used a safety razor. Looking for a mild head shaving razor. The LEAF seems to be the winner on my list but I've just come across the MaxJuneTwin. The website offers a better than cartridge shave experience (no blood or nicks) which is top of my list.

Anybody want to venture an opinion for Maxwell June vs LEAF for a head shaver?

Gents, newbie here. Nudging 70 & never used a safety razor. Looking for a mild head shaving razor. The LEAF seems to be the winner on my list but I've just come across the MaxJuneTwin. The website offers a better than cartridge shave experience (no blood or nicks) which is top of my list.

I am not a head shaver nor have I used a Leaf razor. Wish that I could help.

Thanks guys. Been watching videos. MJ doesn't post to Sydney OZ. On a side-note I'm surprised there are no twin blade safety razors around. The cartridge market is ginormous. To a Cartier like me it seems a big niche in the shaving market that can be cashed in on.

Second week of shaves with the Maxwell June finished and the razor performed very well for me until I switched to a Nacet blade. So, I had great shaves with the supplied Astra, a Med Prep, and a King C. Gillette- the best of the lot so far. I'll continue to use the MJ most days for another few weeks and try it with some different blades- lined up are- Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, and some others that I'll dig up out of my blade box. I'll also retry a Nacet. We all know the YMMV with blades, but it is possible a pattern will emerge for me as to what type of blade seem to work best in the holder. That's what I'll be looking for as this experiment continues.

As to the shaves with the Nacet, they were not nearly as good as the others, the first shave was rough from the first stroke and ended up poor. The second was marginally better. Of course, it could be a bad blade, or something in my loading, as it is finicky- although it sure looked okay.

More next weekend, assuming I remember- LOL. Be well, shave well, and be kind to others.

Second week of shaves with the Maxwell June finished and the razor performed very well for me until I switched to a Nacet blade. So, I had great shaves with the supplied Astra, a Med Prep, and a King C. Gillette- the best of the lot so far. I'll continue to use the MJ most days for another few weeks and try it with some different blades- lined up are- Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, and some others that I'll dig up out of my blade box. I'll also retry a Nacet. We all know the YMMV with blades, but it is possible a pattern will emerge for me as to what type of blade seem to work best in the holder. That's what I'll be looking for as this experiment continues.

As to the shaves with the Nacet, they were not nearly as good as the others, the first shave was rough from the first stroke and ended up poor. The second was marginally better. Of course, it could be a bad blade, or something in my loading, as it is finicky- although it sure looked okay.

More next weekend, assuming I remember- LOL. Be well, shave well, and be kind to others.
Nacet was the first blade that I used in the MJ and so far it was the best but we are talking razor blades so YMMV applies here.

Nacet was the first blade that I used in the MJ and so far it was the best but we are talking razor blades so YMMV applies here.
Thanks for your post. I think it was either a bad blade, or somehow perhaps it loaded wrong. Today I tried a Lord Platinum and it seemed smoother than the Nacet, which just seems off from my experience. So, tomorrow I'll try a fresh Nacet from a different tuck. I just got the 100 Nacet, off AMZN, so I'm hoping it's not a bad batch. Perhaps, they're not right? Do they counterfeit these blades? We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh, in my earlier post, I forgot to list a 7 O'clock Blue, which I also used that was just fine.

So far, I've tried: Astra SP, 7 O'clock Blue, KCG, Med Prep, and now a Lord Platinum; all were just fine. I only had an issue with the one Nacet from the new batch.

I don't have an MJ, but the Leaf provides an excellent head shave as manueverability is not such an issue. Blade loading the Leaf is pretty straight forward as you just snap the blade in half (while it is still in its wrapper!), place the half blades in, and the blade(s) are held securely. There are a number of half blade brands available if you don't wish to snap a full DE, although snapping the blades seem perfectly safe. Also the Leaf does not clog like a cartridge razor. I have lately been using a Henson Alu13 Mild for head shaving. It's a regular DE but provides a very safe, comfortable, and acceptably close shave (DFS) with very little chance to draw blood. I'm actually thinking of selling my Leaf because I have been using the Henson over the Leaf exclusively since I tried the Henson. Anyway the Leaf does provide an excellent head shave although I cannot compare it the the MJ as I have not tried it.

eric

Thanks for your post. I think it was either a bad blade, or somehow perhaps it loaded wrong. Today I tried a Lord Platinum and it seemed smoother than the Nacet, which just seems off from my experience. So, tomorrow I'll try a fresh Nacet from a different tuck. I just got the 100 Nacet, off AMZN, so I'm hoping it's not a bad batch. Perhaps, they're not right? Do they counterfeit these blades? We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh, in my earlier post, I forgot to list a 7 O'clock Blue, which I also used that was just fine.

So far, I've tried: Astra SP, 7 O'clock Blue, KCG, Med Prep, and now a Lord Platinum; all were just fine. I only had an issue with the one Nacet from the new batch.
The Nacet that I used was from a 100 pack that I ordered off of Amazon at the same time I ordered the MJ razor and they shave like other Nacets that I have used. Mine had a lot of Arabic writing on them. I don’t think that they are counterfeit blades. In general I find that the super sharp blades like Nacet, Feathers and Bics to be less comfortable than medium sharp blades like Lord Platinums. The Nacet did seem to do a better of cutting my beard than the Wizamet, Personna Reds and Lord Platinum when used in the MJ razor. That is just my perception and it could change with more shaves using the MJ razor.

My Maxwell June third weekly update: I've continued using the MJ for almost all of the week and as of last week my blade results were- "So far, I've tried: Astra SP, 7 O'clock Blue, KCG, Med Prep, and now a Lord Platinum; all were just fine. I only had an issue with the one Nacet from the new batch." I tried a second Nacet and it was much better.

So, this week I tried a few more blades and had some interesting results- a Wizamet SI for three shaves that were all quite nice, a Super Max Super Platinum once and it was really rough, and a Feather Hi Stainless for two shaves that were really close but yielded a few weepers and a bit of irritation.

I'm slowly, maybe because I'm just slow, coming to the conclusion that very sharp DE blades may not be the best choice for this razor, as it did really well with blades we generally think of as sort of mid-sharp, as opposed to those that are super sharp like Feather. Maybe I should try the dreaded Derby at some point.

Otherwise, the only thing I have to add this week is that it's possible that the loading process for this razor may be affected by any soap or even a bit of glue residue left inside the razor. I run the razor under water to clean, like all my DE razors, but I'll be extremely careful to make sure this week that the razor is truly cleaned really well, before changing blades.

There will be another update next weekend. But, I'm missing my AC razors and will probably switch back at some point relatively soon.

Cheers, and shave well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My Maxwell June third weekly update: I've continued using the MJ for almost all of the week and as of last week my blade results were- "So far, I've tried: Astra SP, 7 O'clock Blue, KCG, Med Prep, and now a Lord Platinum; all were just fine. I only had an issue with the one Nacet from the new batch." I tried a second Nacet and it was much better.

So, this week I tried a few more blades and had some interesting results- a Wizamet SI for three shaves that were all quite nice, a Super Max Super Platinum once and it was really rough, and a Feather Hi Stainless for two shaves that were really close but yielded a few weepers and a bit of irritation.

I'm slowly, maybe because I'm just slow, coming to the conclusion that very sharp DE blades may not be the best choice for this razor, as it did really well with blades we generally think of as sort of mid-sharp, as opposed to those that are super sharp like Feather. Maybe I should try the dreaded Derby at some point.

Otherwise, the only thing I have to add this week is that it's possible that the loading process for this razor may be affected by any soap or even a bit of glue residue left inside the razor. I run the razor under water to clean, like all my DE razors, but I'll be extremely careful to make sure this week that the razor is truly cleaned really well, before changing blades.

There will be another update next weekend. But, I'm missing my AC razors and will probably switch back at some point relatively soon.

Cheers, and shave well.
I'm in agreement in that I believe cleaning this razor thoroughly after taking the old blade out is best practice.

Cheers, and shave well.
I agree

Cheers, and shave well.
RenoRichard, thank you for the thorough updates over the last several weeks. I too am using the Maxwell June and I am curious if your razor's head front (removable piece) is firmly locked into place, or if it can slide out fairly easily? In my experience, it depends on the blade. The razor head front will be firmly in place with some blades (Personna Lab Blue) and easily slip out with other blades. I have never had the razor head slip out of place while shaving. Just wondering how firmly seated the head front is with your razor?

Top Bottom