What's new

Maxwell June Razor. Anyone try this razor yet?

I don’t love the looks of it but I’m intrigued. Kind of hope it isn’t that good, though, as I would fear being put off all my DE razors.

Did you get the longer handle version or the short handle version? The MJ does shave differently, at least that is my impression. For me, the correct angle is with the handle sticking out much further from the shave plane than I normally use. I also found that using "some" pressure also helped. You should see some improvement after using the razor several days in a row. At least that was my experience.
Long handle for me. My first time loading a blade was bade, the second was perfect. I imagine tomorrow's shave should be a huge improvement over today

I received my June razor today. I've already loaded it up for tomorrow's shave. Took me 3 tries to get the blade insertion correct. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but with the first couple of tries, the metal insert was loose after putting in the blade and I could just pull it right out along with half the blade. 3rd time worked better and I believe everything is seated correctly.

I will report back after my shave.

I received my June razor today. I've already loaded it up for tomorrow's shave. Took me 3 tries to get the blade insertion correct. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but with the first couple of tries, the metal insert was loose after putting in the blade and I could just pull it right out along with half the blade. 3rd time worked better and I believe everything is seated correctly.

It took me watching the video about 4 times, trying it, watching the video another two times and trying it again. Seated perfectly though the last time.

Right off the bat, I'd have to say this was very similar to my experience with a Trac II, I mean it reminded me of shaving with a Trac II. I have the long handle silver aluminum version.

I used Wilkinson Sword soap and my Vulfix boar/badger mix. Made the lather thick for the first pass and slathered it on.

I got a good angle just by looking at the projection of the blade edges in relationship to the slope on the razor head.
As this is supposed to be the gateway for cart shavers, I used it like a cart, and like someone who you imagine uses a cart for every shave, a lot quicker than I normally shave and with the grain using pressure.
Right under the nose area and at the top of the bottom lip has always been a problem area for me when using carts, and this was no different. It is difficult to judge exactly where the blades are when looking at the back end of the razor in the mirror, so there is a need to do a sort of with the grain buffing until I get close to the top edge of the lower lip and as close as I can under the nose.

Rinsing of the blade was accomplished easily in a sink full of water with swishing, and I had no issues with whiskers or soap jamming between the blades at all.

After the first pass, I rinsed and checked the shave, and to be honest, unless I felt my face looking for the stubble it wasn't visible and I would call it a socially acceptable shave. I think that many people could stop right there and be happy with it.

I watered down the lather to a very thin pathetic mix for the second pass to see how it would do with inadequate lather, and it was just fine. Still had good glide in my across the grain/against the grain combo pass.
No nicks, no cuts, no weepers and though I could still feel some minor stubble after the shave, particularly on my neck where my hair grows in a circular kind of direction, it was overall a fine shave and I could go to any social gathering and not feel conscious about the quality of the shave I got.

I used Clubman aftershave, as Clubman always tells me when I've been ungentle with my face.
Although I did get the feedback from the aftershave, it was not in the least uncomfortable, and not far from the feeling I get when I use a DE regularly.

I think as everyone else has stated, quality of shave is likely to improve as you get the feel for this razor over several shaves, and get some muscle memory of where the edge of the blades are in relation to the head.

I'm quite satisfied with todays shave and the quality of the razor, and I think that a guy who is used to carts could use this with no issues whatsoever right out of the gate.
Great review! When I started this thread I almost opened it in the modern shaving systems section. I think those that frequent that section would be interested in this razor. It does use a DE blade though so that is why I started my thread in the DE Safety razor section.

Shave #2 using the same Parker Premium blade, Vitos shave soap with a Shavemac D01 silvertip brush followed with a splash of 1/2 Jeris Osage and 1/2 Pinaud Eau de Portugal (Portuguese Freeze). Much better today, I think I have the angle down with the handle almost pointing directly at my face and head. Today's result was a DFS with lots of audible feedback throughout. It's very easy on the adam's apple, which is nice. I don't think it will ever replace my love for the DE, but it is a fine razor and leaps and bound above its nearest cartridge competitor. In fact, I could see my wife using this (she's using a Mach 3 right now) except I'd be the one to change blades for her (well, I am with the cartridge too, so no big difference).

I had my first shave with the June razor this morning and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the results. As I stated yesterday, it took me 3 tries to get the blade loaded where everything was seated tight so hopefully I can do it again properly from here on out. The blade loading may be my only real gripe....having to use extra tools is a pain....and you're screwed if you loose a piece.

I brought out some of my best stuff today in hopes of giving the razor every opportunity to provide good results. I used my PAA Diver Down soap, PAA Amber Aerolite brush, the provided Astra SP blade and PAA Diver Down aftershave to finish everything off.

The first thing I noticed (besides the light weight of the razor) is that the angle of attach is much different than my DE razors. More shallow, but not as shallow as an injector. I had some trouble keeping the right angle as I tend to naturally go steep, but the audible feedback let me know when I had it right. This razor makes a lot of noise...maybe the aluminum, maybe some blade chatter, whatever it is, it helps let me know it's cutting. I also believe I used some added pressure to help things along which I don't normally do, but I had no issues with razor burn or irritation.

I did my normal 3 pass shave with touch ups. This thing shaved really well (when I had the angle correct). My cheeks are BBS and my neck is close, but have to go with DFS here. I haven't used a cartridge style razor in many years and I know this is the target market for the June. However, if I did use a cart, I would switch to this razor immediately if I didn't want to go full DE. My face feels nice and smooth with absolutely no irritation. I know this won't be replacing my DE's but it will be a fun razor to throw into the mix on occasion. Looking forward to a few more "get to know me" shaves.

IMG_5649.jpg

Back when I started shaving, you had to wait for Grog to return from the Mastodon hunt and ask him to knapp off a piece of flint to scrape across your face. Since that time there have been roughly 4000 different devices for ways to scrape sharp metal across your face. I have used most of these and will gladly spend the kids inheritance for some new device or innovation. Over the years I blindly followed the Gillette Marketing Depart; abandoning my DE for TracMatic, Trac II. Mach III, and so forth. Only to return to the DE and then off to explore all the variations of DE, Future, Progess, etc. Each time hoping for the magic device that would remove whiskers with little or no effort on my part. Hope springs eternal. So now comes the Maxwell June. I wanted to give this a good try so I went with Irisch Moos and Badger&Blade brush. I decided to shave the way I used to do with cartridge blades. That is often going over an area several times with out re-lathering. That was a mistake. I got a DFS but used a good amount of styptic pencil in the post shave. The razor itself is fine. The correct angle seemed easy to find and there is good feedback when you have the right angle, both from feel and sound. It isn't as forgiving as a 5 blade cartridge but is easier than a DE to operate. I used Astra blades that came with it. I want to try my normal Persona Reds and a correct shave re-lather between passes). This isn't a magic bullet product but it works fine and certainly both cheaper and better for the environment than cartridges. I think it definitely fills that Gateway for someone looking to move from cartridges to DE.

Back when I started shaving, you had to wait for Grog to return from the Mastodon hunt and ask him to knapp off a piece of flint to scrape across your face. Since that time there have been roughly 4000 different devices for ways to scrape sharp metal across your face. I have used most of these and will gladly spend the kids inheritance for some new device or innovation. Over the years I blindly followed the Gillette Marketing Depart; abandoning my DE for TracMatic, Trac II. Mach III, and so forth. Only to return to the DE and then off to explore all the variations of DE, Future, Progess, etc. Each time hoping for the magic device that would remove whiskers with little or no effort on my part. Hope springs eternal. So now comes the Maxwell June. I wanted to give this a good try so I went with Irisch Moos and Badger&Blade brush. I decided to shave the way I used to do with cartridge blades. That is often going over an area several times with out re-lathering. That was a mistake. I got a DFS but used a good amount of styptic pencil in the post shave. The razor itself is fine. The correct angle seemed easy to find and there is good feedback when you have the right angle, both from feel and sound. It isn't as forgiving as a 5 blade cartridge but is easier than a DE to operate. I used Astra blades that came with it. I want to try my normal Persona Reds and a correct shave re-lather between passes). This isn't a magic bullet product but it works fine and certainly both cheaper and better for the environment than cartridges. I think it definitely fills that Gateway for someone looking to move from cartridges to DE.
Due to the magic of the lubrication strip, I also used to go over the same areas without re-lathering when I used a cartridge razor. If Maxwell June could invent an environmentally friendly replaceable lubrication strip and make the head pivot then this razor would really appeal to the cartridge razor crowd. I haven't shaved yet as my wife is sleeping in but I am also thinking of using a Personna Red in the MJ today. I really love those blades. Thanks for your review!

I personally think they have confidence, but I also think that because they are new they may be chasing perfection in a desire to make a great impression.
By accounts here, what they considered "flawed" was actually undetectable by the end user.
To paraphrase Voltaire - Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Also, as a start-up, how many razors could they pay for up front before the sales came in?

I don’t love the looks of it but I’m intrigued. Kind of hope it isn’t that good, though, as I would fear being put off all my DE razors.
I have used the razor several times and I like it. Like other's have said, it isn't going to replace my DE razor's but it will stay in my rotation. I enjoy shaving with a variety of razors too much. I seem to get bored with using the same razor, soap, brush, blades etc. Maybe it isn't boredom, but just a desire to alter my shaving experience and get as much pleasure as I possibly can from my shaves.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm going to a birthday/house warming party today and used this razor again.
I really like it. Absolutely no issues with clogging between blades. I went at it pretty heavily with buffing and repeated strokes and it's probably more forgiving of errors than a regular cart razor is. "it's so easy even a caveman could do it" comes to mind.
While I am not BBS, it was a great shave (I don't chase BBS anyway). You'd have to really try to mess up to get a bad shave with it.
This is absolutely a keeper for me.

I just used the razor with a Personna Red and it was a really good shave. I did chase BBS and I achieved it at the cost of some feedback with my alum and aftershave. It does seem to take more strokes for me to obtain a BBS finish than it does with some of my other razors like the Wolfman and the Winning razor. I never really tried to get a BBS finish back in my cartridge razor days though so comparatively the MJ razor shaves as well as my old Schick Hydro. The Personna Israeli Red worked really well today for a very comfortable shave. It shaved as well as the Nacet that I used first. I didn't care for the Feather blade but it isn't a favorite anyway. I think that I have answered my question "if I dislike a blade in a DE will I dislike it twice as much in this razor?" I am going to say that yes, if you dislike a blade it is twice as bad in this razor. YMMV.

Last edited:
Maxwell June (MJ) first shave report: two-pass shave, 9+/10, DFS, no issues whatsoever- surprisingly pleasant to use; very fast, forgiving, efficient enough, and close enough for a really fine shave.

After reading this thread I ordered a MJ short-handle aluminum version while I was traveling and it was waiting for me on my return to Reno Monday night. I opened it up earlier this morning, watched the video, loaded it with the provided Astra blade, and gave it a go. It was as @South Dakota Guy and @luvmysuper have reported, a surprisingly nice and enjoyable shave.

I used some RR soap, a Simpson Berkeley 46 in Best, and a healthy splash of Master Smokey Oud to finish. I didn't push the shave to BBS, but could have with another pass and some added clean up. Suffice it to say the MJ razor exceeded my expectations; I'm eager to try it with a sharper blade than the included Astra.

The razor is now in the shower for the wife to try later. I'm hoping it's a hit with her, as she uses those awful plastic multi-blade things. Of course, if she likes it, I'll have to load it for her and I'll lose it, but such is life.

The pros: truly innovative and ingenious; uses DE blades with the vast selection available and low prices; is far more environmentally friendly than cartridge razors; is super easy to use; didn't clog up; and the razor delivered for me a better than cartridge experience tolerant of and requiring more pressure than a standard DE. Last week I shaved with a Gillette ATRA that was my Dad's and got an okay shave, but the MJ shave was markedly better, and far more fun. I did use some real software, rather than canned goo. Maybe the MJ was so easy for me, as I've been shaving almost exclusively with the Occam's Razor floating AC blade razor for many months now. That razor also tolerates more pressure, and with the Feather AC Pro blade delivers a very close and totally satisfying shave for me.

The cons: the MJ is fiddly to load- I managed it on the first try after watching the video some, but it is not intuitive like most DE razors and the loading required a far firmer press than I expected to get the blade to snap into the head; also I was initially confused as to what the correct orientation for the piece that gets inserted was, as most here I'm pretty familiar with razors; it's sort of on the pricy side- $100 seems a bit high to me for a CNC aluminum razor; and to nitpick- the loading mechanism is 3D printed plastic, so environmentally it is not plastic free, and there was too much cardboard packaging- a much bigger box than needed, and although nice that it is standard corrugated with some twine, it could be more compact. But then again, my first Tradere razors were shipped in plastic mini-pistol cases :001_rolle . I'm sure if the razor succeeds they'll refine their packaging as time goes on.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the MJ- innovative, clever, and it shaved well. I do think this razor might appeal the most to folks using cartridges that want to cut their environmental footprint and operating costs, but being so much more fun than I expected, I can readily see many DE users giving it a go for a change of pace. After all, almost all of us have enough blades hanging about.

PXL_20210929_152057323.jpg

Maxwell June (MJ) first shave report: two-pass shave, 9+/10, DFS, no issues whatsoever- surprisingly pleasant to use; very fast, forgiving, efficient enough, and close enough for a really fine shave.

After reading this thread I ordered a MJ short-handle aluminum version while I was traveling and it was waiting for me on my return to Reno Monday night. I opened it up earlier this morning, watched the video, loaded it with the provided Astra blade, and gave it a go. It was as @South Dakota Guy and @luvmysuper have reported, a surprisingly nice and enjoyable shave.

I used some RR soap, a Simpson Berkeley 46 in Best, and a healthy splash of Master Smokey Oud to finish. I didn't push the shave to BBS, but could have with another pass and some added clean up. Suffice it to say the MJ razor exceeded my expectations; I'm eager to try it with a sharper blade than the included Astra.

The razor is now in the shower for the wife to try later. I'm hoping it's a hit with her, as she uses those awful plastic multi-blade things. Of course, if she likes it, I'll have to load it for her and I'll lose it, but such is life.

The pros: truly innovative and ingenious; uses DE blades with the vast selection available and low prices; is far more environmentally friendly than cartridge razors; is super easy to use; didn't clog up; and the razor delivered for me a better than cartridge experience tolerant of and requiring more pressure than a standard DE. Last week I shaved with a Gillette ATRA that was my Dad's and got an okay shave, but the MJ shave was markedly better, and far more fun. I did use some real software, rather than canned goo. Maybe the MJ was so easy for me, as I've been shaving almost exclusively with the Occam's Razor floating AC blade razor for many months now. That razor also tolerates more pressure, and with the Feather AC Pro blade delivers a very close and totally satisfying shave for me.

The cons: the MJ is fiddly to load- I managed it on the first try after watching the video some, but it is not intuitive like most DE razors and the loading required a far firmer press than I expected to get the blade to snap into the head; also I was initially confused as to what the correct orientation for the piece that gets inserted was, as most here I'm pretty familiar with razors; it's sort of on the pricy side- $100 seems a bit high to me for a CNC aluminum razor; and to nitpick- the loading mechanism is 3D printed plastic, so environmentally it is not plastic free, and there was too much cardboard packaging- a much bigger box than needed, and although nice that it is standard corrugated with some twine, it could be more compact. But then again, my first Tradere razors were shipped in plastic mini-pistol cases :001_rolle . I'm sure if the razor succeeds they'll refine their packaging as time goes on.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the MJ- innovative, clever, and it shaved well. I do think this razor might appeal the most to folks using cartridges that want to cut their environmental footprint and operating costs, but being so much more fun than I expected, I can readily see many DE users giving it a go for a change of pace. After all, almost all of us have enough blades hanging about.

View attachment 1336611
Excellent review! It is a fun razor and nice for a change of pace if you are a DE razor shaver already. There seems to be a consensus that this razor is good but it's not going to make most of us dump our DE razors. I used to try and help some newbies in that section of the forum. There were some that were just never going to be successful with a DE. I might recommend this razor to those people who cannot master the DE razor.

I had a similar experience and reached out to Maxwell June. According to Rob, there is some break-in period and he said the wax dots on the blade help secure it into the razor's head. Also, soap build-up will help secure it. I did not have any issues of the blade falling out of the head during shaving, but I did notice the blade was somewhat loose after loading. I have shaved 4 times with it, and each shave has been very good. Yesterday, I cleaned the head with warm water and an old, soft toothbrush, which removed the build-up and made the razor look as good as it did out of the box. When I loaded a new blade, it was loose. I suppose the take away is to not thoroughly clean it. I am curious if MJ will develop a version 2 with a pivoting head.

I had a similar experience and reached out to Maxwell June. According to Rob, there is some break-in period and he said the wax dots on the blade help secure it into the razor's head. Also, soap build-up will help secure it. I did not have any issues of the blade falling out of the head during shaving, but I did notice the blade was somewhat loose after loading. I have shaved 4 times with it, and each shave has been very good. Yesterday, I cleaned the head with warm water and an old, soft toothbrush, which removed the build-up and made the razor look as good as it did out of the box. When I loaded a new blade, it was loose. I suppose the take away is to not thoroughly clean it. I am curious if MJ will develop a version 2 with a pivoting head.
I don’t think the blades should be loose. My razor has not exhibited that behavior. If you continue to experience loose blades you should insist that MJ make it right. Are you holding the top piece of the press over the middle piece of the press when you remove the middle piece after seating the blade? The purpose of the very top piece is to keep the guard/insert seated into the razor base when you remove the middle section of the press. Make sure to keep a good pressure on the top piece of the press when removing the middle piece.

Last edited:
Top Bottom