What's new

Maxwell June Razor. Anyone try this razor yet?

I personally think they have confidence, but I also think that because they are new they may be chasing perfection in a desire to make a great impression.
By accounts here, what they considered "flawed" was actually undetectable by the end user.
To paraphrase Voltaire - Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
Hopefully

Third Shave

Razor Maxwell June
Blade Gillette Nacet
Brush Omega synthetic
Soap Wickham 1912
AS Captain's Choice Venture

Rating 10/10 3 Passes BBS

This was my last shave in the hotel, tomorrow I will be at home. This shave was very similar to yesterday's shave. The 45 degree shave angle (angle of handle to face) came more naturally to me today, I must be adapting. However this time I took more pains to make sure that my lather wasn't too thick for all passes. The sink water pressure was still anemic. They probably have some kind of flow regulator to conserve water. I didn't have any difficulty rinsing out the lather/stubble trapped between the two blades. Three pass shave again, my usual XTG, XTG the other direction and then ATG. The result was another BBS shave with no irritation and very little aftershave feedback. I think that I will use my Wolfman razor tomorrow and some of my other razors for a bit. I want to stay proficient with my other razors and at some point the other folks that ordered these razors will be reporting their experiences with the Maxwell June. I am anxious to compare notes. When I do shave with this razor again I will try a different blade, maybe a Wizamet or Personna Red or Feather or Kai or who knows? That is one thing I love about this razor is that there are so many blade choices. No other blade format razor has as many choices for blades as DE razors nor are the blades as inexpensive as the DE blades.

I got the email as well stating they hope to have product by Sept 17. We'll see....looking forward to using it.

Thanks for the reviews....sounds like a good performer.
Yes, I am in the Sept 17 promised date as well. When I tried to order on line the form would not take my zipcode. I emailed Rob and told him about the problem. It seemed unique to me for some reason. Anyway I completed the order by phone and had a good conversation with Rob. They really do seem to be obsessed with quality control and doing the right thing. He sort of implied that they were surprised by the number of DE people who were interested. He more or less thought the market would be cartridge shavers. Now I just have to figure out how to sneak it into the house......

Yes, I am in the Sept 17 promised date as well. When I tried to order on line the form would not take my zipcode. I emailed Rob and told him about the problem. It seemed unique to me for some reason. Anyway I completed the order by phone and had a good conversation with Rob. They really do seem to be obsessed with quality control and doing the right thing. He sort of implied that they were surprised by the number of DE people who were interested. He more or less thought the market would be cartridge shavers. Now I just have to figure out how to sneak it into the house......

Lol.....Rob doesn't know this crowd very well then.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Now I just have to figure out how to sneak it into the house......

warpath.jpg

Looks like I'll be getting my razor soon. Received an email processing my order. They must have gotten some inventory in on 9/17. Looking forward to giving this one a try.
I hope that you get it soon! I took last week off with the MJ razor. Today I decided to load a fresh Feather blade into it for tomorrow. When I went to remove the old blade both halves of the blade they both stuck to the razor because of dried lather that didn’t rinse out. It wasn’t too difficult to knock them out but I made a mental note to remove the blade(s) next time after a shave when I am done with the blade.

I hope that you get it soon! I took last week off with the MJ razor. Today I decided to load a fresh Feather blade into it for tomorrow. When I went to remove the old blade both halves of the blade they both stuck to the razor because of dried lather that didn’t rinse out. It wasn’t too difficult to knock them out but I made a mental note to remove the blade(s) next time after a shave when I am done with the blade.

Thanks for the tip.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just fetched mine from the mailbox. Pretty well packaged and as soon as the razor and various pieces were removed, the entire box and packing went right into the recycle bin.
The razor itself looks fine and they did as good a job on 3D printing the blade changer assembly as could be expected.
Loading the blade was a snap (literally) and everything is nice, aligned and even on the first go. Loading a blade is pretty easy and much less fumbly / fiddly than even I expected, and I didn't expect much. Loading is very simple and straight forward and except for the small blade insert, almost intuitively self explanatory. Once you understand the blade insert has to go into the razor first before even starting to load a blade, it all is just very easy and one, two three.
I got word from the USPS dashboard Saturday that delivery was expected today, so I didn't shave this morning.
I want to give it an honest workout.
A vintage Gillette Spoiler is loaded and ready for tomorrow mornings shave.

Finally! I am really pleased to see folks receiving their razors. I used the razor again today with a Feather blade this time. It felt a little uncomfortable compared to my shaves with a Nacet. TBH I have never cared for Feather blades in any of my razors. I am heading out of town tomorrow so I most likely will take a different razor with me. I will probably try one of my two favorite blades next, the Wizamet or the Personna Red after I return home.

Shave #1 with Maxwell June. Set up was a Parker Premium blade (new), B&M Oceana soap and splash, Oumo gel tip brush. I mentioned that yesterday's shave was so good I wasn't sure I'd be able to give it a fair shake today. But there was plenty of stubble this morning. I haven't shaved with a cartridge at least for a year, and can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used one in the past decade. That said, I really liked the long handle. It allows me to use a bit of leverage needed for cartridge shaving. I started out with the traditional DE glide which I found out wasn't doing anything but skipping over my skin. Just a slight angle down between my fingers on the ribbed end of the handle and I found a very good angle and pressure. The razor is very light and easy to maneuver. However, as I'm not used to the cartridge shave, the were parts on my noggin that still feel a bit stubbly. I imagine after a couple more days use I will have it dialed in. I'm not saying today's shave wasn't good, it was very good, perfectly acceptable for work and social interactions, just not yet what I'm used to with a DE and not yet what @South Dakota Guy is reporting.

Shave #1 with Maxwell June. Set up was a Parker Premium blade (new), B&M Oceana soap and splash, Oumo gel tip brush. I mentioned that yesterday's shave was so good I wasn't sure I'd be able to give it a fair shake today. But there was plenty of stubble this morning. I haven't shaved with a cartridge at least for a year, and can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used one in the past decade. That said, I really liked the long handle. It allows me to use a bit of leverage needed for cartridge shaving. I started out with the traditional DE glide which I found out wasn't doing anything but skipping over my skin. Just a slight angle down between my fingers on the ribbed end of the handle and I found a very good angle and pressure. The razor is very light and easy to maneuver. However, as I'm not used to the cartridge shave, the were parts on my noggin that still feel a bit stubbly. I imagine after a couple more days use I will have it dialed in. I'm not saying today's shave wasn't good, it was very good, perfectly acceptable for work and social interactions, just not yet what I'm used to with a DE and not yet what @South Dakota Guy is reporting.
Did you get the longer handle version or the short handle version? The MJ does shave differently, at least that is my impression. For me, the correct angle is with the handle sticking out much further from the shave plane than I normally use. I also found that using "some" pressure also helped. You should see some improvement after using the razor several days in a row. At least that was my experience.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Right off the bat, I'd have to say this was very similar to my experience with a Trac II, I mean it reminded me of shaving with a Trac II. I have the long handle silver aluminum version.

I used Wilkinson Sword soap and my Vulfix boar/badger mix. Made the lather thick for the first pass and slathered it on.

I got a good angle just by looking at the projection of the blade edges in relationship to the slope on the razor head.
As this is supposed to be the gateway for cart shavers, I used it like a cart, and like someone who you imagine uses a cart for every shave, a lot quicker than I normally shave and with the grain using pressure.
Right under the nose area and at the top of the bottom lip has always been a problem area for me when using carts, and this was no different. It is difficult to judge exactly where the blades are when looking at the back end of the razor in the mirror, so there is a need to do a sort of with the grain buffing until I get close to the top edge of the lower lip and as close as I can under the nose.

Rinsing of the blade was accomplished easily in a sink full of water with swishing, and I had no issues with whiskers or soap jamming between the blades at all.

After the first pass, I rinsed and checked the shave, and to be honest, unless I felt my face looking for the stubble it wasn't visible and I would call it a socially acceptable shave. I think that many people could stop right there and be happy with it.

I watered down the lather to a very thin pathetic mix for the second pass to see how it would do with inadequate lather, and it was just fine. Still had good glide in my across the grain/against the grain combo pass.
No nicks, no cuts, no weepers and though I could still feel some minor stubble after the shave, particularly on my neck where my hair grows in a circular kind of direction, it was overall a fine shave and I could go to any social gathering and not feel conscious about the quality of the shave I got.

I used Clubman aftershave, as Clubman always tells me when I've been ungentle with my face.
Although I did get the feedback from the aftershave, it was not in the least uncomfortable, and not far from the feeling I get when I use a DE regularly.

I think as everyone else has stated, quality of shave is likely to improve as you get the feel for this razor over several shaves, and get some muscle memory of where the edge of the blades are in relation to the head.

I'm quite satisfied with todays shave and the quality of the razor, and I think that a guy who is used to carts could use this with no issues whatsoever right out of the gate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom