What's new

Maxwell House: Original Roast

I drink instant coffee at home, my preferred brand is Trader Joe's Columbian ... but last month, when I couldn't get any more TJ's, I bought some Maxwell House, thinking that a classic brand like that ought to be pretty decent.

It wasn't ... I couldn't wait to finish it.

This month, I found that ALDI's supermarket (the parent company of TJ's) has an instant coffee called Beaumont. Its half the price of TJ's, and it tastes the same, so it looks like I'll be drinking that from now on.

BTW, do you know who coined the phrase "Good to the Last Drop?"

My wife is a Maxwell House loyalist and has been for years. Rare is the moment when our pantry has no MH. Although I think it is OK, I don't drink it unless my own stash becomes depleted.

I don't think I have ever had Maxwell House. I have a big thing of Folgers in the fridge. I used to think that stuff was good (but I was also using sugar based French Vanilla Coffee Mate). Then I switched to the Sugar-free and Folgers wasn't doing it. So I tried the various brands of bagged French Vanilla coffees. Now Folgers regular tastes like crap to me. I've been keeping that big massive thing in my fridge as a backup, anybody know how long they'll keep?

We are a Folgers household. My wife grew up with Maxwell House. She didn't think she even liked coffee until she met me and had something else. On holidays when all of her family is together, we have two pots of coffee going. Some of the family won't drink anything except for Maxwell House...the rest can't stand it and drinks Folgers.

I have to admit that I love it!

A couple of years ago I went to a little hole in the wall breakfast place and the coffee was just about the best I'd ever had. I asked what it was and the waitress said, "Maxwell House Original". I was like "What?!?!?!"

I'm a bit of a coffee snob, you see, so I was completely floored.

I have found just the right ratio of coffee to water and it is just great.

One trick I've found that works for me is to buy the small cans rather than the large ones. Yes, it is a little more expensive that way but you use the coffee faster and it stays fresher and thus the brewed product is better.

Great thread! :thumbup1:

-Greg

Last edited:
We are a Folgers household. My wife grew up with Maxwell House. She didn't think she even liked coffee until she met me and had something else. On holidays when all of her family is together, we have two pots of coffee going. Some of the family won't drink anything except for Maxwell House...the rest can't stand it and drinks Folgers.

It's like the Hatfield and McCoys, but for coffee.

/Folgers at work because the heathens don't understand
//Peets or Starbucks whole bean at home because it's what SWMBO will agree to

I don't think today's Maxwell House coffee compares to the old MH. I think it's the same with many coffees. They all seem to have gotten weak and tasteless over the years. My wife and I drank only MH for more than 30 years but it got to the point where we didn't enjoy it anymore. My wife liked the Seattle's Best coffee in the cafeteria at her work, so we switched to Seattle's Best French Roast about 5 years ago.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I grew up on Maxwell House: Original Roast coffee and the Army has for many years had MH coffee on it's subsistence catalog (soldiers love 'brand house hold name items' and MH is the Army's coffee of choice), for Dining Facility Managers to order from. For the Army, MH provides free 'point of sale' merchandising materials (banners [i.e., "Good to the last drop".] , table-tents and varoius other 'point of sale' stuff).

At home, the Mrs. and I like MH coffee when we run out of (or forget to reorder), Yauco Selecto Gourmet Coffee from Puerto Rico.
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
The problem is all the mass product roasters, because they use so much product are not concerned with quality. They go to the people that can supply them for the cheapest price. It's all downhill from there.

another case of ymmv....I can't stand MH or rather it hates me. It literally upsets my stomach every time I drink it. I simply can't drink it. I have tried it knowingly and 'blind'...same results. The odd thing is I have had some more or less rot gut coffee and it never bothers me like MH. So, for me...I'll have to pass.

Top Bottom