What's new

Max diameter in old Catalin/Bakelite handle?

Hello, came across what i think is an old simpson (based off image of where previous label was) and wanted to re-knot with a 22mm x 65mm TGN flattop badger knot. Thats the smallest flattop i could find.

Diagram is below showing measurements. Original knot is about 19/20mm. If i increaese hole to diameter of ~24mm and a depth of 21mm to accommodate knot that leaves me with about 4.5mm (at narrowest part) and 5.5mm (at widest) of material left.

Do you think that will make handle too fragile or prone to cracking?
380AF3D7-8BB5-4535-B7D6-7A0BA6877E13.png

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem to open the width as long as there is no outward evidence of fractures. I usually reknot old handles with larger knots. As far as a deeper hole is concerned it depends on if the handle is solid or hollow. If hollow, you may need to build up a new floor if you break through. Personally, I like lofty brushes so it isn't likely that I would want to drill deeper.

Awesome, thanks guys. I went ahead and drilled away over the weekend with a 3/4 forstner bit only for it to be too small. Ended up putting in a small section of dial rod and went with 7/8. Did go down to 21mm although i used some spacers to bring up loft to 48. Once it breaks in, I may move it down. The actual knot was closer to 20mm and Im glad it was. The flattop covers quit a bit of area.

On another note, i cant believe how hard the catalin was. Bits were sharp and i used water to keep dust down.What rpm you guys use on drill press-fast or slower? I was kind of in the middle. thanks!

Ill get some pics posted in a little.

Finished product. Polished it up with some Novus 2, then 1. Came with an injector so figured Id better shine that up too. Might of been the guy’s set up he used for decades.
55A72445-FD32-4FC5-B6D2-ACDEFFED3600.jpeg

Top Bottom