What's new

Maui Jim sunglasses

I am in the market for some new sunglasses. I have had a nice pair of Ray Ban's for the past 10-11 years or so. I've been looking around, but have to admit that I'm pretty ignorant of sunglasses. I like a pair of Maui Jim that I found at a local Sunglass Hut:

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/majimmasu1.html

Has anyone had any experience with these glasses?

I've got a pair of these and they are terrific shades.

proxy.php

Maui Jim's are great sunglasses if you're looking for polarized lenses. I used to work for sunglass hut and I cannot say enough good things about Revo sunglasses. In my opinion the best dollar for dollar sunglasses there are. And seeing as how you only have one pair of eyeballs, Maui Jim's or Revo would be a wise investment. Just my two cents :wink:

I can't recommend Maui Jim any longer... I bought their top of the line model a few years ago (the model in which you can bend the frames and such) and the coating started to seperate in the lenses... after only only a few months of VERY light use.

I called Maui Jim Customer Service on multiple occassions and they were quite rude, and basically told me I could pay to have it fixed.

For $400 sunglasses, that doesn't fly with me, and I'll never purchase another pair of Maui Jims.

YMMV, but heads up on their customer service/weak warranty... it should have been covered by the warranty, but they refused, without even seeing it, and admitting there was nothing I had done, wrong to them.

I have a pair of Maui Jim's and personally, I prefer my Oakleys.

I bought the MJs only because I was riding a Sport Bike at the time in addition to my Gold Wing and the Oakleys wouldn't fit inder a full face helmet.

Right now, the only time I wear the MJs are when I mow the lawn or something.

I have a pair of Maui Jim's and personally, I prefer my Oakleys.

I bought the MJs only because I was riding a Sport Bike at the time in addition to my Gold Wing and the Oakleys wouldn't fit inder a full face helmet.

Right now, the only time I wear the MJs are when I mow the lawn or something.

+1 for Oakley, there customer service is world renown no matter which model you buy. Over the years I've had a couple pairs of Oakley's, an older pair of Wiretap's and I currently have a pair of Juliet's that take a licking and just keep on ticking.

I had a pair of MJs a couple of years ago and they were ok. I passed them on to my son. My favorite sunglasses remain Persol. I have worn Persol for about ten years and they are great.

You might want to check out Costa Del Mar too. Theyre a little pricy, but have a lifetime warranty and are very well made and durable.

I bought my Maui Jims (same as pictured above but w/ rose tint), and I got a scratch on one of the lenses, actually, I had them resting on my tank, moved, and they dropped off the bike, and I stepped on them. (that was a bummer) I called them up expecting to pay whatever the cost was for a new lens, and when I mentioned that one of the silicone nose pieces felt loose, the manufacturer just said to "ship them over" and they replaced the lens for free and fixed the nose piece. They were a pleasure to do business with, and I always recommend them. Plus, they are super lightweight, strong, look great and all that. I use them for riding (motorcycles and snowboards). A little bit of air does kind of get in when going over 100 MPH on the bike, but at normal speeds, they were fine for me. In short, I use the heck out of them and couldn't be happier. For the record, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for anything that is so easily lost, or destroyed by your fault, but that is just me.

My experience with Maui Jims has been excellent. I bought a pair of Kahuna's about 8 years ago. After 6 or so years, the lenses had gotten scratched and I called and asked them what my options were. They said to send the sunglasses back to them and they would replace the lenes, the nose pieces and the temples for 80.00. Plus when they shipped them back, they sent a NEW case with it.

Another thing that impressed me was that the original lenses that came with the Kahuna's were copper polarized. After a few years of the, I realized I didn't like the copper lenses so I requested the smoke colored lenses when I sent them in and they replaced them with no questions or extra charges. The color of my frames didn't come with the smoke colored lenses so I was extremely happy. I essentially got a whole new pair of sunglasses for 80.00, the only thing not replaced was the frame that held the lenses but they said they were in perfect order.

I would recommend them highly. My wife has Costa del Mars and she is happy with them as well.

YMMV, but heads up on their customer service/weak warranty... it should have been covered by the warranty, but they refused, without even seeing it, and admitting there was nothing I had done, wrong to them.

I had the opposite experience. After quite awhile of daily wear, my first pair of Maui Jim's had a problem and one of the lenses fell out. The fall chipped the lens.

I contacted the company and they exchanged them for a brand new pair. No problem at all.

That's been a few years ago and I've worn Maui Jim's ever since with no further need for customer service.

Hmmm... Maui Jims. SWMBO has a pair that she likes, but seems to always wear a pair of titanium-framed Serengeti drivers.. AAMOF, I have a pair of X-large Serengeti drivers in the aviator frame (alas no longer made in this size) that I like for driving, etc..
I like the drivers lenses. :cool:

I've purchased Oakley's for many many years. Recently, I purchased a pair of Tifosi Optics for myself and for SWMBO. The price, quality and warranty are awesome. Check them out here.

Top Bottom