What's new

Matzah ball soup.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I love it. I went to my favorite deli today (Weinbergers in Grapevine) and they don't have it anymore. I guess that because of the lack of diversity down here Matzah ball isn't in big demand. So, who has a good Matzah ball soup recipe?

Ooooooh, now you're talking my language!

How could a deli named Weinberger's not have matzoh ball soup? I feel like I'm giving away missile secrets here, but here's one of my all-time favorite recipes, Chicken in the Pot with Matzoh Balls. The Supper of Jewish Champions!

Chicken in the Pot with Matzoh Balls
(Serves 6)

For the soup:
1 whole chicken (or assorted chicken parts), about 4½ pounds
1 yellow onion, small dice
2 large celery ribs, small dice
4 or 5 large carrots, peeled, cut into ¼-inch thick slices on the bias
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon brand chicken base

For the matzoh balls (makes 10 to 12):
1 cup matzoh meal
¼ cup vegetable, corn, or canola oil
¼ cup water. For lighter matzoh balls, use club soda or seltzer
4 eggs
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

8 oz. medium egg noodles
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

Cut the chicken into pieces (2 wings, separated at the joints; 2 legs; 2 thighs; 2 breasts, each cut in half) and remove all of the skin and visible surface fat. Rinse the pieces well, and place in large pot. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by about 2-inches, and bring to a boil.

While the water is heating, make the matzoh ball mixture. Beat the eggs, water, oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the matzoh meal all at once, and mix gently with a fork just until the ingredients are fully combined. Do not over mix or “beat” the batter briskly. This will ensure that the matzoh balls are light and fluffy. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and mixture is fairly firm.

As soon as the pot comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and pour off all the water and coagulated matter. Remove the chicken pieces and rinse the pot out very well. This is an important step in order to achieve a clear, fat-free broth.

Return the chicken to the pot and add the onion, celery, and carrots. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken and vegetables by about 3 or 4-inches, about 5 or 6 quarts. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir in the chicken base when the water is hot.

With wet hands, gently form the matzoh mixture into balls about the size of walnuts. Do not pack the mixture tightly. Add them to the simmering liquid one at a time. They should rise to the surface fairly quickly. Cover the pot and continue cooking at a gentle simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes. While the soup is cooking, skim off any fat or grease that comes to the surface and discard.

Add the noodles to the soup, and continue cooking with the pot covered about 10 or 12 minutes longer, until the noodles are cooked through.

To serve, put a piece or two of chicken, a generous helping of vegetables, noodles and two matzoh balls per guest in large warm bowls, and top with the hot broth. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

$2013-05-21-1.jpg

$2013-06-11-3.JPG

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

How could a deli named Weinberger's not have matzoh ball soup? I feel like I'm giving away missile secrets here, but here's one of my all-time favorite recipes, Chicken in the Pot with Matzoh Balls. The Supper of Jewish Champions!

(Serves 6)

For the soup:

1 cup matzoh meal
4 eggs
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

8 oz. medium egg noodles

Cut the chicken into pieces (2 wings, separated at the joints; 2 legs; 2 thighs; 2 breasts, each cut in half) and remove all of the skin and visible surface fat. Rinse the pieces well, and place in large pot. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by about 2-inches, and bring to a boil.

While the water is heating, make the matzoh ball mixture. Beat together the eggs, water, oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the matzoh meal all at once, and mix gently with a fork just until the ingredients are fully combined. Do not over mix or “beat” the batter briskly. This will ensure that the matzoh balls are light and fluffy. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and mixture is fairly firm.

As soon as the pot comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and pour off all the water and coagulated matter. Remove the chicken pieces and rinse the pot out very well. This is an important step in order to achieve a clear, fat-free broth.

Return the chicken to the pot and add the onion, celery, and carrots. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken and vegetables by about 3 or 4-inches, about 5 or 6 quarts. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir in the chicken base when the water is hot.

With wet hands, gently form the matzoh mixture into balls about the size of walnuts. Do not pack the mixture tightly. Add them to the simmering liquid one at a time. They should rise to the surface fairly quickly. Cover the pot and continue cooking at a gentle simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes. While the soup is cooking, skim off any fat or grease that comes to the surface and discard.

Add the noodles to the soup, and continue cooking with the pot covered about 10 or 12 minutes longer, until the noodles are cooked through.

To serve, put a piece or two of chicken, a generous helping of vegetables, noodles and two matzoh balls per guest in large warm bowls, and top with the hot broth. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

View attachment 403514

View attachment 403515
Thanks, Bill. They used to have it, but the Jewish population down here is pretty small. I haven't had good bagels and lox in years. I will try your recipe.

Seltzer??? That's brilliant. I'll have to try that trick. I use a Manischevitz mix and use an extra egg or two.

Mmmmmm. My wife makes Matzah Ball Soup VERY similar to Chef Bill's recipe. She uses chicken breast instead of wings.

Dang, I may have to hound her to make some tonight. We haven't had any since last October.

I haven't had good matzoh ball soup in decades. It used to be a fixture at the holiday tables when Bubby would prepare it, but its not something I would order at a restaurant, even if I could find a place that served it
I never cared for the broth, so I just ate the matzoh balls. Zadie only liked the broth, and left the matzoh balls. So we would trade.

I’m no cook. But I do know a few things about real Jewish food from the “old country.” Best matzo balls are made with schmaltz! Add extra in the center of the balls….

I haven't had good matzoh ball soup in decades. It used to be a fixture at the holiday tables when Bubby would prepare it, but its not something I would order at a restaurant, even if I could find a place that served it
I never cared for the broth, so I just ate the matzoh balls. Zadie only liked the broth, and left the matzoh balls. So we would trade.

One of my father's favorite dishes from his grandmother was matzoh balls with with tsimmes made from carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, prunes, honey and cinnamon. I used to make it for him at Passover. Very old school!

(Serves 6)

For the soup:

1 cup matzoh meal
4 eggs
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

8 oz. medium egg noodles

While the water is heating, make the matzoh ball mixture. Beat together the eggs, water, oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the matzoh meal all at once, and mix gently with a fork just until the ingredients are fully combined. Do not over mix or “beat” the batter briskly. This will ensure that the matzoh balls are light and fluffy. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and mixture is fairly firm.

View attachment 403514

View attachment 403515

Looks great. Similar to the recipe I have been using, but yours has a few aspects that make it look even better. I'm not feeling so hot today
so maybe some "penicillin" is in order. Today or tomorrow, I can't wait to try this out. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I love matzoh ball soup! Thanks for sharing your recipe Chef Bill. It'll be our little secret here on the internet ;)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
1 cup matzoh meal
4 eggs
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

I don't know if you're Jewish, Bill, but if you're not I'm making you an honorary Red Sea Pedestrian.

The seltzer is a "keep it in the family" secret, and the schmaltz is mandatory.

I love it. I went to my favorite deli today (Weinbergers in Grapevine) and they don't have it anymore. I guess that because of the lack of diversity down here Matzah ball isn't in big demand. So, who has a good Matzah ball soup recipe?
I just read your title and my mouth started to water. Still is. I don't dare look it the pictures.

I don't know if you're Jewish, Bill, but if you're not I'm making you an honorary Red Sea Pedestrian.

The seltzer is a "keep it in the family" secret, and the schmaltz is mandatory.

I'm bona fide!

Of course, schmaltz is the real deal, but even most of us in the tribe don't keep it in the house anymore (most people don't even know what it is). I used to render my own - the secret to great latkes. But that's a topic for another thread...

$2012-05-30.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I bought some of this last week, and am going to give it a shot this weekend. Wish me luck.

On edit: This place has been in Fort Worth longer than I. I am not sure how I have missed it for so long.

http://carshonsdeli.com/

Attachments

• $matzo.jpg
    $matzo.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 64
Top Bottom