What's new

Matte finish shoe polish

Wake up time for this post.

Isn't shoe cream for softening and conditioning the leather? the Shoe Polish/Wax creates a barrier between the Cream and Polish/Wax? This is why it's recommended to Apply Shoe Cream First, Then Shoe Polish/Wax? Otherwise if you do Wax First then Cream, the cream will not be absorbed because of the wax properties? Just making sure this is the correct way of creating a conditioner and a barrier.

Also I remember one time some adding 1/4 alcohol and 3/4 water solution, spray on shoe lightly, wipe off for that matt finish. Only do this after you have waxed and buffed your shoes to a shine, not before hand. Does anyone remember that process?

I have been using Saphir creme polish on my Caiman and Shark boots for a long time...I don't want a high shine on them...I feel the subtle shine is a bit more classy than a super shiny boot.

Dubbin? It’s a bit greasy but as far as I know it doesn’t shine up much. Also avoid much brushing. Just dab it on.

Did you brush them off afterwards? Unless it's some lower-end cream polish every one I've used has given it some kind of slight luster. All cream polish and wax is sort of like the wax you use on a car: You apply it, let it dry to a haze, and then brush/wipe it off to a shine. How much shine you get depends on the polish used and how much you buff it. The suggestion to just use a conditioner like Saphir Renovator is ok, however that won't fill in any scuffs or scratches in the shoe. Pigmented cream polish will blend most blemishes in.
Hello musicman ! Hey, I ran up on an ancient thread that you commented on actually back in 2014 and I want to see if I might pick your memory ? The post was related to "polishing" matte finish shoes and you said ---- "I have a pair of these and used cream. They are even less shinny now. I suspect that you'll be fine with cream if the shoes started off with that soft finish matte look. These don't even look polished to me when I finish, but I only wear them with jeans so I'm OK with that." --- Any chance you remember the cream that you use to get the "less shiney" finish ? @musicman1951

Top Bottom