What's new

Mathematics on safety razor blades vs Gilette/Wilkinson

I now use the Wilkinson quattro. I want to try the Lord platium stafety razor blades.
Let's compare those two in price for a whole lifespan:

Prices are European prices (Dutch) in euro's not on ebay, just online/regualr shops. Ony value packs are used.

8 replacement cartridges titanium quattro cost 24,95 euro's. One cartridge can last for approximately 10x shaving.
One year has 365 days, I shave myself every other day. So this means that I shave for about 182,5 days in one year. 182,5/10= 18,25cartridges. This costs me in one year: 3,1 (price of one cartridge) x 18,25= 57 euro's approximately. I am 33 years now. The average male lives till about his 75st birthday approximately (at least I hope! LOL). So this means that I will have to pay 42 (years) x 57 euro's= 2394 euro's till death comes. That is al lot of money. Gillette on the other hand is more expensive. This will result in a total sum of: 3248 euro's

Now the maths on the safety razor blades:
100 double edged blades for example Lord's cost about 15 euro's. One blade has two sides. One side lasts for about 5 close shaves. This means that one blade can be used 2x5= 10 times. 100 blades can be used 100x10= 1000 times.
I shave myself every other day. So this is 182 days in one year. 1000/182,5= 5,5 years approximately. This means that till the age of 75 I will use: 7,6 times 100 double edged blades of 15 euro's a package. This is a total of: 7,6 x 15= 114 euro's

Gillette: 3248 euro's Wilkinson 2394 euro's Lord 114 euro's
Gillette = 4621 am dollars, wilkinson= 3406 am dollars, Lord = 162 am dollars
The last one also has less irritation and a closer shave.

Why are most people still stubborn and buying the Gillette stuff?

G

gone down south

Because cartridge shaving is quicker, easier, more readily available, highly advertised, simple to learn.

DE shaving involves internet research, buying sample packs and trying different razors, learning a fairly complex new skill, putting up with poor results for a couple months until it clicks. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You forgot to factor in the ten grand or so that you're going to drop on brushes, vintage razors, and creams/soaps.

Top Bottom