What's new

Material Durability - Brass, Copper, and Stainless Steel

Just looking for some opinions from the experts here. Out of the three materials listed in the title, how would you rank the durability of the three?

I recently discovered Charcoal Goods, and the vintage finishes on the brass and copper razors is incredible. Would these hold up as well as stainless steel? I'm especially intrigued by what the opinion will be on copper durability.

Thanks!

Copper and brass will develop a patina over time. Copper usually turns darker and then eventually green (think Statue of Liberty...yes can you imagine the Statue of Liberty in its original state) from formation of copper oxide.

Brass also oxidizes to form copper oxide unless polished. Stainless has some of the best durability provided you use 300 series.

Another alternative is bronze which is a deep brown color. Titanium is very durable but also light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

400 series stainless is also good. Cheap good knives use 420 stainless. Victorinox is very close to 440c - but they have their own blend. It would still fit in the 400 series.

As far as durability goes, all of those metals are strong enough for the razor to outlast your lifetime. As olpski pointed out, the main difference is that the copper and brass razors will develop a patina over time and so if you want a shiny razor to stay shiny forever, go with the stainless steel. If you want it to develop character over time and don't mind an occasional cleaning, then brass or copper will do well.

I actually like the idea of a unique patina forming. I've got enough shiny razors...

So there should be no durability concern with copper? I've read it isn't as strong as brass (hence the addition of zinc to copper to form the alloy), but didn't know how much difference it would make in a razor lasting a long time.

I actually like the idea of a unique patina forming. I've got enough shiny razors...

So there should be no durability concern with copper? I've read it isn't as strong as brass (hence the addition of zinc to copper to form the alloy), but didn't know how much difference it would make in a razor lasting a long time.

Copper will last for near an eternity but is also soft so will dent easily. You can keep copper looking reddish or slightly dark red if you wipe it or buff it periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as durability goes, all of those metals are strong enough for the razor to outlast your lifetime. As olpski pointed out, the main difference is that the copper and brass razors will develop a patina over time and so if you want a shiny razor to stay shiny forever, go with the stainless steel. If you want it to develop character over time and don't mind an occasional cleaning, then brass or copper will do well.

+2. This is also my understanding. This is totally up to what you want.

Copper will last for near an eternity but is also soft so will dent easily. You can keep copper looking reddish or slightly dark red if you wipe it or buff it periodically.

Thanks! I think I might lean towards brass a bit more now after that comment.

Copper and brass will develop a patina over time. Copper usually turns darker and then eventually green (think Statue of Liberty...yes can you imagine the Statue of Liberty in its original state) from formation of copper oxide.

This is the exact comparison my science teacher made back in HS. "Just imagine the Statue of Liberty as a new penny" was how I improved it when I was helping my daughter with science.

I suspect copper is _so_ soft that it wouldn't work as the body of a DE razor.

For salt-water marine use, bronze and stainless-steel (300 series, not 400 series) are the preferred metals. They'll both outlast the person who buys them. Bronze will develop a patina, but won't really corrode. Both metals are more difficult to work than either brass or zinc-casting alloys ("Zamac", etc), so expect to pay more for them.

. Charles

I have the antique brass Charcoal razor and handle, and consider it my most attractive razor. On Brian's advice, I applied a bit of oil (actually, silicone grease) to the threads, but expect the thing to last forever. It's beautiful.

Any of the three will last for generations if used as a razor, any of the three will fail if used as a hammer.

Hi,

Well....I have been beating the hell out of knock-on/off wheel nuts on sports racing cars with a five-pound pure copper hammer for several decades. Copper works *very* well as a hammer. Plus, it won't beat up those costly fat lug nut ears....

Ranking the three materials: Stainless Steel, Brass, Copper...from toughest to mildest.

Stan

Top Bottom