What's new

Matching Watchband to Outfit

Since I'm new to watches, I have a question about matching the watchband to the outfit. If you are wearing a black belt and shoes, does your leather watch band have to be black too?

Are there any rules for matching watches to outfits, like the belt/shoes rule?

Since I'm new to watches, I have a question about matching the watchband to the outfit. If you are wearing a black belt and shoes, does your leather watch band have to be black too?

Are there any rules for matching watches to outfits, like the belt/shoes rule?

The obsessive/compulsive in me prefers to match to the extent possible, so I usually try to avoid wearing a gold watch with a silver belt buckle and vice versa. Same for leather straps -- all else being equal, I try to wear brown with brown and black with black. That being said, the obsessive/complulsive in me doesn't always get his way. The watch I wear to work most of the time has a dark brown alligator strap, yet I often wear it with a black belt and black shoes.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on this subject.

Enjoy!

Glad to see you've at least thought about it. I wasn't sure if I was being a bit over the top by considering this.

I don't match bands to outfits. I match bands to the watch itself. I don't worry about the suit I wear.

I tend to lean the way of not wanting to cross silver and gold myself, but most of the reading and researching on men's style I've done usually holds that the watch -- especially if it's a nicer dress watch -- really has it's own standard and isn't judged as something that must necessarily match other parts of your outfit.

There are probably more than a few watch collectors in here who may weigh in.

A nice brown alligator strap can hold it's own with anything.

Last edited:
I only have two watches, one with a black band and one with a silver band. I try to avoid the black one when I am wearing brown.

I match the watch straps with my shoes and belt; brown shoes/brown band, etc. When I only had one watch I bought a set of brown and black crock leather straps with speed pins, made changing the strap very easy.

I only wear the one watch...a stainless steel diver's....so it's not really an issue with me. My wedding ring is white gold so it doesn't clash either.

Alternatively, you could always consider a pocket watch?

I agree with the notion that a good dress watch is 'separate' from the colour of your belt/buckle and shoes. However, I am very careful not to wear a gold watch and silver cufflinks or visa versa as I think that the clash is extremely noticable.

Pete

I have three watches, an Omega white face with a brown croc strap, a Panerai with a black face with black croc strap and another Omega Seamaster stainless diver that I wear for summer or casual settings. Yes..I'm very anal about having my shoes, belt and watch band matching. It's a curse! :blushing::ohmy:

I don't match bands to outfits. I match bands to the watch itself. I don't worry about the suit I wear.

+1

If I'm wearing a leather banded watch with a formal dinner jacket/tuxedo, I would opt for black, but other than that no "rules" that I'm aware of. Luckily my OCD doesn't extend too far into this realm.

It's bad enough in others. (ADs, etc.) :lol:

i agree with the notion that a good dress watch is 'separate' from the colour of your belt/buckle and shoes. However, i am very careful not to wear a gold watch and silver cufflinks or visa versa as i think that the clash is extremely noticable.

Pete

+1, just make sure it's a nice time piece.

Last edited:
+1, just make sure it's a nice time piece.

+2.

I have two nice watches with leather straps and a steel braceletted 'every day' watch. If I'me wearing brown shoes and belt, then the watch with the brown strap comes out. The black strapped watch comes out with black shoes/belt. The steel goes with anything.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It depends on the watch that I feel like wearing that day. A lot of my vintage watches look better on grosgrain bands than they do on the leather ones.

I avoid mixing up Black and Brown when it comes to shoes/belt/watch, but I have a couple that just wouldn't really go with anything if I tired to match 100% of the time.

I don't have, and don't plan to buy a blue leather belt. [:D]

It totally depends on what I'm wearing. If its blue jeans with nicer shoes the shoes and belt match but I don't care about the watch. However, if I'm more business casual and especially when wearing dress clothes, like Neil I like to match all around. If my shoes have silver on them, I'll wear a silver belt buckle and silver (or white gold or platinum) watch. If my shoes don't have any metal on them my belt buckle of choice will still match my watch type/color.

Maybe I'm a bit OCD.

That's my approach as well.

I agree with the notion that a good dress watch is 'separate' from the colour of your belt/buckle and shoes. However, I am very careful not to wear a gold watch and silver cufflinks or visa versa as I think that the clash is extremely noticable.

I agree that cufflinks are a consideration as they are much closer to your watch as people will see them together.

Top Bottom