What's new

Matching threads on handle and head?

I'm wondering how much I need to worry about matching the threads between handle and head of safety razors in general. Most stuff seems to pretty much fit. Specifically, I have a Winning Razor, but I am not crazy about the handle. I want something with more grip, and I was considering one of those inexpensive stainless steel handles from West Coast Shaving. Don't want to screw up that Winning Razor, since they're not making them anymore, which baffles me. Darn nice razor.
Any input is appreciated, thank.

I'm wondering how much I need to worry about matching the threads between handle and head of safety razors in general. Most stuff seems to pretty much fit...
Most handles will interchange, you just need to know a few things.

Most modern razors use the same thread size (M5 X 0.8), with the exception of Fatip (M4.5 x 0.75). Vintage three-piece razors such as Gillettes generally use size #10-32 which is not very far off what the modern razors use.

As stated above, most will fit, so no need to worry... for the most part. The main exception is Fatip. Otherwise, enjoy mixing & matching. I've done that with most of my razors & have found some razors that perform better for me when I use a different handle. Enjoy!

Others have already said it...the Winning has a standard thread size in the top cap so other handles will fit (except Fatip as noted). Also, don't forget that the Winning handle has that handy magnet at the end. I find it handy at times.

At first I wasn't that crazy about the handle with the Winning either. I didn't feel that you'd get enough grip with it. So I tried a few handles for awhile. I ended up putting the original handle back on and found it's gripper than expected.

I picked up a second Merica with the new as machined finish for the handle, also got the matching stand. Winning stand is on the right.
I also bought it if I decide to get one of the Yates 921 heads. I was using a standard m5 handle made by yaqi that had better grip.

Attachments

• 20220901_234353.jpg
    20220901_234353.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom