What's new

Matching Martin de Candre scent

I'm really enjoying the great MdC Fougere soap but finding it difficult to decide which aftershave to use. Any recommendations for lotions, balms or anything else that would match the scent?

this is a big question for me, as well.

Have a sample of B&M Reserve Fern AS, and its ok - but isnt as “natural” smelling as the MdC soap.

Was wondering about the Wholly Kaw “fogure” AS - but havent tried them.

MdC would have a captive market if they decided to make matching AS, for sure

I'm really enjoying the great MdC Fougere soap but finding it difficult to decide which aftershave to use. Any recommendations for lotions, balms or anything else that would match the scent?

Welcome to B&B, Sir Romaan!

which aftershave have you used with it so far?

Nothing really that would match, I have Prorasso Sandalwood (definitely no) d. r. harris windsor (the closest as the scent is very newtral but still very different) Prorasso white balm ( also newtral) and bluebeards revenge (firm no as well)

understand that sandalwood is not a perfect match!
having said, MdC can really "go" with just about any aftershave.
to better match, think "green" or "blue".
pitralon, proraso green, 4711, Alpa fougere, proraso white, even Aqua Velva!
you'll have to experiment, really!
enjoy the ride!

4mdc.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Some of the aftershaves I've used with MdC Fougère:

Brut Classic
RazoRock Black
Bootlegger's El Dorado
Stetson
Reuzel Wood and Spice
Reuzel

A suggestion: Search for Fougère (also Fougere, sans accent) in the 'What Aftershave Soap Combination Did You Pick Today' thread (What aftershave soap combination did you pick today? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-aftershave-soap-combination-did-you-pick-today.448497/unread) located in the 'Aftershaves' forum. :)

Hope this helps. :cool:

this is a big question for me, as well.

Have a sample of B&M Reserve Fern AS, and its ok - but isnt as “natural” smelling as the MdC soap.

Was wondering about the Wholly Kaw “fogure” AS - but havent tried them.

MdC would have a captive market if they decided to make matching AS, for sure

I checked out Fougere Bouquet and Fougere Mania at Razor Emporium last time I was down there. Neither is very close to MdC Fougere.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Floris 89 does the job nicely, but it is of course pricey. The good part, other than the scent, is that it does not take much. May have to get that out tomorrow.

I've been looking for a matching aftershave, YSL rive gauche was a close match but unfortunately as with many fantastic things discontinued 😒 so the only the only one I can think of right now is Castle forbes 1445, let's hope one day MDC decides to to aftershaves but its very unlikely

Fine accoutrements lavender pour homme is not an exact match but very good though more like a lavender fougere barbershop scent

I've messaged them on Facebook as well, no response for now, will let you know if there will be any

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking for a matching aftershave, YSL rive gauche was a close match but unfortunately as with many fantastic things discontinued 😒 so the only the only one I can think of right now is Castle forbes 1445, let's hope one day MDC decides to to aftershaves but its very unlikely

Fine accoutrements lavender pour homme is not an exact match but very good though more like a lavender fougere barbershop scent

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have to try the Fine Accoutrements Lavender

This combination also works quite well - in my opinion, of course. 😎
20200720_141225~2.jpg

Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: RazoRock Black
Fragrance: Al Rehab Silver EdP

I've not made the comparison myself, but the Al-Rehab Silver is reported to be close to YSL Rive Gauche, albeit in EdP strength as opposed to an Aftershave.

YMMV :)

Last edited:
The only aftershave/pre shave they offer is this one, based on natural oils personally I haven’t tried it but it gets lots of praise, only available in this type of scent though

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Knowing that the scent of shaving soap is quite fleeting, I am impressed with this level of coordination of scent experience in the morning.

The world could use more gentlemen of this quality. Bravo!

I received a reccomendation from the online shop I've bought it from

'maybe the best combination would be the Le pere lucien Fougere after shaves because it's awesome like scent and very compatible with MdC'

Going back to the topic four months after I'd like to report that I have found two options that work best for me with MdC Fougere: Speick Aftershave Lotion + Speick Balm and Myrsol Agua Balsámica + Myrsol Emulsion. Both have matching scents and great quality

Top Bottom