What's new

Matching blades with razors

I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed. If it has, perhaps you can provide the name of the topic as a link in your answer. Anyway, realizing that YMMV, here it goes. I shave with a Gillette adjustable (not sure of the exact model name; I bought it about 40 years ago and it still works pretty well) and I usually have the setting at 4. I prefer using either Astras or Personas. If I were to take a step into the kingdom of bravery and splurge on Feathers, I'm guessing I would probably have to turn the setting down to at least 2 if not 1 instead of keeping it at 4, lest I scrape all the skin off my face. In general, will I get the same effectiveness with a Feather blade at a more sensitive setting than I would with a slightly less sharp blade at a higher setting? If I choose to stick with Astras and/or Personas, what is the ideal matchup as far as a razor is concerned (either fixed or adjustable) at a price of under $45? Thank you in advance for your responses.

My experience mirrors your own. I tend to use Gillette pre-war Techs and original Single Rings, 1918 and earlier. The Tech gives a great, long lasting, shave with Persona Crystals, Blues, Astra Greens, even Feathers if you make sure to let the razor's weight do the work. The early single rings, no way I'd put a Feather in one...again. It was an exercise in blood....but a Crystal will give a great shave.

I have a Fat Boy that I never use, I should try it again with different blades and find the best setting for each blade.

The Tech and a Crystal blade is my normal daily shave.

I don't think there is need for you to go for Feathers. If you get no tug, no irritation shaves from Astras/Personnas, why change that? Considering you like those blades, I would assume you don't have hard facial hair? There's just no need for Feather, it would only possibly irritate your skin.

In my experience, the blade gap and the aggressiveness of the razor has a bigger impact on efficiency than the blade. When I put a German Wilkinson Sword (which is close to Feather in sharpness) in the King C. Gillette razor, I still have to go over one spot 3 times to get everything off because the razor is so mild. The difference between that blade and the Astra SP is not that pronounced in mild razors. I think you should try to achieve a balance of closeness and irritation. If you are already satisfied with how close and comfortable your shaves are, don't change anything.

Under 45 bucks, for mild shaving, there's nothing wrong with KCG/Muhle R89 razor and an Astra SP blade, those razors are good with any kind of blade you put in them, you can shave in your sleep and you won't cut yourself or get irritation.

I change the setting on my adjustable depending upon a couple of factors: the amount of growth, and the number of shaves on the blade. For first use of a Feather, with a two-day growth, I might dial it to 5. For the second shave (they are only good for me for two shaves), a day later, I'd bump it to 7.

The relative sharpness of the blade doesn't factor into my decision. The blade exposure is the same for each setting, sharpness just determines how efficient each pass is (at least theoretically).

There are loads of blades out there. By all means test drive a feather it might be your blade. But also get a selection of gilette Sb, platinum, nacet, wizamet, bic.

I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed. If it has, perhaps you can provide the name of the topic as a link in your answer. Anyway, realizing that YMMV, here it goes. I shave with a Gillette adjustable (not sure of the exact model name; I bought it about 40 years ago and it still works pretty well) and I usually have the setting at 4. I prefer using either Astras or Personas. If I were to take a step into the kingdom of bravery and splurge on Feathers, I'm guessing I would probably have to turn the setting down to at least 2 if not 1 instead of keeping it at 4, lest I scrape all the skin off my face. In general, will I get the same effectiveness with a Feather blade at a more sensitive setting than I would with a slightly less sharp blade at a higher setting? If I choose to stick with Astras and/or Personas, what is the ideal matchup as far as a razor is concerned (either fixed or adjustable) at a price of under $45? Thank you in advance for your responses.
No one can guess what will work or not work for you, nor can they tell you what will be “ideal” for you. All you can do is try it for yourself and go from there.

Looks like our taste in blades may overlap a good bit.

For what it is worth, my ‘top-tier’ in no particular order:
Astra SP
GSB
Nacet
Wizamet SI (or Polsilvers)
Personna lab (or MedPreps)
Personna red (Israeli)

The main thing IMO is to enjoy the journey!! :a29:

You can get an Edwin Jagger DE89 for around 40 bucks from Wally World. You can get a Razorock Game Changer all stainless razor for $5 more.

I love Feather blades in my DE89. Fantastic. I do not like them at all in either of my Game Changers. I prefer Rapira Swedish SuperSteel or Voshkod in them.

I report my own experience.
Best blades for:
- Muhle R89 = feather blades
- Merku Future = personna platinum
- Merkur 39C = Kai stainless steel
- Fatip Lo Storto slant oc = Kai stainless steel

I suspect that very minor differences in blade width will greatly affect how they work in a razor, as the blade exposure is determined by the width of the blade. Couplt thousandths of an inch will make a blade feel much more aggressive or "blunt" with no difference in the actual sharpness. If the edge isn't in contact with you skin, all blades pull. If it sticks out too much, all the pressure is on the blade edge and not the saftey bar and cap, and the blade will shave like a straight razor.

I find I have to adjust my razors for each blade -- couldn't get a decent shave with a Polsiver SI until I cranked up my FatBoy to 7, and then it lasted over 100 shaves. Left stubble at lower settings.

On the other hand, a 7 O'Clock Yellow peeled my face at 5, had to pull it back to 2 for a couple shaves to keep my skin intact. Both equally sharp, but I'd bet money the Yellow is marginally wider.

If you don't have an adjustable razor, you have to find the blade that fits it correctly for you -- one of the reasons I like adjustables.

Top Bottom