What's new

Matching 5-day set

I have always admired the old 7 day sets, but would never pay thousands of dollars for one. Inspired by rbscebu's 7 day sets, I had a go at making one too. Recently a shaving website in my country had a 50% off sale so I wouldn't have to wait months for the items not to show up (like a very large Jungle Book shop did). While their TIs were all sold out months ago, they had some very cheap Comoy's Of London razors which I curently use. They were about US$10 a pop (or 15$ AU) so I had nothing to loose.

I generally shave 5 days a week, letting the face rest on the weekend and giving me the best shave of the week on Monday, so I'm making a 5 day set. It's another one of those Covid pastimes while locked in the house. Having 1 razor already, I needed to spend the princely sum of ~ $40 US or $60AU.

They arrived today and a quick test indicated they were nowhere near shave ready. A quick honing and stropping has them at a state I'm prepared to test. They now live in my first razor box I made from a chocolate box, lined with a synthetic of some sort.
5 day set box.jpg

Here they are all lined up
5 Day Set.jpg

Here is an example razor on show
5 day set opened.jpg

It still needs to be laser etched this weekend and the bloody etching may cost $10US ($15AU) per razor. Completely ridiculous to spend as much on the etching as the razor but life is short, money is to be spent to be enjoyed, Father's Day is coming up, and I'll use them for decades to come.

Some would argue that the whole thing is ludicrous as the real value of a N day set is the quality of the razor and having N of the same razor is the same as having 1 of it. Both highly cogent arguments, but I'm not going to spend over $1,000 on 5 of the same decent razors. It was an itch I wanted to scratch & this box looks nice next to my really nice razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Straight up, welcome to the matching SR sets. As you may have read before, every true gentleman of (at least) modest means should have a matching # day set.

I find it an interesting part of SR shaving. Like you, my first M7DS was relatively cheap at about USD 20 per razor and engraving was only about USD 7 per blade.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Straight up, the first thing I did once I got my first M7DS together was to refine their edges to the stage were they all gave the same consistently good shave. Once that is achieved, you can experiment to see how many shaves you can get without any stroppping, using one blade as the test specimen and the others for criterion shaves.

@Straight up, the first thing I did once I got my first M7DS together was to refine their edges to the stage were they all gave the same consistently good shave. Once that is achieved, you can experiment to see how many shaves you can get without any stroppping, using one blade as the test specimen and the others for criterion shaves.
I'm working on the edges now. I had a shave with a new one and as expected the existing standby had to be called in to finish the job :( Time and effort will sort them out to a standard that matches the existing one.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think its a great way to sort out different edge finishes.
I disagree. I found it best to first get all edges the same, then play around with different edge finishes. You then have others to compare against.

I have also found that different blades (not matching) require slightly different honing techniques. Having a M#DS allows you to perfect the technique for those particular blades.

I disagree. I found it best to first get all edges the same, then play around with different edge finishes. You then have others to compare against.

I have also found that different blades (not matching) require slightly different honing techniques. Having a M#DS allows you to perfect the technique for those particular blades.

i’m not sure we disagree. Absolutely need to sort out the bevel apex on all razors.

also agree about specific examples needing to be tweaked/different and similar razors makes it easier to compare. Thats just honing in general.

Quite well, thanks for asking @rbscebu.

I have cycled through it twice and noticed Tuesday was not up to par. I worked on it last weekend and may use the set next week. I'm keen to see how the tweking improved it, however I'm probably going to make a 15 minute straight shave challenge video next week and would rather use my 'nice' razors for it.

I have noticed these razors are much 'noiser' than the others, maybe becasue the grind is much thinner?? I like the sound of a razor so it doesn't bother me. I used my Father's day Thiers Issard today and it is so quiet, makes me wonder. Looking at it clearly shows it is a hollow grind, but compared to the 5 day set it is almost silent (like a wedge!)

I have not had the spines engraved, the cost is greater than the total value of the razors. I'm thinking of giving the set to my son (who is just starting straigh shaving) because I'm getting too many razors (10!)

One of the things I found attractive about straight shaving was the minimalism of it. One razor will last a life time when maintained. Having a couple reduces the wear on them plus you get to try the differnt feels they all have. I do find that once I acquire a new razor the thrill drops; the thrill of the chase & anticipation is a driver to acquire more but it's a hollow persuit.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I agree with you on the thrill of the chase. Once I have finished putting together my five M7DS's I intend on only keeping one or two sets for my personal use. I will PIF the other three to some worthy people. I already have a Japanese gent who is interested in my Japanese VG10 set.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Straight up Not that this is a bad thing, because it isn't, but do be aware that those are Gold Dollars. The coarsely ground stabilizer is a dead giveaway.
I am aiming for my fifth set to be of Gold Dollar W59's. They will be engraved in Chinese. Once I grind the excessive smile out of the edge, I really enjoy shaving with them.

IMG_20200919_065313.jpg

Slash, I noticed it on the latest lot I bought. I couldn't understand why there would be striations on the stabiliser. Now the penny drops, they are Chinese made and rebranded as Comoy's of London (perhaps from the Chinatown part of London).

Rbscebu, I'm expecting mine in the next week or two. I am looking forward to using the W59.

I have to admit that I just bought a second hand TI in poor shape for the same price as I paid for 4 Comoy's of London razors. But to me the TI is worth far more than the 4 Comoy's razors. The quality of the TI is head and shoulders above the Comoy's razors and the Comoy's are almost a Pyrrhic victory. I don't hate the Comoys razors, for the price they are fine and would make a fine traveling razor. If you know what you are doing you can turn the Comoys into a fine shaver but it will never be a champion razor that captures your heart.

Global_dev, I have never seen a Gold Dollar IRL so I had nothing to compare it to. In my mind I associated them but didn't know if they were made at the same factory.

You are 100% correct, and I stand corrected. The Gold Dollar modification challenge has produced some gorgeous results.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Slash, I noticed it on the latest lot I bought. I couldn't understand why there would be striations on the stabiliser. Now the penny drops, they are Chinese made and rebranded as Comoy's of London (perhaps from the Chinatown part of London).

Rbscebu, I'm expecting mine in the next week or two. I am looking forward to using the W59.

I have to admit that I just bought a second hand TI in poor shape for the same price as I paid for 4 Comoy's of London razors. But to me the TI is worth far more than the 4 Comoy's razors. The quality of the TI is head and shoulders above the Comoy's razors and the Comoy's are almost a Pyrrhic victory. I don't hate the Comoys razors, for the price they are fine and would make a fine traveling razor. If you know what you are doing you can turn the Comoys into a fine shaver but it will never be a champion razor that captures your heart.

Anybody can contact the factory directly or via alibaba and order 100 unbranded or rebranded razors of whatever model, with or without scales of whatever type they can make in the factory, for chimp change. They want to sell razors. They don't care what you do with them. Those in your set are GD66. Comoy would have done better to pay an extra 50c/ea for P81 ("1996"). Wouldn't have to be a Chinese person or someone in Chinatown. Could be anybody. A count or an earl or a duke. British to the backbone. LOL! Where was your 5-set shipped from?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've noticed recently that Alibaba now have some unbranded "Gold Dollar" SR's shipping from Pakistan, often even a bit cheaper than what GD in China sell.

At least the Pakistanis play cricket! That's more than can be said for the Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've noticed recently that Alibaba now have some unbranded "Gold Dollar" SR's shipping from Pakistan, often even a bit cheaper than what GD in China sell.

At least the Pakistanis play cricket! That's more than can be said for the Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese.
Less than $1.50USD? Sounds like a knockoff.

Top Bottom