What's new

Mastering A Particular Razor

So I know all razors will shave slightly different from one to the next. I have shaved with multiple different razors but I still have one trouble spot that I always seem to get a little bit of redness. I know my technique is not perfect yet but I can shave every other spot irritation free every shave. I'm going to stick with my ATT M1 only until I can master that one spot of constant irritation. My question is, if I can master the razor and my technique, is there any reason why this razor may still give me irritation? I would think once someone has mastered the art of DE shaving they should be able to get a perfect shave with anything, although they might enjoy certain razors more than others.

Last edited:
You're gonna have to take that up with the true Jedi masters. I'm still at the stage where some razors work for me better than others. Although I can get a BBS shave with any number of my best razors, some razors produce results that last longer.

I thought I might get a response like that :laugh: thanks though, Dr. So even though some razors produce longer lasting results, are you able to get an irritation free shave with any razor if you try hard enough?

It's funny, I have pretty well mastered my no 15, but no matter what I do I get an irritation ridden first and second shave with a feather. Now contrast that with a silver blue, I get 3 days of irritation free BBS and 2 DFS. What I did learn however, is that minimizing variables is incredibly important to mastering a razor. I usually use one cream, preshave, balm and brush when figuring out a razor and razor blade combo. /boilerplate YMMV

I thought I might get a response like that :laugh: thanks though, Dr. So even though some razors produce longer lasting results, are you able to get an irritation free shave with any razor if you try hard enough?

Definitely not. However, I have about 10 or 15 razors that I consider to be highly effective for me and that run the gamut from moderately mild to super aggressive. I can almost always get an irritation free shave with any of those razors when loaded with a high quality blade. Where I occasionally get some irritation is 12-15 hours later. The stubble can sometimes bother me. With more aggressive razors, there is less stubble in the evening and therefore less irritation.

Dr.Awkward hits on something that I believe we underappreciate - a more aggressive razor may be less irritating than a mild one. My chin is my weak spot for razor burn. A clean shave with a single pass from an aggressive razor is much easier on my skin than multiple passes with a less aggressive razor. In fact yesterday I shaved twice with my ATT R1 (Long story for another time). Absolutely no irritation.

As for mastering certain razors: I was unable to master the ATT M2. If you were to ask me, I would tell you that the R1 is a less aggressive razor than the M2. I know. I know. NUTS! But, so it goes......

Thanks for the input guys. I have only tried one blade in my M1 so far. It feels really smooth on the face but I guess it could be part of the problem still. I will try some different blades and see what happens.

I will pick up a different razor and blade combination every day I shave, ranging from DE to SE to injector, to a disposable straight blade in the Cobra.

Is there a difference in how each shaves? Yea... Can I get a perfect shave with any/all of them? Yea...

Get your shaving technique down to a daily robotic replay, then you can use anything with a few subtle changes in your "style"

To the OP, if it is one particular spot you are having issues with, it isn't likely related to the razor, but some physical issue (grain, skin issue, bumps, etc) that is causing you problems. It may require a different approach to that spot. I have a spot on my neck that used to be like that as well. I had to adjust how I handled that spot (I changed the direction slightly as well as the blade angle) and now it no longer is a problem, but that goes for each razor. If that makes sense. You have to master more than just the razor.

Dr.Awkward hits on something that I believe we underappreciate - a more aggressive razor may be less irritating than a mild one. My chin is my weak spot for razor burn. A clean shave with a single pass from an aggressive razor is much easier on my skin than multiple passes with a less aggressive razor. In fact yesterday I shaved twice with my ATT R1 (Long story for another time). Absolutely no irritation.

I think this concept is probably overplayed, if anything. Razors don't cause irritation. Poor shaving technique causes irritation. And razors don't dictate closeness or number of passes, technique dictates those variables as well.

Thank you gents. I'm with Turtle and Tally on the technique. I just wanted confirmation that I should blame my technique and not my razors. Looks like I have some work to do.

Top Bottom