What's new

Master Witch Hazel?

I've recently placed an order at Appleton Barber Supply, and decided to include a bottle of "Master Witch Hazel". It's said to be 100% pure, contentrated, double distilled witch hazel.

So, in lamens terms... what's the difference between this stuff, and other witch hazels, such as Dickinson's, Thayer's (obviously, fragrance-free), and the cheap store brand stuff? Anyone ever use Master Witch Hazel? If so, thoughts?

-Pete

never heard of Master Witch Hazel

key differentiator is the use of alcohol in the formulation; some like it, some don't.

most have some aloe vera, rose, or other "stuff". check the label

I stick with the alcohol free Thayers:a4:

I don't use aftershaves. I find if I leave things alone I'm usually better off. However, I do have Thayer's Aloe which I've used on occassion and it's pretty nice. Probably the best witch hazel brand I've used. Tried Dickinson's and generic and Thayer's is waaaaaaaaaay better IMHO.

John

Is the WH I can get in any store, such as Wal Mart or Big Lots, good for anything at all? I always wonder this when I see it.

Yep-if you check the ingredient list, you will find that chemically it's equal to the name brands.

True, many are seemingly the same, although I've recently noticed that most of the store brand witch hazel products contain a percentage of alcohol. In fact, I was surprised to find that Dickinson's (blue label) contains 14% alcohol. I am assuming this particular Dickinson's product is sold as a "toner", opposed to a pure witch hazel.

As for this Master With Hazel, I have yet to see a label indicating whether or not it contains any alcohol. The product descriptions I've read all state that it is "100% double distilled witch hazel". I currenly have a bottle on the way, so I should hopefully find out soon enough.

Yep-if you check the ingredient list, you will find that chemically it's equal to the name brands.

Marty

I just ordered a bottle of Thayer's because I'm a sucker. But at least I'll know what people are talking about now when I read about Thayer's. I'm going to get a bottle of the el cheapo kind next time I'm out.

I just ordered a bottle of Thayer's because I'm a sucker. But at least I'll know what people are talking about now when I read about Thayer's. I'm going to get a bottle of the el cheapo kind next time I'm out.

I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I'd say you've done rather well for yourself, as Thayer's is a proven favorite among wetshavers. If anyone is in line to be made a sucker of, it is me.

There you have it, compliments of D.J. (Dinder1). Thanks for the clarification. It seems they ALL contain 14% alcohol (or more), then. I can only assume this is added as a preservative, of sorts.

Thanks again, Dinder! Impressions?

There you have it, compliments of D.J. (Dinder1). Thanks for the clarification. It seems they ALL contain 14% alcohol (or more), then. I can only assume this is added as a preservative, of sorts.

Pretty much just plain old witch hazel without any added scents etc.

Not all. :tongue: I just ordered the Thayers Toners with Aloe Vera (Alcohol-Free). I used to buy rubbing alcohol to put on my face after I shaved. I always wondered what the witch hazel was right next to it on the shelf. Boy was I dumb!

Masters and Thayers are alcohol free, whereas normal witch hazel (Dickinsons) has 14% alcohol. I'd stick to the alcohol free stuff. Thayers is great!

Masters and Thayers are alcohol free, whereas normal witch hazel (Dickinsons) has 14% alcohol. I'd stick to the alcohol free stuff. Thayers is great!

Am I missing something, or is the picture about a picture of Masters and it says right on it that it has alcohol?

Top Bottom