What's new

Master Smokey Oud Aftershave

So I got this in a little while ago. I'm still trying to figure out its scent. My other experience with oud so far is RazoRock The Stallion. I can smell the oud in Master Smokey Oud, but the initial scent when applied is much sweeter with a bit of a floral undertone. The undertone might be lavender (or it could just be my imagination, the aftershave is purple after all). This sweet, floral scent subsides over about an hour and you're left with the oud base. It is a very simple oud scent in comparison with RR The Stallion. While I enjoy Smokey Oud, I wish it was a little more complex. I will probably try mixing it with other aftershaves to give it a bit more complexity. It goes very well with WhollyKaw's Fougere Bouquet shave soap and has resolved my aftershave trouble with that soap...

Hope some of that helps.

So I got this in a little while ago. I'm still trying to figure out its scent. My other experience with oud so far is RazoRock The Stallion. I can smell the oud in Master Smokey Oud, but the initial scent when applied is much sweeter with a bit of a floral undertone. The undertone might be lavender (or it could just be my imagination, the aftershave is purple after all). This sweet, floral scent subsides over about an hour and you're left with the oud base. It is a very simple oud scent in comparison with RR The Stallion. While I enjoy Smokey Oud, I wish it was a little more complex. I will probably try mixing it with other aftershaves to give it a bit more complexity. It goes very well with WhollyKaw's Fougere Bouquet shave soap and has resolved my aftershave trouble with that soap...

Hope some of that helps.
Thanks! Now, if I only knew what “oud” smells like!

Thanks! Now, if I only knew what “oud” smells like!
Apologies. Oud smells almost like tree sap to me. Kind of a woodsy, resin-like scent. It's much more pleasant than I made that sound. While cedar and sandalwood have a very firm wood note, oud is much more subtle. Oud is the scent that comes from agarwood. Agarwood is made by a certain mold infecting a tree. It has a somewhat oriental vibe to it (like Turkish rather than the Asian continent). Usually has some spice accompaniment with the oud scent. Smokey oud doesn't have as much of the spice, trading it for other floral, citrus and sweet notes that fade to allow the oud to balance everything else out.

I have mixed it with my 50/50 Master's Bay Rum and Gabel's Bay Rum mixture, but this didn't add as much spice as I was hoping. I'll have to try out other mixtures, maybe it'll go well with Clubman Wood and Spice.

Hope this was more helpful combined with my first post.

Apologies. Oud smells almost like tree sap to me. Kind of a woodsy, resin-like scent. It's much more pleasant than I made that sound. While cedar and sandalwood have a very firm wood note, oud is much more subtle. Oud is the scent that comes from agarwood. Agarwood is made by a certain mold infecting a tree. It has a somewhat oriental vibe to it (like Turkish rather than the Asian continent). Usually has some spice accompaniment with the oud scent. Smokey oud doesn't have as much of the spice, trading it for other floral, citrus and sweet notes that fade to allow the oud to balance everything else out.

I have mixed it with my 50/50 Master's Bay Rum and Gabel's Bay Rum mixture, but this didn't add as much spice as I was hoping. I'll have to try out other mixtures, maybe it'll go well with Clubman Wood and Spice.

Hope this was more helpful combined with my first post.
Thank you so much! Your description has me very curious to try it!

Funny story, a few weeks ago I contacted one of my favorite barber suppliers to see if they had Smokey Oud yet. They did not, so I ended up placing an order including several of the Pinaud products I always have trouble finding in brick n mortar places. I got the order and a week or so later they had it in stock! DOH! Then last week I found a brick n mortar place nearby that carries ALL of the Pinaud stuff! Double DOH! Well, at least I have a backup plan now for when I run out in 3018!

Funny story, a few weeks ago I contacted one of my favorite barber suppliers to see if they had Smokey Oud yet. They did not, so I ended up placing an order including several of the Pinaud products I always have trouble finding in brick n mortar places. I got the order and a week or so later they had it in stock! DOH! Then last week I found a brick n mortar place nearby that carries ALL of the Pinaud stuff! Double DOH! Well, at least I have a backup plan now for when I run out in 3018!
How is the OUD?

Top Bottom