What's new

Master Blending Thread

Not trying to derail - I have tried those "pipe tobacco cigars" from gas stations, and been less than impressed... I would like to try rolling my own cigars with a mix of cavendish and 1Q or something, but I have no idea where to get the tobacco leaf to attempt making my own cigar! (much less HOW to roll and form it!)

This is what I had. A friend of mine dabbles in rolling his own cigars. He buys the leaf online somewhere...

He did a bunch with some aromatic pipe tobacco in them. They were superb. He gave me like 8...I save them for when I absolutely must have an enjoyable smoke. I think I only have one left. :(

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Another recipe I came up with last month.

Ned Land
25% Red Virginia
25% Bright Virginia
25% Latakia
25% Perique
Flavored with Kraken rum.

Strong Burley Blend (all bulks from P&C): equal proportions of AAA Burley, Dark Burley, and Toasted Burley.

Humidify with rum to your liking. I used one mini-bottle of white rum for approximately 16oz of tobacco.

As the name states, this is a relatively strong blend (high nicotine, at least to me). It produces a rich, creamy smoke. It is not sweet! It is more like unsweetened cocoa, cedar, and black coffee -- not unlike a cigar. If you push it, it smokes a bit sour (green apple). I'm a bit of a burley junkie, so this is right up my alley.

Those who prefer something sweeter may wish to substitute a virginia for the toasted burley. For something stronger/smokier, substitute dark fired for the dark burley.

Kilroy6644

I had a name for this one, but I forgot it. It's a mixture of commercial blends.

2/3 heavy English blend
1/3 Lane 1Q

For a long time, my favorite English blend was Sutliff Heavy English, and blends similar to that, but now I find that it tastes a bit "sharp," and I like things a little mellower. When mixed with 1Q, it's not too dissimilar from Bengal Slices, at least in flavor.

Kilroy6644

So, I have a pouch of Middleton Apple. I like it, but the apple flavor is very mild. My girlfriend got me a bottle of Snake Bite apple cider flavored whiskey for my birthday, so I took aside a portion of the tobacco and moistened it with the whiskey. Then I added a few drops of caramel flavor for good measure. The end result had a more pronounced caramel apple flavor, but was pretty sticky, so I've mixed it back in with the rest of the pouch.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Captain Packer’s Black Death- 2/3 Latakia, 1/3 Burley, touch of Cavendish. Combine, add enough rum (Kraken works well) to bind, put it in a press for a couple weeks. Slice off some, rub it out, and enjoy.

Kilroy6644

That I don't know. I rarely drink whiskey. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.
So I gave it a try at a Christmas party last night, and they mixed pretty well. The apple flavor of the whiskey is much stronger than the tobacco, so it seemed as if the flavor "grew." The caramel flavor I'd added wasn't washed away, and it really jumped out when I took a sip. It was really good.

So I gave it a try at a Christmas party last night, and they mixed pretty well. The apple flavor of the whiskey is much stronger than the tobacco, so it seemed as if the flavor "grew." The caramel flavor I'd added wasn't washed away, and it really jumped out when I took a sip. It was really good.
Sounds like a great match then for sure! Excellent.

Several weeks ago I purchased my first pipe and a bag of black Cavendish, which was recommended by the tobacconist. The tobacco smells of raisins and vanilla, but the smoke is nearly flavorless, with the occasional hint of vanilla.

I considered discarding the Cavendish, but decided instead to concoct my own blend:

1.5 oz black Cavendish
1.5 oz rum aromatic
1.0 oz Virginia flake

The rum and Virginia tobaccos are from another B&M tobacconist, and I don't know who produced them. Which, of course, is because I failed to ask.

The Virginia flake has a sweet aroma on its own, which became bread/yeast in the mixing bowl. The result is a rum-raisin pastry aroma, which homogenized after eight weeks in a Mason jar.

The aroma transferred to the flavor during the first half of the bowl, with the addition of a hint of chocolate now and then. Unfortunately, it became an oddly-flavored cigarette taste after the halfway point.

I have that happen with most blends are high in cavendish. They muddy down to a generic sort of meh tobacco right around 1/2 or so.

Kilroy6644

I was craving some Virginia today, but all I have is two coins of Escudo, so I mixed up a blend. 49% Bright, 49% Red, and 2% Perique. I ended up with 4% Perique, because the scale kept showing 0, until it jumped to 0.4g. Nothing special, but it satisfied my craving.

Strong Burley Blend (all bulks from P&C): equal proportions of AAA Burley, Dark Burley, and Toasted Burley.

Humidify with rum to your liking. I used one mini-bottle of white rum for approximately 16oz of tobacco.

As the name states, this is a relatively strong blend (high nicotine, at least to me). It produces a rich, creamy smoke. It is not sweet! It is more like unsweetened cocoa, cedar, and black coffee -- not unlike a cigar. If you push it, it smokes a bit sour (green apple). I'm a bit of a burley junkie, so this is right up my alley.

Those who prefer something sweeter may wish to substitute a virginia for the toasted burley. For something stronger/smokier, substitute dark fired for the dark burley.

I can find AAA burley and and Dark burley as blending burley but not the toasted burley at P&C. Any suggestions? This sounds like a burley blend right up my alley! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I can find AAA burley and and Dark burley as blending burley but not the toasted burley at P&C. Any suggestions? This sounds like a burley blend right up my alley! Thanks!

Daughters and Ryan Two Timer Regular is a straight double toasted burley.

Daughters and Ryan Two Timer Regular is a straight double toasted burley.

Exactly what I would have suggested! I have a 16oz bag of Two Timer in storage just for this purpose. This is a great, straight-up burley in its own right. I've found D&R blends to be very dry, so they need to be humidified before smoking.

BTW, I've revised my blend to include a little dark-fired. A little goes a long way to round out the flavor profile. Somehow, the smokiness of the dark fired (in small quantities) makes the blend taste a little sweeter.

Top Bottom