What's new

Massive Bay Rum review - 20 sampled

Wow this is an old thread, OP was a great member with lots of thoughtful contributions and was heavy into posting when I was just getting started.

If I recall correctly, his objective was to find 1 brush, 1 cream/soap, 1 aftershave, 1 razor/blade and 1 cologne and then forget about everything else and just shave. He pretty much stuck to it from what I remember and went through an insane amount of sampling/testing very quickly.

If I recall correctly I think he stuck with the Toggle as his go to razor and Prairie Creations Lime(?) as his soap/cream but I don't recall his other choices.

Blast from the past!

Wow - I was going to ask what happened to WhosYerBob. I really enjoyed his reviews when he was posting - didn't realize it was a planned whirlwind tour

Nice reviews. Thank you very much.

For some reason, after all I've tried so far, I've never really tried any bay rums until recently. I got a sample of Saint Charles Shave / Bay Rum with a Twist Cologne. I then found out that I DO like bay rums. So let the acquisitions begin. I think I'll start with the Dominica's as you suggest.

Thanks again, this should maybe be a sticky or in Wiki.

EDIT: So much for me looking at dates of posts. But still an effective thread.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly I think he stuck with the Toggle as his go to razor and Prairie Creations Lime(?) as his soap/cream but I don't recall his other choices.

Blast from the past!

I believe I bought a bunch of stuff from him that was really inexpensive, like 170 Dorco blades for $5.00, but I passed on his $36 Toggle. It's ok, because I'm really not into Gillette adjustable razors. lol

Good thread to resurrect! After reading the reviews he wrote I ordered a 2oz bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne for a dollar on Ogallala's website. If I end up liking it, I may get the Special Reserve.

I picked up a bottle of Bigelow Bay Rum lotion in a trade somewhere, I don't recall from whom. By itself it doesn't have a powerful scent. But if I combine it with Ogallala, Pinaud, Master's, or most any other AS I have, it seems to really enhance the smell and the longevity. Of course, YMMV.

I picked up a bottle of Bigelow Bay Rum lotion in a trade somewhere, I don't recall from whom. By itself it doesn't have a powerful scent. But if I combine it with Ogallala, Pinaud, Master's, or most any other AS I have, it seems to really enhance the smell and the longevity. Of course, YMMV.

Try the Bigelow Bay Rum EdT with the AS lotion, if you can find it. Pretty good stuff.

=====================

1. Dominica / Double-Distilled Bay Rum Aftershave - Emptied the entire .03 oz sample on me. Correctly labeled as an aftershave, but incorrectly labeled on some websites as having come from the culinary Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis) leaf instead. Rest assured - Dominica Bay Rums are distilled from the leaves of the West Indian Bay tree (Pimenta racemosa).

Wow - this juice smells GREAT! If you want to educate yourself and smell true Bay scent with nothing else added, this is it. According to the Dominica website, it contains "purest of alcohol and the leaf oil extract from the Caribbean bay tree (Pimenta racemosa)" and "no artificial dyes, fragrances, or synthetic enhancers of any kind". Very clean, with no other notes of cloves or cinnamon. Also very fleeting, as the scent had vanished in 7 minutes to the point that Cindy could barely detect it when smelling my arm directly to her nose.
    Rating: Cindy gives it - 8/10; I give it - 8/10 due to longevity issues
    Longevity: 7 minutes on my skin; YMMV

No Basenotes information.

=====================

Based on your review, this is what I bought. (I already had the Pinaud VI and it was too Clovey.) It arrived this morning and I have to say, I LOVE this smell! Thank you for such an in-depth review!:thumbup1:

As a fan of bay rums, great review.

Would like to see few pretty-hard-to-get (in Europe) bay rums in the list.

1) Captain's Bay Rum (both varities, original and the cat one)
2) Pinaud-Clubman Bay Rum
3) Layrite Bay Rum
4) Lucky Tiger Bay Rum

I'll do my share for the reviews, if I get any of those. I'll probably order 2-4 from the list tomorrow, but Captain's will be harder to get.

Let's continue the Bay Rum bonanza with a fresh review.

---

Honeybee Gardens / Bay Rum Aftershave - Decided to buy it off the net while purchasing some other toiletries. For $5.99 it wasn't too expensive to try out, so why not. After a close shave - first splash - BRUT! Too much lavender for my taste. Nice warming burn and soothing sensations, but still not the bay rum scent I'm always looking for. The scent develops somewhat on the skin, but not to the direction I was looking to go - bay rum. Classic smell? Yes. Apparently organic? Yes. For me? I'll have to say no. But for someone with an appreciation towards the ol' Brut, this might be a bit more fresh option.

Rating: 5 / 10 - Not enough bay rum for me, however not a bad scent in general.
Longevity: Around half an hour, could still catch a whiff in the morning - pretty good, I would say.

From Basenotes: not in Basenotes.

Website: http://www.honeybeegardens.com/product/for-men/mas.html

Last edited:

WOW. This is me too. I use the Bigelow Bay Rum balm (which smell great AND is great for the skin). Then I use the regular Ogallala cologne which is great but you gotta shake it like a Polaroid picture! Lol
Ogalalla's website is so interested in you trying them out. That they will send you a 1 ounce bottle (yes a whole ounce) for$1 ! And mine came with a liquid after shave (1 ounce) for free. I'm def. gonna order the special reserve which is double the scent.
I'd like to know how Capt. Choice smells.

WOW. This is me too. I use the Bigelow Bay Rum balm (which smell great AND is great for the skin). Then I use the regular Ogallala cologne which is great but you gotta shake it like a Polaroid picture! Lol
Ogalalla's website is so interested in you trying them out. That they will send you a 1 ounce bottle (yes a whole ounce) for$1 ! And mine came with a liquid after shave (1 ounce) for free. I'm def. gonna order the special reserve which is double the scent.
I'd like to know how Capt. Choice smells.
Hey Charms434 -- PM me your address. I don't know when -- because I have to find an appropriate sample vial, which I don't have on hand -- but I'll send you a sample of the Captain's Choice (original/"classic") if you want.

Top Bottom