What's new

Masons? Shriners?

Remember this: dont walk, RUN from anyone that says this. They are looking for fresh meat to put in the officer line before you are ready.

YOU must benefit from the lodge more than they benefit from you. Trust me on this. The outcome is you being overwhelmed and leaving in frustration.
That makes a lot of sense too. I don’t want to be rushed through it, I want to enjoy the progression. What do you suggest?

Remember this: dont walk, RUN from anyone that says this. They are looking for fresh meat to put in the officer line before you are ready.

YOU must benefit from the lodge more than they benefit from you. Trust me on this. The outcome is you being overwhelmed and leaving in frustration.

Seconded . . . like a LOT of different organizations, when they discover a talent they will attempt to maximize it. Set limits and be firm. I didn't . . . and I became disaffected as a result. My own fault, really . . . but still.

There are two sides to this coin. If the members fail to engage a new brother and make them feel part of the Lodge he may also feel disengaged. I like the idea of a newer brother to sit as a Steward or MC. It’s not a bad idea to give them a part in a degree such as the Q&A’s.

As in anything you do you must be your own advocate. You get out of it what you put into it. Participate at your own comfort level.

In my area the Lodges have different cultures so to speak. Some are more formal and others are more social. My own Lodge is serious about the ritual but is very social both before and after meeting. What I’m saying is that there are voices out there. Join a Lodge and visit others in your area. Find the best fit for you.

That makes a lot of sense too. I don’t want to be rushed through it, I want to enjoy the progression. What do you suggest?

Firstly, they must ASK you if you want to be an officer, not TELL you.

Secondly, participate and help out but I recommend to not take an officers chair until you've been a master mason for at least a year to see what is involved in taking on any additional work.

Some will guilt you or pressure you to do it, but you have to say "it's not a No, it's a not right now"

All valid points, guys. Thank you for giving me some things to think about. I am looking forward to being involved, but I also have my own business, a second job, and a two year old at home so I can’t make it a full time dedication yet. I will do some thinking, and try to keep an open mind. It is something I want to do, but I want to enjoy the journey, not be rushed or pressured into too much just starting out.

Lol! So true. I was the youngest PAST Master in Michigan for a few years. When I was out of my area brothers would do a double take when I stood up for introductions!

That’s something I haven’t seen here really. I have only officially held up to SD but have sat in and performed duties of all stations and places, even several conferences.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Only chair I did not sit in was the WM's. On Member's night, I filled each seat, including the JW for an EA degree night. I loved doing the Ritual work and had a knack for it (only needed 1 prompt during the JW's lecture).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was not blessed with a great memory, but I was better than average at the ritual, minus lectures. I had my petition read on my 21st birthday, was installed as senior steward before I was 22, then went straight through. Became secretary right after the East for several years. Never was Treasurer or Tyler, except for fill ins. My dad was my Tyler. He could sit out there and smoke, lol. Miss those days, and I was too young to appreciate it. Freemasonry taught me a lot. Oh, I was also installed as Historian for a few years.

I 100% disagree. Every time I do an investigation, I asked the petitioner what they expect to gain from Freemasonry. I follow that up with "What do you have to offer the lodge?"

FarmerTan

All valid points, guys. Thank you for giving me some things to think about. I am looking forward to being involved, but I also have my own business, a second job, and a two year old at home so I can’t make it a full time dedication yet. I will do some thinking, and try to keep an open mind. It is something I want to do, but I want to enjoy the journey, not be rushed or pressured into too much just starting out.
I recommend you join, ASAP. BUT! Really remember what you just typed. I was truly to young to join, looking back. But it grew me up. I was single. Got married at 25 while I was in the JW seat.

WHATEVER you do, DO NOT SKIP Senior Deacon. No matter what. Once they ask, and they WILL, for you to become a line officer, tell them "yes, as long as I can start no higher than Junior Deacon and not skip the Senior Deacon's chair." If they back out on their word, drop that lodge and transfer to another. You deserve better.

I recommend you join, ASAP. BUT! Really remember what you just typed. I was truly to young to join, looking back. But it grew me up. I was single. Got married at 25 while I was in the JW seat.

WHATEVER you do, DO NOT SKIP Senior Deacon. No matter what. Once they ask, and they WILL, for you to become a line officer, tell them "yes, as long as I can start no higher than Junior Deacon and not skip the Senior Deacon's chair." If they back out on their word, drop that lodge and transfer to another. You deserve better.
Thank you for the post. You're right, I don't want to move too quickly.

Royal Arch masonic.

Another step I would love to take some day along with Scottish Rite and York Rite, maybe even Shriners but, at this time, I really don’t have the time to properly give to much beyond the Blue Lodge.

Remember, the Lodge has its place in your life’s priorities and it’s not at the top. It is not intended to interfere but to enhance.

FarmerTan

Another step I would love to take some day along with Scottish Rite and York Rite, maybe even Shriners but, at this time, I really don’t have the time to properly give to much beyond the Blue Lodge.

Remember, the Lodge has its place in your life’s priorities and it’s not at the top. It is not intended to interfere but to enhance.

Well said.

Thanks, that's a good way to look at it.

One of the reasons I left was that I was not ready to move beyond the Sr. Deacon's chair. Leadership was quite adamant that I do so. I'm of Dutch descent, so it's hard to out-stubborn me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
QUOTE="Bakker1964, post: 11161884, member: 123574"]
One of the reasons I left was that I was not ready to move beyond the Sr. Deacon's chair. Leadership was quite adamant that I do so. I'm of Dutch descent, so it's hard to out-stubborn me.
[/QUOTE]
Like you, I moved up to the Sr. Deacon's chair and thoroughly enjoyed the journey. By continuing, I would have been getting more into the "management" of the lodge. This was not something that I desired.

Fortunately I received no pressure to continue towards the south, west or east. There were/are many other aspects of my lodge that I could get involved with.

It is interesting with regard to new lodge members. My lodge here in the Philippines, Datu Lapu-Lapu lodge 374, has over 20 partitioners in waiting. Most are in their 20's and early 30's.

Top Bottom