What's new

Masons? Shriners?

I have heard that attracting young members is more difficult. As you mention, there's the time constraints and family commitments, but there's other things too.

I had no shortage of friends, had established good contacts with everyone I needed to know. My life was full, and I could pick up the phone and get stuff done quickly when a situation needed a different skill set to my own. Online
social networking has reduced the need for face to face networking for many people, and if you want to know the secrets, you can find those online too :D

There's also the fact that many more people today will answer "no", when asked if they believe in G_d, and baulk at the idea of addressing someone as a worshipful master. Freethinking people can make good friends, network, and do good deeds, without having to put on a pinny.

I would tend to agree that availability of all things “online” has had a major impact on membership. Online can not and should not replace face to face interactions with other humans. I am no stranger to online communications and use them all the time. Traveling to Toronto last weekend for Rameses Shrine Potentate Ball meeting old friends and making new friends, that experience can not be duplicated via the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Past Master of Three Rivers Lodge #733 in Fort Wayne, IN
I am now a member of three lodges in three different jurisdictions (We move a lot lol) I am also a member of the Scottish Rite, Guthrie Oklahoma and India Shrine in Oklahoma City

I was just wondering if we have any Masons or Shriners among us? I am a MM Guttenberg Lodge No. 737 and Noble in Cyprus Shrine No. 5 both in the Albany, NY area.
Yep.
  • 3rd Degree Master Mason (Raised May 2005)
  • Past Master at Northern Lodge #278 in New Hope, Alabama

"To be one, ask one." is the mantra. Masons don't solicit.

I was actually joking about you dodging the bullet. It really is a fine organization and it definitely made me a better man when I was more of a kid. Made some great friends.
So mote it be! 35+ years here on the square

The work is much different in the UK lodges than in the US. Freemasons Hall in London should be on all Brothers places to visit list!

I’ve visited Great queen street and took the tour of the building. I sat in lodge and watched an EA Degree in Surrey. I want to go back again soon.

I’ve visited Great queen street and took the tour of the building. I sat in lodge and watched an EA Degree in Surrey. I want to go back again soon.

Really different isn’t it? Did someone tell you in advance to wear a black suit? Next time if you can visit while someone is being raised.

Really different isn’t it? Did someone tell you in advance to wear a black suit? Next time if you can visit while someone is being raised.

Oh yeah. I knew about the suit. This was around 2004 and I used to hang out on thefreemason.com forum. It’s an UK forum so I knew what I needed.

Only problem I had was I wasn’t a Past Master then and I needed to bring my own regalia so I took my leather apron over with me. It worked out ok but it took a while to convince them I was a MM because of my plain apron (which is what Entered App-entices wear in England)

Oh yeah. I knew about the suit. This was around 2004 and I used to hang out on thefreemason.com forum. It’s an UK forum so I knew what I needed.

Only problem I had was I wasn’t a Past Master then and I needed to bring my own regalia so I took my leather apron over with me. It worked out ok but it took a while to convince them I was a MM because of my plain apron (which is what Entered App-entices wear in England)

I ran into the same thing when they ask for my certificate when I only could produce a current paid up dues card. But after examination they were convinced!

I went to the local lodge for the first time and had dinner with the members. Really nice group of guys, although the majority are much older than I. I’m thinking about petitioning to join, and getting involved in the charity work.

I went to the local lodge for the first time and had dinner with the members. Really nice group of guys, although the majority are much older than I. I’m thinking about petitioning to join, and getting involved in the charity work.

I highly recommend the fraternity. Being involved has certainly enriched my life. There is much to learn from the older brothers. It is also important to bring in younger members to continue the good work. Energize the Craft!

If you like what you encountered, I suggest you ask the necessary question. Age if a factor in the fraternity. We need good young men.
Yes, I did, and have the petition form. I’m looking forward to the experience. I’m at a point in my life where I want the fraternal relationships, and to become the best I can be.

I highly recommend the fraternity. Being involved has certainly enriched my life. There is much to learn from the older brothers. It is also important to bring in younger members to continue the good work. Energize the Craft!

That’s what everyone I talked to said as well; that it’s added tremendous value to their lives. There are a few younger guys in there, the W.M. looks to be mid-thirties. They all said they need younger members to pass the torch to.

That’s what everyone I talked to said as well; that it’s added tremendous value to their lives. There are a few younger guys in there, the W.M. looks to be mid-thirties. They all said they need younger members to pass the torch to.

Remember this: dont walk, RUN from anyone that says this. They are looking for fresh meat to put in the officer line before you are ready.

YOU must benefit from the lodge more than they benefit from you. Trust me on this. The outcome is you being overwhelmed and leaving in frustration.

Top Bottom