What's new

Masonic Razors on eBay

Does anyone know anything about these razors? Being I am a Freemason, the fact they have a square and compass on them draws me to them. :thumbup:

EDIT: Links removed. Please do not post live eBay links.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The guy is selling Kriegar (very poor quality) and Sweeney Todd replicas, so to buy a $16.00 razor from him for anything other than a display piece wouldn't seem to be a wise move.

If your that interested, buy a decent vintage razor and send it off to have it laser etched. There are people on this forum that do that sort of thing (laser etching).

wade & Butcher notably made 'Masonic' razors, where the blade was etched with the square and compass and various other designs but these are, unsurprisingly, quite a rare find these days, most being in collections. I do have one myself and count that lucky even though the etching is pretty faint by now. Expect to pay $200+ now for a Wade or other vintage maker in just about any condition - a very good one? The sky's the limit.

old masonic razors pop up from time to time on the bay, as has been said though, the tend to go for more than plain blades

Does anyone know anything about these razors? Being I am a Freemason, the fact they have a square and compass on them draws me to them. :thumbup:

EDIT: Links removed. Please do not post live eBay links.

Thanks in advance!

I am a Traveling Man myself. :001_smile A coin and jewelry dealer friend of mine has a very sizable collection of what I call Masonica- Masonic jewelry, coins, badges, you name it. Want me to look next time I'm there?

Good to see that there are so many others here who live by the compass, square and plumb.

FYI, I bought a very nice Wade & Butcher Masonic etched blade last month for around $160. They come up from time to time but do not seem to be very common. In my view, the W&B blades are worth owning if you are a Mason, but I don't think they have much appeal to the non-Masonic world at large.

I would absolutely avoid any of the new or no-name razors with Masonic symbols etched on them. These razors appear to be just junkers with etching on them to fool a purchaser.

Just checking in on the level.

Be nice to get a nice mason razor someday, but I need to learn how to use one first I guess.

Bingo. Most of the world, they'd be able to use one without the G- that's a Civil War-era American affectation.

I'm curious about the blade itself. If it's a decent piece of steel, then a nice rescale isn't that big a deal.
Anyone have any idea what kind of razors they are using?

I'm curious about the blade itself. If it's a decent piece of steel, then a nice rescale isn't that big a deal.
Anyone have any idea what kind of razors they are using?

I find it hard to believe you would get a decent piece of steel in a $7 razor. It is probably a paki. If you like the looks and only want to display it maybe it'd be OK, but I don't think you could ever hone that thing to shave ready. Just my 2 cents.

So does anyone have any information about this one I just picked up? I'm not having much luck finding a way to date it, other than it's older than 1890...
proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a lovely razor... It's first one i've ever seen appeared to be etched from a hand drawing.

Last edited:
Cool blade. It's going to be a son of a gun to keep the etching but I'm sure it can be done by the right person.

Cool score!

I know of a masonic razor nearby... maybe i should go back and pick it up. Didn't realize it was a sought after item, instead i picked up a 6/8 Made for Army, John Heiffor wedge.

Top Bottom