What's new

Masonic Razor Resto Suggestions

Just scored this 6/8 masonic razor on eBay!
I've honed, polished and peened before but only on SRs that kept all original parts. This will be my first scales replacement.
Would you shavers suggest bone, horn or celluloid...and what are pros/cons of each?
I don't have a drill press, just a dremel (OK; I said the dreaded "D" word).
For those of us that don't own a drill press, any suggestions for pin hole drilling?
Thanks!

Attachments

• razor1.jpg
    razor1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 52
  • razor2.jpg
    razor2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 52
Can’t find it off hand, but I have seen mention here of a dremel attachment to allow it to work like a press.

I don’t know much about scales, but horn that has a mix of light and dark color looks nice.

I would repair the scales. I've seen guys make scales in a LOT worse shape made to look great again. A guy on another forum has worked magic using big oak dust and structural epoxy for horn repair. He even fixed a scale that was missing a section off the end!

I would repair the scales. I've seen guys make scales in a LOT worse shape made to look great again. A guy on another forum has worked magic using big oak dust and structural epoxy for horn repair. He even fixed a scale that was missing a section off the end!
That sounds like a great idea! I'd love to keep the original scales. I'll have to find out how to do that. Thanks Joshua!

I'll try to get you more info.

You can clean up the face of the blade a little with something like 0000 steel wool, but don't try anything coarse. I have a different masonic blade that was one of my first projects and I blew the border of the etching trying to buff around it and make most of the blade look 'pretty'.

Don't try using liquid rust removers either!!

Soaking the scales in neatsfoot oil for a week will hydrate them, but do it LAST. If the scales are loaded with oil, then adhesives may not bond as well.
Scales can be polished with 0000 fine steel wool or micromesh.

To be honest it would be better to make new scales out of black horn, but if you really want to keep the old ones you will need a donner scale to sand down to get the dust.

This is one I did that had split on the side.....

3.jpg 20180121_154254.jpg 20180121_154333.jpg

Just noticed you asked about celluloid for NEW scales. Celluloid is the type of plastic that they used when older razors were in production. It can shrink, discolor, deteriorate, or in some cases produce a gas that rusts the blades.
You would use a modern plastic/resin to make scales. Kirinite is a good material with a lot of cool designs and color options.
Do a search for Micarta and G10. That is what they use to make scales for knives and some modern razors.
It is really durable.

Top Bottom