What's new

Masonic Razor Resto Suggestions

If you don't have the materials to do a repair job, making new scales may be cheaper since structural epoxy isn't cheap and you would still need to get some horn or bog oak for the dust . It will be more work, but it may be more practical.
Better? That is subjective.
I have a scrap materials so making invisible repairs are a lot easier for me than scrapping good scales. I like scales to be rounded completely rounded like the originals, which takes more time than beveling the edges.

The video of Charlie Lewis making custom scales is invaluable if you haven't made any before! Great information. Definitely works on horn, but harder materials like bone are going to be a harder to cut and shape.

@FarmerTan
Lewis also has a video of him forging a razor. Really good watch. You can see how much attention to detail he puts into his work. A real artist.

If you don't have the materials to do a repair job, making new scales may be cheaper since structural epoxy isn't cheap and you would still need to get some horn or bog oak for the dust . It will be more work, but it may be more practical.
Better? That is subjective.
I have a scrap materials so making invisible repairs are a lot easier for me than scrapping good scales. I like scales to be rounded completely rounded like the originals, which takes more time than beveling the edges.

The video of Charlie Lewis making custom scales is invaluable if you haven't made any before! Great information. Definitely works on horn, but harder materials like bone are going to be a harder to cut and shape.

@FarmerTan
Lewis also has a video of him forging a razor. Really good watch. You can see how much attention to detail he puts into his work. A real artist.
I would love to buy a razor from Lewis but his website says he's on hiatus and there are none listed for sale.
Can you suggest other razor makers/sellers like him?
I checked out Maggard; he has pre shaped horn scales for for $65 but his blanks are only $9 each. I will give a go at making my own horn scales with hand tools; the supplies seem pretty inexpensive, just got to put in the time which is the fun of it. Being that I'm a tattoo artist and good with my hands this looks promising. If I can figure out how to do this I'd never have to buy scales again and could make them however I like!
Thanks for the info.

Charlie Lewis isn't currently making razors.

Bruno of Snail Forge actually made a razor recently with input from Charlie that was beautiful. Bruno makes his own Wootz steel.
Bluesman Blades are also great. He does full bellied hollow grinds and really thin grinds you don't see from many makers.
Don't own any customs myself, hope to someday!

Top Bottom