What's new

Mason Bees

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Picked up this little house at Lowes. It's a Mason Bee hut or house. The bees pack pollen in the back of the one of the tubes, lay an egg and then pack it shut with mud or grass clippings. They are non-aggressive so don't worry that they will sting you or your kids. I put it out about two weeks ago, went to check it and there were 6 tubes packed....what??? I've got a garden so they will pollinate all my tomatoes, etc.

Go get one and see what happens.

20200610_135945.jpg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Same as "carpenter bees?"

Bah! Those things drill holes in your wood around here. As in "drill half-inch holes in your house."

Maybe not the same bee.

AA

And Mason Bees are more active than honeybees in pollinating your plants and trees. While better at pollination, you can't harvest the honey but they are great bees to have around.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Update:

The Mason bee house is totally full of activity. I've got 6 tunnels stuffed with mud/grass. They are coming and going right around your head as you look in close to the house.

Picked up this little house at Lowes. It's a Mason Bee hut or house. The bees pack pollen in the back of the one of the tubes, lay an egg and then pack it shut with mud or grass clippings. They are non-aggressive so don't worry that they will sting you or your kids. I put it out about two weeks ago, went to check it and there were 6 tubes packed....what??? I've got a garden so they will pollinate all my tomatoes, etc.

Go get one and see what happens.

Very cool! Those types of structures support a variety of pollinators and beneficial insects. I made similar frames (4-6 inches deep) with stacked bark, sticks, and various hollow items. Japanese Knotweed stems make nice hollow spaces.

Tom

Same as "carpenter bees?"

Bah! Those things drill holes in your wood around here. As in "drill half-inch holes in your house."

Maybe not the same bee.

AA
Carpenter bees are annoying. Perfect 1/2" holes all over my back deck. I bought a carpenter bee trap last year to deal with them.

I've always think of mason bees too late in the year. We do have a lot of flowering plants - the lavender practically vibrates. The bees around here seem to be having a good year.

thankfully, I haven't seen any yellow jackets around our property. nasty buggers.

-jim

Top Bottom